Spyder Garage

Default 09 RS Seat Modifications

09 RS is my first bike and I do love her but the comfort level on the seat pushing forward is killing me lol.. In the next couple of years I plan on upgrading but its not possible at this time. Neither is a 500.00 new seat. So my question is has anyone Modified their actual stock seat. I found a kit but I am kind of afraid of cutting up the original esp if I plan on trading in a couple years...... Anyo

Spyder Garage

A common complaint about the stock riding position. More like crotch rocket--IMO--and I had both an 08 and 09 version. We put handlebar risers (3 to 4 inch and not the OEM 1.5 inch). You may have to do a search to find them--but a more upright seating position may improve your ride. Good luck on your hunt.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome , welcome....

We have a vendor/sponsor here...motorcycle dave and he sells a gel kit you can install yourself for 80.00. Many have gone to the local car seat guys and they can modify your seat so it is more comfortable. I have the comfort seat but look long and hard to find a deal on ebay, amazon, here. Most will level the seat and leave the passenger a bit higher giving you some support and 2" more space...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Other than looking for a used "comfort" seat, you might ask locally if there's a motorcycle saddle shop that can recontour a stock seat. They can peel back the cover and shave off some foam to "dish" out the stock seat area.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Firstly I'm probably not the best person to ask as I actually didn't mind the stock seat on the RS.

However on a long ride earlier this year the seat foam did give up the ghost and never really recovered so I got one of "Motorcycle Dave's" Gel inserts. When I fitted it I also replaced some of the original foam at the sides and padded it out slightly further towards the front to stop my thighs from rubbing against the seat edge. Far more comfortable now with the mods.

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When I got my '09 I knew the seating position was not going to work for me. I took a different track. I put handle bar risers on and invented the Seal RS SE5 Floorboards. I ended up sitting upright, much like the F3 position. Problem more than solved. check it out on my website.
    Ride ib comfort,
    John

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default YES I CAN HELP

You have a simple to cure problem, It will be much easier if
    you can call me so I can explain what to do,
    209-887-3283 feel free to call 9:00AM to 8:00PM 7 days a week
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by tsandifer View Post
    09 RS is my first bike and I do love her but the comfort level on the seat pushing forward is killing me lol.. In the next couple of years I plan on upgrading but its not possible at this time. Neither is a 500.00 new seat. So my question is has anyone Modified their actual stock seat. I found a kit but I am kind of afraid of cutting up the original esp if I plan on trading in a couple years...... Anyo

Spyder Garage

Default 09 comfort

I also have a 2009 RS SE5 and am interested in improving comfort of mine.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black