Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default SENA 10S, Why does it take 5 seconds for the intercom to connect ?

I tap the big button to talk to my passenger and have to wait at least 5 seconds before the intercom connects.
    It can be inconvenient when I want to point something out on the road.
    By the time the intercom connects, we may be past whatever it was that I wanted to point out.
    The SMH-10 does the same thing.
    Is there some setting I've got wrong or is this a "feature" of bluetooth ?
    Last edited by ThreeWheels; 10-18-2017 at 06:44 PM.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I tap the big button to talk to my passenger and have to wait at least 5 seconds before the intercom connects. The SMH-10 does the same thing. Is there some setting I've got wrong or is this a "feature" of bluetooth ?
    I've got the 20S, so can't speak to the setting. But, it's not because of bluetooth per se because mine stays connected and active; if it should go off, tapping the big button instantly reconnects. Actually, this is a mixed bag because when one of us sneezes or coughs it can shatter the other's eardrum!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just leave mine on intercom all the time. No need to tap any buttons.

Current Ride
    2015 RT-S SM6 Cocaine
    Pearl White
    Diamond R Web Armrests
    Shorty Windshield

Previous Ride
    2012 RT SM5 The Beast
    Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

We listen to music until we need to "intercom" and while maybe not 5 sec. there is a delay, (SMH10) IMO just the way it is.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a Sean 10 and once I have pared with another unit it is really just an open microphone.

If they were pared and both are turned on, then both need to tap the jog dial within 5 seconds of each other. They are then connected and you do not have to do anything, it is an established Bluetooth connection.

You DO NOT have to push anything to talk, it is not a CB or shortwave, you are linked and connected until you turn them off, get out of range or lose power. Simple!

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Joe,

Are you able to listen to music at the same time? If so, please provide step-by-step instructions for pairing the headsets. My setup is like that of other responders in that i have music or talk by not both at the same time.

Thanks,

CC

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    I have a Sean 10 and once I have pared with another unit it is really just an open microphone.

If they were pared and both are turned on, then both need to tap the jog dial within 5 seconds of each other. They are then connected and you do not have to do anything, it is an established Bluetooth connection.

You DO NOT have to push anything to talk, it is not a CB or shortwave, you are linked and connected until you turn them off, get out of range or lose power. Simple!

Joe

I agree with MOST of what Buckeye says. We use the SMH5 units. These pair to my phone within a couple of seconds but for some reason they take well over a full minute to pair with each other for intercom use. Once paired for intercom use, I agree with Buckeye that they're just like an open microphone and instantly available. Where I disagree may be a case of our SMH5s versus his SMH10s operating differently. All I can say is that with our SMH5's, once paired it only takes ONE person to tap ONE jog dial to start the intercom. Once ONE person taps the jog dial, the intercom is instantly available. With our units, if we both tapped the jog dial within 5 seconds as Buckeye suggests, we would actually lose connection (one would connect and the second would cut it off).
    2017 RTS , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    We listen to music until we need to "intercom" and while maybe not 5 sec. there is a delay, (SMH10) IMO just the way it is.
    Now it makes sense. You need to upgrade to the 20 or 30 series that do audio multitasking rather than manually switching back and forth from music to intercom. The 10 series only maintain one audio connection at a time. Limitation of the device.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default Nolans Here

We have Nolan helmets, so naturally we have their intercom. We have the B5s. We have our helmets paired to each other and the intercoms connect with a push of a button and stayed connected. When she gets a phone call we disconnect, but reconnect when the call is over. I am trying to find out if we can listen to music through the aux setting on the bike we have a 2013 RTL.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Now it makes sense. You need to upgrade to the 20 or 30 series that do audio multitasking rather than manually switching back and forth from music to intercom. The 10 series only maintain one audio connection at a time. Limitation of the device.
    So the 20 or 30 series keeps the music on AND the intercom ?
    I had a wired intercom system that was set for VOX. When you started talking, it would lower the volume of the music but not cut it out completely.
    When you stopped talking, the music volume came back on.
    Is that the way the 20 series works, or do I misunderstand ?
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam and Pebbles View Post
    Ditto

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam and Pebbles View Post
    x 2. That tap the button and wait thingy looses its luster fast. And...what if you have to communicate quickly in a pending emergency. "Pothole left/right !" etc.

We just leave the line open all the time. It does not have any effect on battery life. We can ride all day and not run out of juice. Sometimes, if we forget to charge, we can still go another day or two.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-06-2019 at 05:46 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    x 2. That tap the button and wait thingy looses its luster fast. And...what if you have to communicate quickly in a pending emergency. "Pothole!" etc.

We just leave the line open all the time. It does not have any effect on battery life. We can ride all day and not run out of juice. Sometimes, if we forget to charge, we can still go another day or two.
    On the Spyder, we listen to music through the headsets when not chatting with each other. That's why we have to tap the button when we want to talk. On the slopes, we just need the intercom.

2 Capture Susan.jpg
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

Default Firmware update

Try plugging the devices into a computer and go to the SENA site and make sure you have the most current firmware update. I started having issues with an SMH-10 and a firmware update solved it.

I tap the big button to talk to my passenger and have to wait at least 5 seconds before the intercom connects.
    By the time the intercom connects, we may be past whatever it was that I wanted to point out.

Spyder Garage

I think someone made the suggestion about how you are paired go to your settings and unpair everything on your sena then start by pairing the headsets together 1st and then you Garmin and then phone...try that ...what I would do is make sure you have the latest update then do a factory reset on both headsets and then re pair in the above order.

So here is my problem on my 10S and I hope I can get as much input as possible to see if it is only me with this problem. My Garmin 590 paired to my Sena 10S when the Garmin gives me directions some are broken up the first part of the directions are garbled so much that I can not make out what is said, this is not all the time some directions are crystal clear but a lot are not.
    Does anyone out there with the same set up have the same problem, been fighting this problem since October 2017... any suggestions??
    Last edited by spydernatic; 04-12-2018 at 11:53 AM.

2017 RT Limited
    2017 RT Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydernatic View Post
    I think someone made the suggestion about how you are paired go to your settings and unpair everything on your sena then start by pairing the headsets together 1st and then you Garmin and then phone...try that ...what I would do is make sure you have the latest update then do a factory reset on both headsets and then re pair in the above order.

So here is my problem on my 10S and I hope I can get as much input as possible to see if it is only me with this problem. My Garmin 590 paired to my Sena 10S when the Garmin gives me directions some are broken up the first part of the directions are garbled so much that I can not make out what is said, this is not all the time some directions are crystal clear but a lot are not.
    Does anyone out there with the same set up have the same problem, been fighting this problem since October 2017... any suggestions??
    I have the BRP Dongle.
    My phone, the other headset and the dongle are paired to the SENA.
    My GPS plays through the dongle as well as the music.
    The priorities for over riding the signals is based on the source, not the order of pairing.
    IBA #47122

Spyder Garage

What is a BRP Dongle and would it make using a Sena device with a GPS and phone easier, is it easy to install and where can I buy one?
    I have the BRP Dongle.
    My phone, the other headset and the dongle are paired to the SENA.
    My GPS plays through the dongle as well as the music.
    The priorities for over riding the signals is based on the source, not the order of pairing.

Spyder Garage

OK, here's the latest for anyone who is interested.

I bought a pair of SENA 20S units for use on the Spyder. The intercom connects almost immediately. That solved the problem we were having with the delayed intercom connection allowing us to better point out scenery, etc.

This left me with a pair of SENA SMH-10 headsets that took 5 to 10 seconds to go into intercom mode.
    What to do ? I couldn't sell them, seeing as how I was dissatisfied with their performance.

So I recycled them !!!

I mounted them to each ski helmet. We keep the units in standby to save the battery while on the lift, and just turn the intercom on while going down the slopes. It's not an issue of it takes a few seconds to connect initially.
    This way I can talk to the remarkable Susan while skiing.

What a BLAST !!.

The only downside is, I look a little dorky with the headset and my camera both mounted on my helmet.
    Well,maybe I'm pretty dorky all the time..........................................

As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.

FILE0283.jpg
    PH000008.jpg
    FILE0191.jpg
    IBA #47122