Spyder Garage

Default High speed vibration

Hi folks. New owner in north Phoenix AZ - 2017 RTS. Loving it! I've read through pages of the RT section and noted several posts about belt vibration and tensioners (not sure if that's a word). Anyway, I've only put 200-is miles on mine so far, bought brand new, and I've stuck mostly to side roads in order to familiarize myself with handling, turning, braking, etc. During the few times (3x I can think of), when reaching freeway speeds, I notice both vibration and sound - both of which disappear if I drop speed below 73mph or so. Is that the belt tension issue or related to break-in? I'm varying RPMs as advised by my dealer, but haven't gone much over 4K RPMs, hence wondering. TIA! Sean
    Last edited by spdmarine; 10-16-2017 at 05:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome to SpyderLyfe and congrats on your new Spyder

The vibration that you feel around the interstate speed of 75 is common to the longer belt/ 1330 engine platform. My 2015 RT still has it periodically and either I have become used to it or it lessened a little after I reduced the tension and both the belt and bike got a few more miles. Many have employed the BRP or other aftermarket tensioners with good results, and some of us have just more tolerance and learned to avoid that harmonic frequency.

Read up on the Do's and Don'ts and mainly just RYDE, RYDE, RYDE. Enjoy your new world of wind therapy!!
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Congrats on the new RT!!
    After living with that vibration since 2014 we sell a kit that will stop that based upon BRP's one for the F3. Ours uses a double bearing design and where they use plastic we use aluminum.

http://dochumphreys.wixsite.com/road...amper-products

View with big computer only. Let me know if you need anything explained.

Spyder Garage

Default Come see us in Surprise!

We will be there in December. Come meet a bunch of great people. See the thread about Surprise. If you want, we can install Doc’s belt tensioner. Meanwhile, ride it!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BAD VIBES

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    The vibration that you feel around the interstate speed of 75 is common to the longer belt/ 1330 engine platform. My 2015 RT still has it periodically and either I have become used to it or it lessened a little after I reduced the tension and both the belt and bike got a few more miles. Many have employed the BRP or other aftermarket tensioners with good results, and some of us have just more tolerance and learned to avoid that harmonic frequency.

Read up on the Do's and Don'ts and mainly just RYDE, RYDE, RYDE. Enjoy your new world of wind therapy!!
    I run my belt of the loose side ( 170 lbs. Kritkit ) I have no Vibes ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I run my belt of the loose side ( 170 lbs. Kritkit ) I have no Vibes ..... Mike
    Yeah, but Mike, you don't tell them you weigh about a buck forty soaking wet....

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BELT & WEIGHT

Quote Originally Posted by Roadster Renovations View Post
    Yeah, but Mike, you don't tell them you weigh about a buck forty soaking wet....
    ... To the best of my knowledge ... BRP doesn't alter Belt tension specs based on Driver , or passenger weights .... I could be wrong ( it wouldn't be the first time ) .......... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Belt adjustment

I'm not sure I'm up to adjusting belt tension, even though I have read the "Do's and Don't" and the Owner's Manual. In fact I read through that thread before I made my purchase. I'm guessing based on y'alls responses that the belt won't stretch or the vibration go away with time / miles. I'm happy enough to driver over 75-ish and make it go away, but will continue familiarizing myself with the machine by neighborhood and under-70 miles.

As for December: I'm IN! Let me know when and where please? I'm dying to meet other Spyder riders locally and learn all I can.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spdmarine View Post
    I'm not sure I'm up to adjusting belt tension, even though I have read the "Do's and Don't" and the Owner's Manual. In fact I read through that thread before I made my purchase. I'm guessing based on y'alls responses that the belt won't stretch or the vibration go away with time / miles. I'm happy enough to driver over 75-ish and make it go away, but will continue familiarizing myself with the machine by neighborhood and under-70 miles.

As for December: I'm IN! Let me know when and where please? I'm dying to meet other Spyder riders locally and learn all I can.
    Looking forward to meeting you in December

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on your spyder andto the spyder web. Dale

Spyder Garage

Default Vibration

Is the vibration something that affects some but not all Spyders? I'm at nearly 500 miles on my new Spyder and have been driving 70+ all over town, plus a lot of city streets. Probably at least 40-50% of my riding has been on freeways where I would expect to encounter vibrations -- but I don't. I can obviously tell the motor is running but otherwise I have never noticed ANY vibration at all. The ride seems exceptionally smooth, in fact. Since I've been reading this forum I've actually been looking for vibrations like others are experiencing and I'm just not feeling it. At 70-80, my mirrors are perfectly clear, and my wife who is totally sensitive to such things hasn't felt anything in the back seat, either. I thought maybe it was something that would crop up later once the Spyder was better broken in, but now I see that the OP is experiencing it with fewer miles than I've ridden, so it's not a break-in issue. I figure either it must only afflict certain Spyders and I got lucky, or else I'm just totally insensitive to the issue. Maybe because I came to the Spyder from a motorcycle and I'm so used to vibrations from that bike that the **comparative** lack of vibrations in the Spyder makes me think there are none?

For those with the vibration problem, I wonder also whether vibrations might actually be caused by tires just slightly out of balance. Sometimes tires aren't completely balanced internally and that can cause minor vibrations in a car. Maybe the same on a Spyder, and if that was the case, it would be much more noticeable at high speed. It might also explain why the OP has vibrations with a new Spyder and I don't. I suggest he have the tire balance checked before doing anything else.
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

and on your new RT. Most have you covered on the vibration and do's and don'ts section.

Some of the 's do have some issues with "harmonics." Ball park 3500 rpm's at 65 and in sixth is good. The rpm's will climb slightly higher as the speed goes up.

I have never encountered the phenomenon, but the cure is there. Meeting up with Squared Away and getting the adaptor installed--should help. Say hello to Joe and Ann for us.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post
    Is the vibration something that affects some but not all Spyders? I'm at nearly 500 miles on my new Spyder and have been driving 70+ all over town, plus a lot of city streets. Probably at least 40-50% of my riding has been on freeways where I would expect to encounter vibrations -- but I don't. I can obviously tell the motor is running but otherwise I have never noticed ANY vibration at all. The ride seems exceptionally smooth, in fact. Since I've been reading this forum I've actually been looking for vibrations like others are experiencing and I'm just not feeling it. At 70-80, my mirrors are perfectly clear, and my wife who is totally sensitive to such things hasn't felt anything in the back seat, either. I thought maybe it was something that would crop up later once the Spyder was better broken in, but now I see that the OP is experiencing it with fewer miles than I've ridden, so it's not a break-in issue. I figure either it must only afflict certain Spyders and I got lucky, or else I'm just totally insensitive to the issue. Maybe because I came to the Spyder from a motorcycle and I'm so used to vibrations from that bike that the **comparative** lack of vibrations in the Spyder makes me think there are none?

For those with the vibration problem, I wonder also whether vibrations might actually be caused by tires just slightly out of balance. Sometimes tires aren't completely balanced internally and that can cause minor vibrations in a car. Maybe the same on a Spyder, and if that was the case, it would be much more noticeable at high speed. It might also explain why the OP has vibrations with a new Spyder and I don't. I suggest he have the tire balance checked before doing anything else.
    Our RT started out that way also for about 3-4,000 miles. We first noticed it on the interstate going down hill at about 75 and it just got worse after that. This vibration is in the top of the belt. Our Damper stops it cold. Tire balance or rather imbalance will occur at lower speeds. In fact, the faster you go the less you will notice an out of balance tire.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnsimion View Post

I had vibration on my 2015. I did take the front tire off and had them balanced. It sure made a big difference. Mind is like yours I keep looking for vibration from everyone on here saying they had vibration. Last week I purchased Doc's belt vibration damper. I did not think I really needed it but I do see a difference at 70 and above. For what it cost I am glad I put it on. I would buy it again.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS