Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roadster Renovations View Post
    Yep, yours got bit. I wouldn't tell them where you got the belt (has to be a BRP one anyway). I would just tell them you have a spare belt and would like it put on. Also, you might get them to warranty the belt. Ryder on FB just had his sprocket done and the dealer did the belt also.
    Anybody have a # for the BRP service bulletin on the sprocket?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnny pop View Post
    Is there a service bulletin # that I could quote, since this is the first they are hearing of it as well?
    Hi,

You may visit our website and enter your VIN to see if your unit has any safety bulletin.

https://can-am.brp.com/spyder/dealer-locator.html

(Scroll at the bottom of the screen)

Cheers!

Karine - BRPcare
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Spyder Garage

Is there a service bulletin # that I could quote, since this is the first they are hearing of it as well?
    As of a couple weeks ago, BRP still has not published a service bulletin on this problem. They are however, quickly and easily approving the replacements. If the pulley exhibits the red oxide dust, they authorize replacement as failure is approaching.

I do recommend re installation involve moly lube on the new sprocket splines as is industry practice. Installing dry is a known failure method for splines that are not press fit.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    As of a couple weeks ago, BRP still has not published a service bulletin on this problem. They are however, quickly and easily approving the replacements. If the pulley exhibits the red oxide dust, they authorize replacement as failure is approaching.

I do recommend re installation involve moly lube on the new sprocket splines as is industry practice. Installing dry is a known failure method for splines that are not press fit.
    I'll be going to the dealer on Wednesday, so hopefully they will then order the required parts. I'll bring a print out your response if they need a bit of a prod to contact BRP!
    Thanks!

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'll be going to the dealer on Wednesday, so hopefully they will then order the required parts. I'll bring a print out your response if they need a bit of a prod to contact BRP!
    Thanks!
    Anybody with the red rust has not be denied to my knowledge. If they give you a hassle, make sure and report them to BRP. Information flow back to them is the best way for us to get the best possible service work done. I have sneaking suspicion that they will be really monitoring how their dealers are treating their customers even more so from here on in.

Spyder Garage

This is my sprocket after 10,500 miles. Guess it's time to call my original dealer, since the closer one in Stamford, CT never heard of this problem. I'll have them install a new belt that I got from Amazon, since they were telling me that mine was shot the last time I was there. Any suggestions on how to handle them if they put up a stink?
    Just so you know, that dealer no longer sells Spyders, new or used. There are a lot of things they never heard of. Go somewhere else. I go to Arctic Adventures, a long way from me, but trustworthy, upright folks, and worth the trip.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    Just so you know, that dealer no longer sells Spyders, new or used. There are a lot of things they never heard of. Go somewhere else. I go to Arctic Adventures, a long way from me, but trustworthy, upright folks, and worth the trip.
    Arctic Adventures? That DOES sound like like a long trip, oldguy Do you need an Inuit guide to get there?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Arctic Adventures? That DOES sound like like a long trip, oldguy Do you need an Inuit guide to get there?

Pete
    Nah, I just follow other Spyders from this area that are headed there. 87 miles isn't too bad, except for having the ride the Interstate & New York Thruway.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. They suggested that I bring it in for a look, so I definitely won't!

Spyder Garage

Anybody with the red rust has not be denied to my knowledge. If they give you a hassle, make sure and report them to BRP. Information flow back to them is the best way for us to get the best possible service work done. I have sneaking suspicion that they will be really monitoring how their dealers are treating their customers even more so from here on in.
    The mechanic told me that BRP would not authorize the work, but I found out that my warranty was not still in effect which was a surprise to me since I thought it was.. Well, one thing leads to another, as I will get in touch with BRP next! Wish me luck, as I will probably have the sprocket replaced regardless of the warranty question!

Spyder Garage

The mechanic told me that BRP would not authorize the work, but I found out that my warranty was not still in effect which was a surprise to me since I thought it was.. Well, one thing leads to another, as I will get in touch with BRP next! Wish me luck, as I will probably have the sprocket replaced regardless of the warranty question!
    Just got the news that BRP will cover the sprocket and labor to replace it. Thanks to my mechanic for stepping in to press my case. Taking the opportunity to replace belt and shock at the same time!

Spyder Garage

Just got the news that BRP will cover the sprocket and labor to replace it. Thanks to my mechanic for stepping in to press my case. Taking the opportunity to replace belt and shock at the same time!
    Result!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good news !

Spyder Garage

Default Smoaks Vlog

Shawn Smoaks Vlog talks about this issue. Watch starting at 4:00 then again at 11:17

https://youtu.be/f67875iPuOg

2016 RT Limited SE6
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BrianO View Post
    Shawn Smoaks Vlog talks about this issue. Watch starting at 4:00 then again at 11:17

https://youtu.be/f67875iPuOg
    That's well worth watching and since I lowered my belt tension on my 2015 F3 SM6 to125 Kricket I see No more red dust?
    Time will tell but since I already paid for a New sprocket BRP better install it if I need it some day!!! Hear That BRP?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Dealer had a LOT of trouble pulling sprocket off of shaft, and have to leave bike there for a few days. Ordered a new oil seal in case the old one was compromised. Claim that Loctite was the problem. Almost wished that I didn't follow up on this thread!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jneg2 View Post
    Dealer had a LOT of trouble pulling sprocket off of shaft, and have to leave bike there for a few days. Ordered a new oil seal in case the old one was compromised. Claim that Loctite was the problem. Almost wished that I didn't follow up on this thread!!
    You know they can speculate on what caused that all they want. Since it is a solid joint with no movement, how would loctite have any effect either way? I think that if I have one fail I will RTV it inside and out. If nothing else it should keep the material dry and more intact.

Spyder Garage

I would like to check my VIN, but is there a link for European Spyders as well?

Best regards,

Allan

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hi,

You may visit our website and enter your VIN to see if your unit has any safety bulletin.

https://can-am.brp.com/spyder/dealer-locator.html

(Scroll at the bottom of the screen)

Cheers!

Karine - BRPcare

Spyder Garage

Default Re front sprocket

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Just for comparison I reposted mine with 9,700 miles to compare? Yours seems about right considering Twice the mileage as mine?
    Luckily the Spocket is only about $100 with New Nut and I think they come with the proper locktight already on the Bolt.
    Where do you buy a new sprocket from dealership or where

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RudyB View Post
    Where do you buy a new sprocket from dealership or where
    Cheapcycleparts.com

Spyder Garage

Default Sprocket Bearing Failure on 2016 RT Limited

My Spyder is a 2016 RT Limited , and not an F3, so it appears this problem is not only on F3s. I bought mine new in April 2017, which was a 2016 left over. I traded in my 2012 RT Limited that I also bought new, and had 55,000 plus miles on it when I traded it. I got a decent Discount on the 2016, but got robbed on my Trade. I now really wish I had kept the 2012 and ran it to the ground. Dealer cleaned it up to show Room condition and quickly sold it for their usual healthy profit. No problem, I had the Hot Bug for the 1330 engine and 6 speed tranny. But the 2016 rode like crap from the Git Go, because , of the inferior Shocks as compared to the 2012. But the 2016 ran great, ....until 2-1/2 weeks ago I started experiencing a grinding sound, and Whyn on deceleration with 4,5 and 6th gears, plus some clunking on turns. I was close to home, on Sunday, so went home and drove my Spyder to the Dealer early Mon.. Morning at opening. Dealer was booked solid two weeks out, Only one Tech working, one on vacation and two had quit! No sympathy from Service Mgr. two weeks went by before a a Tech even looked it. No one taking my phone calls, so I went in, still no one had looked at it. Went to my Salesman, who had no authority. Went to a further up Mgr. told him my story, and asked if I could get a Service Loaner. He said they never had any, in any of their Three stores. I asked if I cound rent some thing to tie me over until they find out the problem. He said he would talk to Service, to see what they could do, but they don’t rent any Spyders. That was 6 days ago, when I got a Voice Mail from the Mgr. that the Tech thought it sounded like the Sprocket Bearing was making the noise. But couldn’t be sure until further tests. He said if that is the problem, then they need to take the engine out of the Spyder, to get the Sprocket Bearing out to inspect it. Then, once that happens, and they order parts needed to replace what ever is damaged, they will take it off Booking Schedule, for 10 dsys, and if the parts come in, than I could be looking at mid to late July! So, Summer riding shot. No one has returned my phone calls, for updates, or if further inspection has even been done. Then, there are Waurentee
    Issues the Dealer will have to haggle with the Factory. By the way, my Spyder had logged 21,500 miles when the problem occurred. I always ride One up, and I weigh 175 lbs. My thought is, that very same problem will continue to occurr, because of the Belt Tension needing to be adjusted tight enough to reduce Belt Chatter. I have never touched the Adjustments done by the Dealer, but I had Doc’s Tensioner for 20,000 miles. Roller Bearings still OK, with Roller rolling freely. Spring broke and Doc replaced it. But I think this Bearing problem will continue until Factory Engineering gets involved and comes up with a fail safe support of the Sprocket Bearing as long as the Belt Chatter problem is not solved. So, cutting to the chase, this one will definitely be my last Spyder. The nice reports of getting 100-150,000 miles on the 1330 engines are motivating, but sharing other little failures of components with having to beg for Service will not motivate me to buy my Third Spyder. My last call to Service Voice mail was yesterday, asking for up dates, with no response, enticed me to piull the trigger. A new Harley Heritage Classic is now sitting in my garage where my Spyders have occupied since Jan. 2012.
    No doubt, my problems are most likely minor as comparred to some.
    007Jim

You know they can speculate on what caused that all they want. Since it is a solid joint with no movement, how would loctite have any effect either way? I think that if I have one fail I will RTV it inside and out. If nothing else it should keep the material dry and more intact.
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 007james View Post
    My Spyder is a 2016 RT Limited , and not an F3, so it appears this problem is not only on F3s. I bought mine new in April 2017, which was a 2016 left over. I traded in my 2012 RT Limited that I also bought new, and had 55,000 plus miles on it when I traded it. I got a decent Discount on the 2016, but got robbed on my Trade. I now really wish I had kept the 2012 and ran it to the ground. Dealer cleaned it up to show Room condition and quickly sold it for their usual healthy profit. No problem, I had the Hot Bug for the 1330 engine and 6 speed tranny. But the 2016 rode like crap from the Git Go, because , of the inferior Shocks as compared to the 2012. But the 2016 ran great, ....until 2-1/2 weeks ago I started experiencing a grinding sound, and Whyn on deceleration with 4,5 and 6th gears, plus some clunking on turns. I was close to home, on Sunday, so went home and drove my Spyder to the Dealer early Mon.. Morning at opening. Dealer was booked solid two weeks out, Only one Tech working, one on vacation and two had quit! No sympathy from Service Mgr. two weeks went by before a a Tech even looked it. No one taking my phone calls, so I went in, still no one had looked at it. Went to my Salesman, who had no authority. Went to a further up Mgr. told him my story, and asked if I could get a Service Loaner. He said they never had any, in any of their Three stores. I asked if I cound rent some thing to tie me over until they find out the problem. He said he would talk to Service, to see what they could do, but they don’t rent any Spyders. That was 6 days ago, when I got a Voice Mail from the Mgr. that the Tech thought it sounded like the Sprocket Bearing was making the noise. But couldn’t be sure until further tests. He said if that is the problem, then they need to take the engine out of the Spyder, to get the Sprocket Bearing out to inspect it. Then, once that happens, and they order parts needed to replace what ever is damaged, they will take it off Booking Schedule, for 10 dsys, and if the parts come in, than I could be looking at mid to late July! So, Summer riding shot. No one has returned my phone calls, for updates, or if further inspection has even been done. Then, there are Waurentee
    Issues the Dealer will have to haggle with the Factory. By the way, my Spyder had logged 21,500 miles when the problem occurred. I always ride One up, and I weigh 175 lbs. My thought is, that very same problem will continue to occurr, because of the Belt Tension needing to be adjusted tight enough to reduce Belt Chatter. I have never touched the Adjustments done by the Dealer, but I had Doc’s Tensioner for 20,000 miles. Roller Bearings still OK, with Roller rolling freely. Spring broke and Doc replaced it. But I think this Bearing problem will continue until Factory Engineering gets involved and comes up with a fail safe support of the Sprocket Bearing as long as the Belt Chatter problem is not solved. So, cutting to the chase, this one will definitely be my last Spyder. The nice reports of getting 100-150,000 miles on the 1330 engines are motivating, but sharing other little failures of components with having to beg for Service will not motivate me to buy my Third Spyder. My last call to Service Voice mail was yesterday, asking for up dates, with no response, enticed me to piull the trigger. A new Harley Heritage Classic is now sitting in my garage where my Spyders have occupied since Jan. 2012.
    007Jim
    Wow, sorry you are having so much trouble. Maybe they will get it back together correctly for you and it will be OK.

Spyder Garage

007Jim
    Bummer to read this. I suspect your trusted dealer is about to fix something not broken. Very unlikely the bearing failed. Sounds like the pulley failed and I am doubtful the bearing failed. No doubt I may be incorrect, but there are essentially no reports of 1330 output shaft bearing failures but more than a few pulley failures. I was not able to understand if they already pulled the motor and tore it apart. Regardless, all the best with it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Bummer to read this. I suspect your trusted dealer is about to fix something not broken. Very unlikely the bearing failed. Sounds like the pulley failed and I am doubtful the bearing failed. No doubt I may be incorrect, but there are essentially no reports of 1330 output shaft bearing failures but more than a few pulley failures. I was not able to understand if they already pulled the motor and tore it apart. Regardless, all the best with it.

Sir, I don’t know if they pulled the motor yet, or even of they did the further tests to diagnose the problem. They do not return my calls. So, to me, no news usually indicates no action. I have a 2013 Vehicle I bought new from my Ford Dealer here, and still, even when I go for an Oil Change, I am treated like Royalty. Spacious Customer Lounge, free Coffee, Snacks, Wide Screen TV, WiFi, and constant progress up dates. They have my Trust and Loyalty for life. I can’t unferstand why Motorcycle Dealers that sell Can-Am, Polaris, Honda, Kawasaki, Indian, Victory, Yamaha, and more, with a Show Room bigger than Ford’s full of Vehicles, operate their Service Dept with only a couple of Techs. and don’t hire and retain enough of them to be able to service their Sales, with out treating their Customers like Mushrooms. ( keeping them in the dark and feeding then S—-. ) But, that’s their Business, not mine.
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Sir, I don’t know if they pulled the motor yet, or even of they did the further tests to diagnose the problem. They do not return my calls. So, to me, no news usually indicates no action. I have a 2013 Vehicle I bought new from my Ford Dealer here, and still, even when I go for an Oil Change, I am treated like Royalty. Spacious Customer Lounge, free Coffee, Snacks, Wide Screen TV, WiFi, and constant progress up dates. They have my Trust and Loyalty for life. I can’t unferstand why Motorcycle Dealers that sell Can-Am, Polaris, Honda, Kawasaki, Indian, Victory, Yamaha, and more, with a Show Room bigger than Ford’s full of Vehicles, operate their Service Dept with only a couple of Techs. and don’t hire and retain enough of them to be able to service their Sales, with out treating their Customers like Mushrooms. ( keeping them in the dark and feeding then S—-. ) But, that’s their Business, not mine.
    No arguement on the quality of customer service at many but not all dealers. To understand my previous post, I suspect they will do more damage due to mis diagnosis of the problem and ultimately you bear the burden.

Take the bike to a better dealer if that is any way a possibility.

Pulley replacements have been done under warranty and is maybe an hour task. If they pull the engine, or even worse tear the gearbox apart, that is a lot of work and the dealer will be wanting someone to pay when warranty is denied on account of no fault except failed pulley. Someone will be paying a big bill and it will not be the dealer. I suspect your poor customer service experience is going to be lowered by several notches if that shop continues the work, based on what you are reporting.

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122 LastLast