Quote Originally Posted by lugnut1009 View Post
I know this is an old, really long, thread but figured it’s the best place for my comments. My wife’s ‘18 F3L has about 12k miles and still no sign of the dreaded red dust on the sprocket. But after reading several pages in this thread it sounds like the proper thing to do to prevent failure is at each oil change remove the bolt and sprocket to inspect, clean, and reapply spline lube with a fresh bolt. Guess I’ll do all this at her next oil change. Does that sound about right?

Oh I’ve already checked, realigned and tensioned her belt, and installed the belt tensioner from lamonster so all that should be ok.
My suggestion, accomplish the first front pulley inspection on your wifes F3 at 12,000 miles. If serviceable reinstall. If you see that it was assembled dry at oem, examine the splines for metal particles and wear, including the surface finish of the splines themselves.

Clean all surfaces and assemble with a moly paste. Your call on reusing the bolt or not.

To be best prepared, you might consider having a new pulley and bolt on hand if waiting for parts is a concern.

Once properly inspected and lubricated, I doubt there will be any induced wear if you inspected at each oil change or annually. If you accomplish oil changes at book recommended 9300 that could work. For comparison, I change oil at 5000 miles, so this would be a bit too frequent I believe.

Our Spyder is a 2014 and the front pulley splines had a light film of grease from oem. I accomplished the inspection and reassembly at about the midpoint to the 28,000 mile heavy inspection. That is my next planned pulley inspection. Honestly I expect no wear then. Merely a remove, clean, inspect, reassemble and go.