Spyder Garage

Default Had a little scare today

So, after a week of getting the tire change issue taken care of, I spent yesterday and today putting everything back together. Got all the necessary torque settings for all of the bolts and got everything spanking clean and got my Loctite ready.

All was together and the rear-end was still raised, so I did the belt alignment first. Then lowered it and tried to set the parking brake. Would not set. Then the gauge cluster starting showing all sorts of warning signs including parking brake failure, regular brake failure, flashing engine light, VSS light, then limp home mode. Crap! What did I do?

The only thing that had been actually removed of importance was the rear brake caliper in order to remove the rear tire for change-out, but, I don't see how that would affected anything.

Double checked everything and discovered that I had slipped the parking brake cable back into its slot but had failed to re-tighten the locking nut.

Started up again and the same warnings kept cycling. Still could not set the parking brake.

So, the brakes still functioned even though the brake failure light was on, so I proceeded to back up and then go forward in the garage and tested the brakes several times. No problems.
    Tried to set the parking brake again, then it started functioning OK again. Tried it several times and it functioned perfectly. Still had all of the other warnings going on. I turned everything off and started looking at all of the fuses, battery cables, etc.

Finally said, heck, let me pull out and run it up and down the street to test everything. This way, if anything seriously went wrong, at least I wouldn't be going fast enough to kill myself. I had only rolled the bike about 20 feet down the driveway and suddenly all of the warnings disappeared. Parking brake set fine, everything was shifting OK and brakes were working. I took a 15-20 minute test ride around the neighborhood, did several shifts and pulled a few quick stops. Absolutely no problems - all worked as perfectly as it had before.

Pulled back in the garage and still no issues appeared. Tried several more start-ups all all went well. The bike was due for its oil change so that was performed and then I had a few badly needed cold ones...........

Tomorrow, I will finally get to give the new tires their first trial.
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It probably had to do with spreading the brake pads a bit, to get the caliper back over the rotor... No big deal, and it clears itself up quickly!
    (Both of my Spyders did the same thing...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I went through the same thing with one of my wheel changes (but not the other one). Difference was I'd accidentally applied the brake while the caliper was off the wheel. Scary but as you found out, it does reset itself pretty quickly once everything is back together and the bike is rolling down the driveway.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Nice ending...

Computers can be fussy.. I remember the last time I changed the battery in the mini all the warnings were popping up. But as I drove home they slowly went out one by one. Guess the nanny wanted to know you didn't kill it...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I say it often but its appropriate again...its the 's way of showing just who is in charge.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

When you set the belt alignment, did you run the bike with the wheels off the ground? The nanny will freak out if it see the rear wheel turning, and not the fronts. As you saw once you ride it a bit the errors will clear up.