Spyder Garage

Default Mirror Extender Help

After changing to RT handlebars my mirrors are near useless. I am a huge defensive rider and not being able to see out back is annoying. I picked up a set of 2.5" mirror extenders and now I have a new problem.

i have the digital manual and hate it with a passion. I have looked through it at least 3x and found one page on how to remove the mirrors which is easy enough. It states to completely remove the mirrors the gauge cluster needs to come out to unhook the wires. I cannot find out how to do this in the manual. I don't mind but don't want to remove 1/2 the Spyder just for the gauge cluster if I don't have to. I looked on YT and nothing there other than the RT.

Does anyone have any shortcuts, maybe a step by step or a real place to look at in the manual? Thanks for any tips.
    2014 Spyder RS-S SE5
    Mods:

ST Limited Wheels
    RT Handlebars
    Ultimate Seats ST Midrider
    Lidlox Helmet Lock
    Show Chrome Brake Pedal Extension
    Excelvan X-Grip Cell Phone Holder w/USB Charger
    Much more to come......
    Ryder:
    6'-1" - 205lbs - 32"IS - 34"Reach

Spyder Garage

Default Mirror extender

Can't help with the mirrors but the cluster comes out with the insertion of a small flat blade screwdriver into the top. There are 2 small flat tabs that if you push them down towards the bottom as you pull towards the handle bars the top will come out. You can then remove the whole housing . Remove the electrical connection and set the cluster down on your work bench.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Cluster

Like Al said, 2 clips, pry top aft. Remove cluster. Unplug. Reach in, put socket on mirror mount bolts, remove. Install extenders, bolt up, replace cluster. Call me if you get stuck. Number below. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing....

You have to take the whole plug off to be able the thread the wires through. I took them apart and reassembled them but if you prefer cut the wires and splice them back little solder and heat shrink...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the tips guys. Very much appreciated. Sounds simple enough. I'll tear into it this weekend and reach out with any questions.

chupaca,
    i follow what your your saying but is that needed because more panels aren't taken off? Not sure I want to cut wires. Seeing mirrors for sale on line and on the micro fish they have the plugs already installed which leads me to believe it is a kind of plug and play. Then again that's why I am here to see what's involved before I get it all apart and get stuck.
    2014 Spyder RS-S SE5
    Mods:

ST Limited Wheels
    RT Handlebars
    Lidlox Helmet Lock
    Much more to come......
    Ryder:

Spyder Garage

Default Not sure

Quote Originally Posted by cmbspyderrss View Post
    Thanks for all the tips guys. Very much appreciated. Sounds simple enough. I'll tear into it this weekend and reach out with any questions.

chupaca,
    i follow what your your saying but is that needed because more panels aren't taken off? Not sure I want to cut wires. Seeing mirrors for sale on line and on the micro fish they have the plugs already installed which leads me to believe it is a kind of plug and play. Then again that's why I am here to see what's involved before I get it all apart and get stuck.
    The extenders I used were "up and out" which meant you had to thread the wires through them and the oem plugs were to large...
    20160324_125334.jpg you can see the blocks close to the faring. You can add TricLed wide view mirror (just go over your oem mirrors) for a better view and they seem to have a better view over the vibration as a nice side effect... all this not really knowing what you are going to use.....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    The extenders I used were "up and out" which meant you had to thread the wires through them and the oem plugs were to large...
    20160324_125334.jpg you can see the blocks close to the faring. You can add TricLed wide view mirror (just go over your oem mirrors) for a better view and they seem to have a better view over the vibration as a nice side effect... all this not really knowing what you are going to use.....
    Im with you now and totally understandable.

i got these as there was zero else I could find. From what I could gather it is the same mount as the stock piece just 2.5" wider. The TricLed seems to be the way to go but only after correcting the width issue. If I move my head 1/2" I can see miles behind me so not much is needed but I know what I look like so don't want to see that all day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 Spyder RS-S SE5
    Mods:

ST Limited Wheels
    RT Handlebars
    Lidlox Helmet Lock
    Much more to come......
    Ryder: