Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default confusing

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Took my bolt off and am confused about the pictures to follow- First shows Red powder- Next 3 shots with bolt out and after I sprayed some rust away with Sea Doo Lube it appears my sprocket is in amazing shape compared to others I have seen? There is No looseness between the splines and sprocket and Don.t worry about that bolt coming loose - It Took me a Big extension to even get it to come loose. The metal ring around the inside of the sprocket seems to still be good? My only concern would be the engine splines but if that's the case it would have to wait for spring. I could Not get it to budge even a little with a pry bar different ways? What do you think??

I,m thinking put the New Bolt on -Torque to 92- adjust belt and ride?

this is getting way too confusing....
    does anyone know what BRP has to say about all of this....?
    what is the GOOD part number, which is the BAD...?
    HELP....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    this is getting way too confusing....
    does anyone know what BRP has to say about all of this....?
    what is the GOOD part number, which is the BAD...?
    HELP....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

There is only one part number sprocket available for the F3. BRP has not solved or made recommendations on this issue as yet but they are aware of it and said to be working on it.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default NOT SO

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    There is only one part number sprocket available for the F3. BRP has not solved or made recommendations on this issue as yet but they are aware of it and said to be working on it.
    NOT SO.....
    there are no less than 2, maybe a 3rd.... mine current sprocket ends in 2131, and the original, the one that failed, and others i've seen end in 2134...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Default WORD FROM BRP CARE

Ok, I just received an email from Aurelie at BRP Care regarding if my new sprocket was on backwards. I quote: "the front sprocket cannot be installed wrong-way-around, it would not fit. There is an offset which prevents this from happening. The X shows the outside." So I am now relieved that my sprocket is on the correct way. I will print their email for my records.

2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Default WORK ORDER

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    Ok, I just received an email from Aurelie at BRP Care regarding if my new sprocket was on backwards. I quote: "the front sprocket cannot be installed wrong-way-around, it would not fit. There is an offset which prevents this from happening. The X shows the outside." So I am now relieved that my sprocket is on the correct way. I will print their email for my records.

JKM;
    does your Work Order state which part number was installed...?
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

I think she is just as uninformed as the guy who installed it? Not your fault! It clearly goes with the #s facing out So it fits more snuggly and closer to the engine. IMO she doesn't have a clue-

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

As others have said- My Box said the 2134 Number BUT the actual Sprocket said 2131 Just like my original one did.

Spyder Garage

The only thing I can do at this point is ride it like I stole it. If BRP says it is OK then I will live with it. Maybe I have the newest greatest part that BRP has issued and the X is supposed to be on the outside.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid

Spyder Garage

My goodness. So am I reading this wrong, or is BRP Care saying that all of us who can see our sprocket part numbers and not the X have had our sprockets installed the wrong way round at manufacture?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

.....obviously - or the latest, greatest and newest pulley has the X's on the outside just to confuse absolutely everyone, including their repairers.

It'd be interesting to know what part number, if any, is on the reverse side of those with the X showing.

This whole sorry saga is UNBELIEVABLE!!!

You couldn't make up a story like this even with a vivid imagination.
    Last edited by Freddy; 11-07-2017 at 07:50 PM.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Default OMG

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    My goodness. So am I reading this wrong, or is BRP Care saying that all of us who can see our sprocket part numbers and not the X have had our sprockets installed the wrong way round at manufacture?

Pete
    OMG Pete..... you just push me over the edge of the SPROCKET CLIFF.....

my part # is showing, so the sprocket that was on from the factory, with part # 2134 showing, and the new one, with part # 2131 showing, have BOTH BEEN INSTALLED INCORRECTLY.....
    MY OH MY OH MY OH MY...... what to do now....???
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Again, BRP told me the part can only be installed one way!! So maybe the latest part is supposed to be installed with the X on the outside. I have no idea if my sprocket has a # stamped on the inside. The work order said the part # ends with 2134. Does anyone have a sprocket with 2134 on the outside currently installed on their F3? That would tell us that BRP is blowing smoke.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid

Spyder Garage

Default OEM

Again, BRP told me the part can only be installed one way!! So maybe the latest part is supposed to be installed with the X on the outside. I have no idea if my sprocket has a # stamped on the inside. The work order said the part # ends with 2134. Does anyone have a sprocket with 2134 on the outside currently installed on their F3? That would tell us that BRP is blowing smoke.
    JKM;
    my original was 2134 (wish i had kept that bad-boy), and the one on my F3 now is 2131... if there is an 'X' version, this is new to me... see if you get a mirror behind it and see if there is a number...???
    dp

Spyder Garage

When I first examined my old sprocket after seeing this thread I did not see any numbers. After having the sprocket replaced my dealer showed me the old sprocket. One side had the numbers that ended in 2131. Maybe it is possible the original sprocket was installed with the numbers on the inside at the factory. BRP Care said the X should face the outside. Food for thought!
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid

Spyder Garage

so while all are taking time to deal with the apoplexy over the part number issue
    has anyone looked at whether the problem occurs with or without a belt tensioner installed?

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    so while all are taking time to deal with the apoplexy over the part number issue
    has anyone looked at whether the problem occurs with or without a belt tensioner installed?
    Since there is only about 15lbs max pressure on the Vibration Dampers, it is not going to effect anything with the splines.

Spyder Garage

When I first examined my old sprocket after seeing this thread I did not see any numbers. After having the sprocket replaced my dealer showed me the old sprocket. One side had the numbers that ended in 2131. Maybe it is possible the original sprocket was installed with the numbers on the inside at the factory. BRP Care said the X should face the outside. Food for thought!
    I sincerely Hope BRP Care and your dealer Take care of your future problems with the X's Facing Out?

