Spyder Garage

Default F3T - Rattling Mirror - 5 minutes solution !

Like many of you I had some noise coming from rattling mirror on my F3T.

To get rid of this, here's what I did.

first, I removed the platic cover by pulling it out.

From there, you can see that the mirror part is kind of loose and on my Spyder, it was that movement that was causing the rattling noise.

So, I just Removed the screw that was keeping the mirror in place
    F3T - Mirror (2) - Copie.jpg

And I put a small amount of hot glue on both holes that are keeping the part in place at the other end.

F3T - Mirror (4) - Copie.jpg

Before the glue was completely hard, I just replace the mirror in place and put back the screw.

Using hot glue will allow me to remove the mirror if needed, but will also fill the gap between the small pin and the hole, preventing any unwanted movement and noise.

After a road test, the annoying rattling noise was gone.

5 minutes solution for something that was about to drive me insane...
    X-Grip Ram Mount Phone Holder, Lamonster Fog and driving lights, BRP Heated grip, Home made rear rack + Shad SH58X top case, BRP belt tensioner
    2016 F3T , Red

Spyder Garage

Great solution, thanks for posting.
    Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MagYukon View Post

OMG! Thank you for this post! I have been unable to find this rattle. Rode with empty bags, all the undercovers duct taped, some of the body panels removed and all along it was the mirrors! I owe you a beer or two or more!
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlebars View Post
    OMG! Thank you for this post! I have been unable to find this rattle. Rode with empty bags, all the undercovers duct taped, some of the body panels removed and all along it was the mirrors! I owe you a beer or two or more!
    My pleasure !

If it can help someone else not going crazy about this rattling sound
    But I'm always up for a beer
    X-Grip Ram Mount Phone Holder, Lamonster Fog and driving lights, BRP Heated grip, Home made rear rack + Shad SH58X top case, BRP belt tensioner
    2016 F3T , Red

Spyder Garage

hi i have a f3T and a mirror issue
    one of the mirrors vibrates/shakes highly at medium speeds--
    so i checked the tightness of the mirror housing and there is more play that left one than the right one but both seem to be a bit too loose for a proper tight seal--
    do you think your fix here would apply to that visual disturbance--i frankly havent gone fast enough yet to maybe notice that annoying noise you reference....

Quote Originally Posted by MagYukon View Post

first, I removed the platic cover by pulling it out.

From there, you can see that the mirror part is kind of loose and on my Spyder, it was that movement that was causing the rattling noise.

So, I just Removed the screw that was keeping the mirror in place

And I put a small amount of hot glue on both holes that are keeping the part in place at the other end.

Before the glue was completely hard, I just replace the mirror in place and put back the screw.

Using hot glue will allow me to remove the mirror if needed, but will also fill the gap between the small pin and the hole, preventing any unwanted movement and noise.

After a road test, the annoying rattling noise was gone.

5 minutes solution for something that was about to drive me insane...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Petrom714 View Post
    hi i have a f3T and a mirror issue
    one of the mirrors vibrates/shakes highly at medium speeds--
    so i checked the tightness of the mirror housing and there is more play that left one than the right one but both seem to be a bit too loose for a proper tight seal--
    do you think your fix here would apply to that visual disturbance--i frankly havent gone fast enough yet to maybe notice that annoying noise you reference....
    Petrom, do a search for F3 mirror vibration, and there are a number of different “fixes” that you will find there, including double sided tape in the body. I haven’t posted a link as I am heading out, but they are easily findable and you should find a solution for your particular issue.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the idea! I have a 2014RTS-SE6.

My right side mirror is loose. I'll try that idea.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Do as Pete suggests...

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Petrom, do a search for F3 mirror vibration, and there are a number of different “fixes” that you will find there, including double sided tape in the body. I haven’t posted a link as I am heading out, but they are easily findable and you should find a solution for your particular issue.

Pete
    with Pete; try double-sided tape (or just double over a small piece of tape so that it has two sticky sides). A very quick, easy and inexpensive fix that will cure both the shakiness and the vibration noise. Simply pull off cover. Remove the screw that holds mirror in place at outer edge. Lift out mirror. Make up two small squares of tape (3/4"). Punch a small hole in center of square. Push tape squares over the two plastic pins at inner ends of mirror; then put mirror back in place, pushing pins back into holes in housing frame. The tape will now act as a thin "cushion" between plastic pin and plastic hole. (It seems the vibration and noise are caused by the slightly loose fit between pins and holes which allows the hard plastic parts to rub or bump against each other; the tape helps prevent this.) Put holding screw back in place and tighten. Replace cover. Then go out and enjoy your ride - with solid mirrors that work without shakes and rattles.
    Last edited by bushrat; 07-09-2018 at 10:40 PM.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside