Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default F3 Front Sprocket Inspection

Had a friend/customer loose his splines on his F3 Ltd at Spyder Adventures. We were able to verify by removing the plastic cover for the front sprocket. His did show the telltale rust around the front of the sprocket. I highly suggest that ryders periodically (ever month or so) pull that cover and look for the rust. Just looking under the byke is probably not good enough.
    What happens, the splines on the sprocket start throwing metal shavings and they appear as red rust. By pulling that cover (2 min job) it should help you to catch it before it goes completely out and you are stranded.
    My friend was very lucky and Blessed. Out of all the areas to ryde, many without cell phone reception, his grenaded (total part failure) right next to the Maggie Valley Inn at the stoplight!
    You might not be so lucky!
    I know this topic has been posted before, but to my knowledge no one has suggested pulling the inspection cover.

Spyder Garage

Default Agree

when mine came loose i found out by coasting down the hill to the garage with music off engine off helmet off. There will be a gnawrly sound coming from the left side by the peg. So now every few rydes I do that little coast. I did replace the sproket bolt and washer (make sure you replace the bolt and washer) I still believe that the engine heat and high torque stretched the threads causing the bolt to loose tension...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

My F3 stripped out a week ago just after 6000 miles after the first one was replaced.
    This time I am having them replace the shaft and sprocket.
    God bless those who serve/served our country!

Spyder Garage

Default 2015

I bought my '15 F3 in Feb. of '15, and the sprocket was trash after a few thousand miles... i also heard of a rather large number of other F3's that had the sprocket go south on them... i would have thought by now that BRP would have come up with a 'FIX' for this issue... i really am starting to wonder what their engineering department head is thinking... here's my suggestion BRP; CUSTOMER SERVICE & QUALITY PRODUCTS.... is that too much to ask...? God knows, you charge the ultimate price for your products, give us the quality that goes with that price...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Doc, have you heard of many F3T or Limited having this happen? I had only heard of it happening on 2015 F3 and was hoping that they had fixed the issue in 16 or 17 or on the T or Ltd. models.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

So if there is any rust you should change sprocket!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Doc, have you heard of many F3T or Limited having this happen? I had only heard of it happening on 2015 F3 and was hoping that they had fixed the issue in 16 or 17 or on the T or Ltd. models.
    This was on a F3T. It had about 14-15K on it. He had pulled a trailer some of those miles. I have rode with him a lot and he probably never has tried a burnout. I *believe* that BRP has changed the number (different grade metal) for the '17 model. His was a '16.

Spyder Garage

BRP needs to change the way the front pully fits on the trans main shaft. Current design the inside of the pully has a countersink that slips on the main shaft and belt alignment issues will cause uneven pressure on the front pully causing the splines and countersink to wear on the main shaft. A simple fix would be to increase the inside surface mating area with a thrust washer between the pully and main shaft.
    SpYderman

Spyder Garage

Red face Front Sprocket Inspection

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Problem exists in all 2016 and probably 2017 Spyders. Just replaced front sprocket on 2016 F3-T at 16Kmi... just missed grenade stage by few miles. 90% of spline gone to rust dust. My clue to problem was a couple months of increasing louder high pitched whistle when closed throttle engine braking. This suddenly turned to loud metallic thrashing... this is final stage indicative of immediate grenading. Immediately push it to a dealers shop is only option if you aint stuck in the hinter land.
    2018 RT Limited Spyder , Garmin Zumo GPS, Battery tender wire harness Show Chrome brake pedal extender Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

I think an inspection of the front sprocket should be done at a minimum 1500 mile intervals.
    It takes at most 10 min to remove and replace the cover and have a look.
    Maybe take a pic for comparison to the next inspection.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    when mine came loose i found out by coasting down the hill to the garage with music off engine off helmet off. There will be a gnawrly sound coming from the left side by the peg. So now every few rydes I do that little coast. I did replace the sproket bolt and washer (make sure you replace the bolt and washer) I still believe that the engine heat and high torque stretched the threads causing the bolt to loose tension...
    You should ride slower--no acceleration above 3K rpm, & convert to chain drive--two (2) chains.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Spyder Garage

Default Loose bolt!

After reading about this I'll keep an eye on it, but my bike is still new with less than 1k miles on it. One thought though. Since BRP also builds aircraft, I wonder if the department's talk to each other. They use lockwire all over aircraft, why not use it here? Any A&P mechanic would tell you that! It would prevent the bolt from loosening. Could it be applied here by US? I don't know as I haven't taken my cover off yet to look at it. Just a thought.