When I picked up my Sprocket from my service manager Yesterday ( He's been doing this like 20 years and is BRP school certified) I told him how some dealers were putting on the sprocket Backwards with the x's Facing Out? Its better I don't tell you what he said-

Spyder Garage

I sincerely Hope BRP Care and your dealer Take care of your future problems with the X's Facing Out?

When I picked up my Sprocket from my service manager Yesterday ( He's been doing this like 20 years and is BRP school certified) I told him how some dealers were putting on the sprocket Backwards with the x's Facing Out? Its better I don't tell you what he said-
    So Sarge, your 20 year, BRP qualified service manager says the X should be facing in, and BRP Care on behalf of BRP says the X should be facing out. This is unbelievable

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I just sent an email to BRP Care asking them to respond to this thread. Hopefully they will settle this argument once and for all. My head is about to explode with all this information-disinformation.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    So Sarge, your 20 year, BRP qualified service manager says the X should be facing in, and BRP Care on behalf of BRP says the X should be facing out. This is unbelievable

Pete
    When you hold the sprocket in your hand its easy to see the x's go on the engine side because there is about a 1/2 inch indentation so the sprocket fits close to the body of the engine and there is hardly ANY torque on the engine shaft- The other way the sprocket is a 1/2 inch farther away from the engine and a LOT more lateral torque is being placed on the engine which could mean damaging the engine part- which means pulling the engine and big $$$.
    After seeing the rust on mine and then the pictures with the bolt Out showing the sprocket being like New- I would advise people that are worried by this thread to Just buy the bolt First and take the bolt off and inspect- If its fine Put on new Bolt. If its damaged THEN order a sprocket or bring to dealer.
    I think I wasted $105 But I guess I can save the sprocket and check again after about 5,000 miles to be safe.

Spyder Garage

I will call them on Tuesday and calmly explain the problem and go from there.
    Did you happen to speak to your dealer yesterday about this ??
    Marilyn 2015 RTS SE6 Red
    John 2015 F3S SE6 Silver

previous:
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

When you hold the sprocket in your hand its easy to see the x's go on the engine side because there is about a 1/2 inch indentation so the sprocket fits close to the body of the engine and there is hardly ANY torque on the engine shaft- The other way the sprocket is a 1/2 inch farther away from the engine and a LOT more lateral torque is being placed on the engine which could mean damaging the engine part- which means pulling the engine and big $$$.
    After seeing the rust on mine and then the pictures with the bolt Out showing the sprocket being like New- I would advise people that are worried by this thread to Just buy the bolt First and take the bolt off and inspect- If its fine Put on new Bolt. If its damaged THEN order a sprocket or bring to dealer.
    I think I wasted $105 But I guess I can save the sprocket and check again after about 5,000 miles to be safe.
    Excellent info, thank you Sarge! I would like to encourage you and others when inspecting their sprockets to apply the M-77 moly to the splines while you have the bolt out and sprocket pulled. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM...xU7OgC&vxp=mtr
    Cover the bolt hole with a piece of tape so no moly gets into it. Note that the directions on the back of the tube say to "Apply a thin film to clean surfaces" but it is better to apply a thicker coating covering the splines on the sprocket only. That way the excess can be cleaned off as it is pushed to the outside during assembly onto the shaft.
    Even one better is to do the extra step of sealing it off as Doc explained...
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadster Renovations View Post
    I did some research on spline failures and there is a surprising amount of information. One thing that surprised me was that the "red Rust" is not only a sign of a soon to happen failure, it also quickens it into happening. From what I'm reading, spline wear is normal. Everything wears. What they are saying is that when the wear removes the protective coating, moisture can get in and creates rust. The rust is extremely harmful to the splines and can really shorten the life. So what about sealing the spline area?
    I'm thinking that applying the moly lubricant on the splines of the pulley, then just before install applying a beard of RTV sealer around the shaft just about where the splines end and the pulley will seat. This will be sticky enough for a minute or so to stick to the pulley, making an inside seal. As someone else had mentioned, by applying the moly to just the pulley it would remove an excess as it slid on the shaft. Once installed, cleaning the outer area thoroughly will remove any excess moly, then apply a bead of RTV in the seam between the two parts. The last step would be to install and torque the bolt. The RTV will not cause any difference in the torque value and when done you will have completely airtight, waterproof, lubricated spline area that would also be sealed so that the moly couldn't get out. We use RTV in harmonic balancer applications in automotive all the time.
    Removal would also not be an issue as the RTV is not that hard to remove.

Also, there was some talk about improper tempering of the material, but we have no control over that. IMHO this above procedure should give us the best chance of the splines lasting......

Anybody see any downside that I've missed?

Spyder Garage

Did you happen to speak to your dealer yesterday about this ??

​Yes I did. They said they would get in touch with BRP and let me know when they get a reply. Also a friend of mine in SC asked his service manager to contact BRP too. The service manager said he would let my friend know when he received a reply.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    NOT SO.....
    there are no less than 2, maybe a 3rd.... mine current sprocket ends in 2131, and the original, the one that failed, and others i've seen end in 2134...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

2134 is the part number you order for the boxed replacement part version. When you take the sprocket out of the box it will have 2131 on it. 2131 is the only sprocket I have seen on any F3 from my very early 2015 to a very recent 2017 F3L.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

She is half right. There is an offset but it will not prevent anything. If the X belonged on the outside, every F3 that has rolled off the assembly line had the sprocket installed backwards.

IE the person that sent you the email is mistaken and does not work on spyders.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast