Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The plug fits quite tight. I don't think it will vibrate loose.

Spyder Garage

You guys do know you can inspect the sprocket without removing anything or drilling holes right?

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    You guys do know you can inspect the sprocket without removing anything or drilling holes right?
    ........Aaaaaaand??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Front Sprocket part Numbers

I am looking to purchase a spare front sprocket for my 2014 RTS...

The BRP parts finder list the numbers as #705501986 as a 28T front sprocket...

Is also see the 2015 RTS lists #705502137

And the 2015 F3 as #705502134

So my question is; Do all these different machines with the 1330 take a different 28T front sprocket or has just the part number changed???

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pig View Post
    ........Aaaaaaand??
    ...........it's quick, easy and trouble-free to do so.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why would you buy a spare sprocket when the failure rate is almost nothing (.001%).
    Don't get sucked into this very BS thread.
    Check for red rust every 5000 miles and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    I am looking to purchase a spare front sprocket for my 2014 RTS...

The BRP parts finder list the numbers as #705501986 as a 28T front sprocket...

Is also see the 2015 RTS lists #705502137

And the 2015 F3 as #705502134

So my question is; Do all these different machines with the 1330 take a different 28T front sprocket or has just the part number changed???

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderF3-s View Post
    The new dealer said that the shaft should have been replaced the first time because the sprocket will not fit tight and will move on the sprocket when accelerating or slowing down causing the sprocket to wear faster. This is a picture what it looks like this time.
    BS thread eh? Low numbers? Yes, but better to have a spare on hand than awaiting the arrival of a new one if it unexpectedly happens to you, unlike the unlucky owner above who's machine was up for a major rebuild after the second failure in short order.

Spyder Garage

Yeah, but that’s only if you’ve already got it up on a lift/hoist, JC. If it’s on the ground and you are about to head out and you think “oooooops, it’s been a while since I checked my front sprocket”, it would be just as quick to take the cover off as it would be to get the bike lift out....

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Yeah, but that’s only if you’ve already got it up on a lift/hoist, JC. If it’s on the ground and you are about to head out and you think “oooooops, it’s been a while since I checked my front sprocket”, it would be just as quick to take the cover off as it would be to get the bike lift out....

Pete
    If you don't mind kneeling and getting your face close to the ground, you can do it in the driveway looking along the bottom of the belt up toward the pulley and holding a flashlight on the pulley from below. Admittedly it is much easier to see from below with the bike on a lift.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Road-Kill View Post
    Why would you buy a spare sprocket when the failure rate is almost nothing (.001%).
    Don't get sucked into this very BS thread.
    Check for red rust every 5000 miles and have fun.
    It’s called insurance, Road-Kill. Some people buy insurance and some don’t. That’s their call. I have never had a puncture, but guess what......I carry a tyre repair kit and pump with me.....insurance in case I get a puncture in the middle of nowhere. A bad sprocket would be even more disabling.
    BS thread? Really? Are you saying that the claim that these sprockets fail is BS? .....or are you calling BS on those who have made the call to carry a spare for their particular circumstances.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default .006% is nothing to get into a twist over

I like to keep my life real.
    I'm calling this thread for what it is.....fear mongering BS.
    I'm also saying that with a very minor failure rate why buy something that will statistically never fail.
    Remember.........the failure rate is BELOW 1%.
    You will suffer a better chance of constipation or its evil brother diarrhea while being chased by Bigfoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    It’s called insurance, Road-Kill. Some people buy insurance and some don’t. That’s their call. I have never had a puncture, but guess what......I carry a tyre repair kit and pump with me.....insurance in case I get a puncture in the middle of nowhere. A bad sprocket would be even more disabling.
    BS thread? Really? Are you saying that the claim that these sprockets fail is BS? .....or are you calling BS on those who have made the call to carry a spare for their particular circumstances.

Pete

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

So, Roadkill, everyone is supposed to listen to you? I think the only reason you are slamming this thread that has helped numerous ryders catch theirs before they grenaded is to get it deleted. I ain't going to bite, and if I was monitoring this site, I would caution you to quit slamming people or topics that help someone, regardless how many. One thing about this thread and others is that they are a database for the future for anyone.
    I think that if you don't have anything positive and constructive to say, you need to just not say anything. Age will teach you that.

Spyder Garage

Default Sprocket BS?

Just replaced the front sprocket on both of our 2015 F3S with a little over 14,000 mi. on both bikes.
    I did the work on my wife’s bike and there was a considerable amount of rust AND the sprocket was in bad repair. My bike had a moderate amount of rust, but the splines on the sprocket were were really worn through according to the mechanic that replace it. Although I did not see the sprocket on my bike, I trust this mechanic.
    Thanks to the dialogue on this site, I was able to catch a potential problem. NOT BS
    Also, both sprockets were replace with 660 loctite.

Spyder Garage

Peteoz: My "stupid" comment was geared for those who trying to balloon this 1% issue. (actually less then 1%)

cmarsala: Less then 1% is a nothing burger and very unlikely to initiate a recall.

stebrock: Anything less then 1,000 is still less then 1% so 60-100-999 is still LESS THEN 1%.
    That 60 figure also includes people only with "rust" and not an actual failure making this argument even more pointless.

Get a grip people.
    Rust is not a cause for great concern on an unprotected weathered gear like the front sprocket. (it happens on car rotors!)
    If you see "rust" it might be a good time to have a "looksee".
    This thread tells me to do nothing but keep an eye on my bike...........LIKE I'M SUPPOSED TO DO

On a last note...I'm reading that some are playing with their belt tension and probably are the 60 with sprocket failure and thus rust.
    Don't play genius, you're not. BRP specs are there for a reason and why these machines are well built.
    In response to your post I decided to remove the plastic cover and have a "looksee". (3-5mm hex bolts)(see picture)
    Yes I have "red dust". I'm over 18,000 miles on my Spyder that I bought new this year.....trouble free.
    Can I remove the one 16mm bolt without removing the belt to have an even closer "looksee"?
    I'm making an appointment with my dealer tomorrow for the 18,000 mile service, I'll leave the cover off and ask his opinion as well.
    If I do have sprocket wear.............will BRP replace it BEFORE it fails?
    I'm not admitting that I am wrong.....yet.
    I made an appointment with my dealer for next Thursday for both my 18,000+ mile service and the evil "red dust".
    This still could be a nothing burger so I'm not admitting I was wrong.....yet.
    So until I'm told my front sprocket is grinding you can all blow it out your *sses.
    I just got home from my dealer. He told me my front sprocket is shot and will need replacement. He never ordered a new sprocket when I made the appointment 2 weeks ago. I do not know if not ordering this was a BRP or dealer mistake. Now I have to wait till the new part comes in, make an appointment and go back. I feel this was an unnecessary and easily correctable issue on both BRP and my dealer. They know as my dealer indicated this is a problem so the dealerships should have at least one sprocket in stock ready to go......but they do not.
    I like to keep my life real.
    I'm calling this thread for what it is.....fear mongering BS.
    I'm also saying that with a very minor failure rate why buy something that will statistically never fail.
    Remember.........the failure rate is BELOW 1%.
    You will suffer a better chance of constipation or its evil brother diarrhea while being chased by Bigfoot.

Road-Kill, these are just a few of your many less than helpfull posts to this thread.
    Your posts on this thread drive me nuts(probably your intention)! Your one of the less than 1%(your number) that this thread has helped!!! How can you possibly continue to criticize and call this tread BS? Please stop posting on this thread and let it help the people who really care!
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Michaelscs, It seems that this individual, Road-Kill, likes to provide his opinions on a frequent basis. I think we are all grown up enough to know that when people start bantering around statistics that they have no way of ascertaining that most of just ignore the more ignorant pronouncements. However, Road-Kill, like all of us on this forum should have the right to express his opinions even if they lack credible evidence.

One thing that is true about Forums that I have noticed over the years is that there are a few people reporting problems that do tend to get magnified possibly beyond the proportions of the actual problems. If we had everyone who has a Spyder weigh in and determine if they have had problems with the "red dust" issue, then we would know the true extent of the problem. However, it is still useful for fellow posters to share their experiences and observations without being subjected to too much negativity. Maybe Road-Kill can consider this in future posts and still get his point across without seeming to demean anyone?
    Last edited by Capt. Bob; 04-01-2018 at 02:45 PM.

Spyder Garage

The best substitute for brains is....................silence.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default A failure rate of .001% is a big nothing burger on a great machine

I had "red dust" and found it prior to failure because of this thread.
    Even with that stated I still think this issue is a big nothing burger.
    There is no citation on how many bikes suffer(ed) from this issue.
    We can "guess" it at a few hundred bikes but that is still way under 1%.
    Of that few hundred "red dusted" bikes maybe a few had epic failure on the road requiring a tow.(making it 001%?)
    My point....I don't want someone thinking the bike has a fatal flaw and not understand were the decimal point is located.

BTW...Can Am REPLACED my red dusted front sprocket and it was a stress free ordeal.

The riding season is kicking in and I plan on doing another 20,000 miles this year and not gonna worry about "red dust".

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelscs View Post
    Road-Kill, these are just a few of your many less than helpfull posts to this thread.
    Your posts on this thread drive me nuts(probably your intention)! Your one of the less than 1%(your number) that this thread has helped!!! How can you possibly continue to criticize and call this tread BS? Please stop posting on this thread and let it help the people who really care!

Spyder Garage

This all boils down to one thing;

Check your front sprocket at the beginning of the season and at every oil change. More often if you feel the need to do so. If red rust is there, contact the dealer.

Spyder Garage

Has anyone here actually changed out one of the pulleys themselves? Mine has a bit of red dust on it but out of warranty. Decided to just change it out rather than wait for it to fail. I removed the bolt, removed the belt but darned if I could get the pulley off. It seems to be rusted in place. I tried a pulley puller but there is not much room around the edge of the pulley and did not want to damage it beyond use. There are no threaded holes in the face of the pulley so a jaw type puller was all I could think of. It refused to come loose. I gave up, installed and torqued a new bolt and washer.

How does one remove this pulley, there is nothing in the service manual as its not a press fit, its supposed to come off pretty easily. Do I just wait for the rust to progress and the splines to fail then it will come off when loose?

I have spoken to a few Spyder techs I know and most come off without too much persuasion. Some do not and things can get 'bad' Seems there may be more wrong with the design than just the lack of proper lubrication on the splines.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Has anyone here actually changed out one of the pulleys themselves? Mine has a bit of red dust on it but out of warranty. Decided to just change it out rather than wait for it to fail. I removed the bolt, removed the belt but darned if I could get the pulley off. It seems to be rusted in place. I tried a pulley puller but there is not much room around the edge of the pulley and did not want to damage it beyond use. There are no threaded holes in the face of the pulley so a jaw type puller was all I could think of. It refused to come loose. I gave up, installed and torqued a new bolt and washer.

How does one remove this pulley, there is nothing in the service manual as its not a press fit, its supposed to come off pretty easily. Do I just wait for the rust to progress and the splines to fail then it will come off when loose?

I have spoken to a few Spyder techs I know and most come off without too much persuasion. Some do not and things can get 'bad' Seems there may be more wrong with the design than just the lack of proper lubrication on the splines.
    i suspect you read the info and saw the photos I posted on Facebook a while back. On our 2014 the front pulley was lubricated at first assembly. No red dust, no wear and easily slid off with hand pressure.

Fretting corrosion is an unpredictable event. Obviously you had the drive belt removed, and with that the pulley is a slip fit.

My suggestion would be to add oil to the splines with the bolt and washer removed. Fire the engine and roll forward and aft, working the lube into the now excessive clearance of the splined joint.

In theory, the pulley slides off easily, however worn splines may snag that. It could also require additional rotating back and forth as you draw the pulley off the shaft.

Spyder Garage

Does this look okay to you guys?

Just looks like surface rust to me.. No sign of martian dust..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pig View Post
    Does this look okay to you guys?

Just looks like surface rust to me.. No sign of martian dust..

I think you are right. Usually will fill in the holes.

image.jpeg
    This was sent me a couple days ago by a ryder. He is getting it replaced.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roadster Renovations View Post
    I think you are right. Usually will fill in the holes.

image.jpeg
    This was sent me a couple days ago by a ryder. He is getting it replaced.
    IMG_20180501_120935703_HDR.jpg
    This is my sprocket after 10,500 miles. Guess it's time to call my original dealer, since the closer one in Stamford, CT never heard of this problem. I'll have them install a new belt that I got from Amazon, since they were telling me that mine was shot the last time I was there. Any suggestions on how to handle them if they put up a stink?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnny pop View Post
    IMG_20180501_120935703_HDR.jpg
    This is my sprocket after 10,500 miles. Guess it's time to call my original dealer, since the closer one in Stamford, CT never heard of this problem. I'll have them install a new belt that I got from Amazon, since they were telling me that mine was shot the last time I was there. Any suggestions on how to handle them if they put up a stink?
    Yep, yours got bit. I wouldn't tell them where you got the belt (has to be a BRP one anyway). I would just tell them you have a spare belt and would like it put on. Also, you might get them to warranty the belt. Ryder on FB just had his sprocket done and the dealer did the belt also.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roadster Renovations View Post
    Yep, yours got bit. I wouldn't tell them where you got the belt (has to be a BRP one anyway). I would just tell them you have a spare belt and would like it put on. Also, you might get them to warranty the belt. Ryder on FB just had his sprocket done and the dealer did the belt also.
    Is there a service bulletin # that I could quote, since this is the first they are hearing of it as well?

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 LastLast