Spyder Garage

Default Hmmmm

Discussed this with Rocky at Coyote powersports in Boerne. He says the problem is belts too tight, and that the bolt is a one time use. Showed us the service bulletin moving the tension down. Went out and checked SpyderAnn’s F3T, and hers is even lower than the bulletin requires. Hers was just serviced las week. But, with the lower tension, and Doc’s belt tensioner, it rides vibration free!! So, still sciencing all this out. We will keep an eye on this.
    Meanwhile, the rally is ramping up in the hills of Texas!!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Discussed this with Rocky at Coyote powersports in Boerne. He says the problem is belts too tight, and that the bolt is a one time use. Showed us the service bulletin moving the tension down. Went out and checked SpyderAnn’s F3T, and hers is even lower than the bulletin requires. Hers was just serviced las week. But, with the lower tension, and Doc’s belt tensioner, it rides vibration free!! So, still sciencing all this out. We will keep an eye on this.
    Meanwhile, the rally is ramping up in the hills of Texas!!
    Wish we were there!! Many ryders have believed that the belt torque was too high on this and what the tech told you makes perfect sense. It is kinda cool that we can now drop the down and the Vibration Damper keeps them from vibrating!!

Burrr, it was 41 degrees this morning on my ryde over to Planet Fitness.

Spyder Garage

Default How do I get the cover off?

This got me curious because we have a 2015 F3S. Please see the included image of the inspection cover.
    Front Sproket Inspection Cover.jpg

I believe the cover bolts are 6mm Hex. I turn them, but I can't tell that they are loosing. I tried putting my hand behind the inspection cover and I can't tell if there is a nut or clip or ??? I know it must be easy, but can someone tell me how to get these bolts out and cover off so I may inspect my front sproket?

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Well Road-Kill I suggest you don’t worry about your F3 and don’t check your sprocket. It probably won’t happen to you. After all, it’s less than 1% right, according to your reasoning. But we are talking about F3’s only, not the whole sum of 100,000 Spyders+ ever built. And why would you question a member that said he has heard from 60 F3 owners about the problem? So in the future if you are crossing a wide intersection or riding 70 miles per hr on a 6 lane freeway, don’t worry about your sprocket. It won’t happen to you, right?
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=robhowen;1312791]This got me curious because we have a 2015 F3S. Please see the included image of the inspection cover.
    Front Sproket Inspection Cover.jpg

I believe the cover bolts are 6mm Hex. I turn them, but I can't tell that they are loosing. I tried putting my hand behind the inspection cover and I can't tell if there is a nut or clip or ??? I know it must be easy, but can someone tell me how to get these bolts out and cover off so I may inspect my front sproket?

Rob:

I used a 5mm Allen key to remove the three screws which are obvious. There are clips on the backside, which should remain clipped in plate as you turn out the Allen screws. At the top, on the inside of the cover plate, there's a small black plastic push pin which secures the cover plate to the main frame rail. Mine came out when I pushed inward on the cover plate, but didn't roll far on the shop floor, calling my attention to this "invisible" fastener.

I just checked my 2015 F3-S SE6, 12,500 miles, and was relieved to find no rust.

Pete
    Pete Tamblyn
    Cleveland, GA

2020 F3 Limited (black)

Time Out XL1800 cargo trailer

2019 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor
    2018 Kawasaki Versys-X 300

2013 ST (sold)
    2015 F3-S SOLD
    2014 RT-Limited (cognac) SOLD

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks Pete

I guess I just didn't turn it enough as I was afraid it was just spinning inside. I'll give it more turns.

Thank you,
    Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

while we're talking about removing the cover,
    anybody know what the purpose of the foam on the back of it is?
    Noise reduction? noise from what?
    just curious

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    while we're talking about removing the cover,
    just curious
    Primarily engine noise insulation and a bit of heat.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Default noise from...?

[QUOTE=ofdave;1312875]while we're talking about removing the cover,

Um, noise from splines grenading?
    Pete Tamblyn
    Cleveland, GA

2020 F3 Limited (black)

Time Out XL1800 cargo trailer

2019 Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor
    2018 Kawasaki Versys-X 300

2013 ST (sold)
    2015 F3-S SOLD
    2014 RT-Limited (cognac) SOLD

Spyder Garage

Just changed my oil and checked under the cover and this is what I found
    6A13FAB7-820E-4AF8-B359-E355E35FA399.jpg
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    Just changed my oil and checked under the cover and this is what I found
    6A13FAB7-820E-4AF8-B359-E355E35FA399.jpg
    I drove it to a dealer and found that it was closed due to Presidents day. I did however check the torque before I left and it was way under the 92 pounds. I torqued it to 92 and went. It should be OK till the next chance I get to drive it down there.
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AY4B View Post
    I drove it to a dealer and found that it was closed due to Presidents day. I did however check the torque before I left and it was way under the 92 pounds. I torqued it to 92 and went. It should be OK till the next chance I get to drive it down there.
    How many miles???

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    How many miles???
    Its a 54 mile trip one way so double that. My wife warned me to call them to verify tat they were open on Presidents day and I forgot after started getting ready to make the trip in upper 30 degree temps. Ill drive it again tomorrow but may have to ride in some rain.
    2017 F3 Limited