Spyder Garage

Default 2015 RT Limited Rear sprocket not sitting tight to wheel - any ideas?

Hi,

I changed my OEM tire to the General Altimax, and when I reassembled, it seems that the sprocket no longer sits tightly against the wheel. When I got the belt aligned, it is very close to up against the outer rim of the front sprocket and a very small to no gap on the back sprocket. Any thoughts? Is there something specific about the rear sprocket mounting to the wheel that I need to know?

Thanks!

John

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jpcoder View Post
    Hi,

I changed my OEM tire to the General Altimax, and when I reassembled, it seems that the sprocket no longer sits tightly against the wheel. When I got the belt aligned, it is very close to up against the outer rim of the front sprocket and a very small to no gap on the back sprocket. Any thoughts? Is there something specific about the rear sprocket mounting to the wheel that I need to know?

Thanks!

John
    I had that concern when I removed and replaced one of my rear wheels (2014RT); the sprocket wouldn't sit tight against the wheel and I was concerned it wouldn't fit between the swing arms. I shouldn't have worried; it did fit in there okay and after tightening the axle nuts down to 100+ ft-lb everything fit tightly together again with no belt alignment issues.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default A thought.

If the spacer between the sprocket bearing and the wheel bearing on the 2015 is the same as the 2012, then there IS something specific....it would have a long side and a short side. Long side goes towards the sprocket bearing. Click on thumbnail. Do you recall if your spacer is this way, and if so, is it installed properly?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default general tire info

I am trying to decide what tire to replace the OEM. Any thoughts and tips would be greatly appreciated. Little Blue
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Yes, that spacer is oriented correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    If the spacer between the sprocket bearing and the wheel bearing on the 2015 is the same as the 2012, then there IS something specific....it would have a long side and a short side. Long side goes towards the sprocket bearing. Click on thumbnail. Do you recall if your spacer is this way, and if so, is it installed properly?

Spyder Garage

I put a General Altimax RT43 215/60r15 on the rear and Federal Evos on the front. Both selections made after research on this site.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default REAR TIRE

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    I am trying to decide what tire to replace the OEM. Any thoughts and tips would be greatly appreciated. Little Blue
    I recommend the General Altimax RT43 ( 215/60-15 ).... it has a very high performance rating and is a very good value at it's normal selling price ( $72.00 )........... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default i am a new to this site please help how do i post i don't see a link

i have a noise in the front end when i turn left for now i gues

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

make sure the rubber blocks are in correctly and the O-ring is not damaged. Did you remove the sprocket? I am guessing you did since your changed the tire.

Spyder Garage

Damper blocks appear to be OK, but I am replacing them anyway. The O ring was damaged, and I am replacing it as well. I should have the parts by end of the week and will try it again. While its all apart, the bearing are getting replaced as well.

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    make sure the rubber blocks are in correctly and the O-ring is not damaged. Did you remove the sprocket? I am guessing you did since your changed the tire.

Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    That's the same way for my 2016.
    Capture.JPG
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Pulley

Install rubber Cush drive pieces. Slather in windex. Seat with a couple of blows with a rubber mallet. Install; bolting it together brings it back together.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

So, I replaced all 3 tires with car tires, cleaned the brakes and rebuilt the rear hub. It rydes and handles much better than it did.