Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Default How to deal with flat tire

About to head out on my first road trip (300+ miles). I have a 2016 RTL and will be pulling an RT 622 trailer. Whar do spyderlovers do if you get a flat tire with no Can Am dealers close? Probably my biggest concern is the back tire. Only have 1000 miles on my bike. Im taking my wife for our first road trip. Hate to ruin it by being stranded.

Spyder Garage

Default Well...

Most carry a plug kit and an air supply. This will allow you to plug the tire (unless to big a hole or on the sidewall) and air it up till you can get to a dealer. Also carry a credit card and the roadside assistant number. They can plug the tire for you as well.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Most carry a plug kit and an air supply. This will allow you to plug the tire (unless to big a hole or on the sidewall) and air it up till you can get to a dealer. Also carry a credit card and the roadside assistant number. They can plug the tire for you as well.
    Gene, something has always bothered me about the “plug” option? I carry one, but........

How the heck do you find the hole when you are by yourself and you can only see a few inches of the tyre under the rear mud flap, and then only when you are lying on the ground?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Gene, something has always bothered me about the “plug” option? I carry one, but........

How the heck do you find the hole when you are by yourself and you can only see a few inches of the tyre under the rear mud flap, and then only when you are lying on the ground?

Pete
    Not Chupaca...but you have a good point. The thought of trying to fix something like that on the road, at night, in the rain, etc. scares me a lot. I would be glad for my cell phone and my credit card.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

...How the heck do you find the hole when you are by yourself and you can only see a few inches of the tyre under the rear mud flap, and then only when you are lying on the ground?

Pete
    happens! What are the odds? Life's a gamble! Roll, pump, look, repeat.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    happens! What are the odds? Life's a gamble! Roll, pump, look, repeat.
    Thanks Jaybros.....I know and accept all that. I was just wondering if anyone had a good method of finding a leak. Looks like you don’t, eh

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Most of the time, carrying a plug kit and compressor is an insurance policy. Kind of like carrying an umbrella and never having to get rained upon; a good luck charm. I carry the old fashioned "gummy worm" string type plugs, a friend of mine had those mushroom plugs blow out of his tire at 55mph TWICE!
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Thanks Jaybros.....I know and accept all that. I was just wondering if anyone had a good method of finding a leak. Looks like you don’t, eh

Pete
    Pete, it's the only way my dumb old brain knows short of calling a rollback truck!
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Tire puncture

Pete
    If you have a small compressor try filling the tire and listen for the air leak. If you do not have a compressor you do not need to look for the hole as patching it without air is futile.....

Spyder Garage

Pete

It's really difficult. Pull out the air compressor. Start airing up the tire and see where the air is coming out.

Spyder Garage

Default Ahhh..!!

Pete
    Never had to but I also have an RS... lots of viewing area. But I have found most times what made the hole is in the hole and fairly easy to spot. If it's raining you'll see bubbles... but to make life easier carry a scissor jack.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Plug kit, slime with compressor $18 @ Wal-Mart

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As soon as Joe got off his bike the screw in the tire was quite obvious.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Never had to but I also have an RS... lots of viewing area. But I have found most times what made the hole is in the hole and fairly easy to spot. If it's raining you'll see bubbles... but to make life easier carry a scissor jack.
    Do you carry a scissor jack? I hadn't considered that, but not a bad idea. That, or one of those small floor jacks HF sells.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default JACK

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Do you carry a scissor jack? I hadn't considered that, but not a bad idea. That, or one of those small floor jacks HF sells.
    .... I have one from a small car .... it's even Alumin , folds down to about 2 3/4 in. .... if you have a junk yard you can visit check them out .... you can probably get a dozen or so for cheap ....... Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Pete
    Just hope your mouth isn't dry so you can spit on the tire and look for bubbles! Actually you can probably feel with your hand the air blowing out. Hope you are stopped on the level so you can stop the bike with the parking brake off. The Spyder is easy to push even while you're on the ground.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Just hope your mouth isn't dry so you can spit on the tire and look for bubbles! Actually you can probably feel with your hand the air blowing out. Hope you are stopped on the level so you can stop the bike with the parking brake off. The Spyder is easy to push even while you're on the ground.
    Hahaha......as if that is EVER going to happen, Idaho.....you can bet you’ll be on the side of a mountain somewhere

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Invest in a tire plugging kit https://www.stopngo.com/motorcycles/ and an emergency compressor or a Lamonster pump http://www.lamonstergarage.com/lamon...ir-pack-black/ and tire sealer http://www.lamonstergarage.com/lamon...-tire-sealant/.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I use Stop n Go as well, in addition to am air compressor that plugs into your 12V outlet. In my old scooter club, we practiced on an old tire, and the difference between an old style plug and Stop n Go was night and day. And one in our group plugged his tire and finished the entire ride with no problems. But pulling a trailer, I would want to go to the dealer.
    Live Laugh Love 💞

Spyder Garage

I filled all three tires with the Ameriseal tire sealant that Lamonster sells, but also purchased his Air Pack, along with a kit mentioned above. Covered all my bases along with an AMA membership with towing plan.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

The above posters have you well covered. Less than a thousand miles on your tires? You should not have to worry. Tires getting near the tread warning bars....time to change them out before any trip.

Just avoid road hazards if possible and make a daily check as you travel. Travel smart...but NOT afraid. Enjoy your trip.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    I filled all three tires with the Ameriseal tire sealant that Lamonster sells, but also purchased his Air Pack, along with a kit mentioned above. Covered all my bases along with an AMA membership with towing plan.
    My prescription as well, said nstalled on the front, rear and 622 tires, plus the battery powered Compressor. If you are going to do all those tires you will need to purchase two bottles of Amerseal.

During the recent Maggie Valley rally, I used the pump to inflate the air bags on two bykes, they did not even know were there. That is a great tool, just charge it up once in a while.

Joe

Permit me to add a short note. I too also dispose tire sealants until Amerseal. Even my tire guys had no problem changing a tire with it in there, it is water soluble and really just wipes off.
    Last edited by Buckeye Bleau; 10-16-2017 at 06:43 AM.
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Also have the air pack & AMA specifically for the roadside that includes towing the trailer too. Thankfully have not had to test it.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Invest in a tire plugging kit https://www.stopngo.com/motorcycles/ and an emergency compressor or a Lamonster pump http://www.lamonstergarage.com/lamon...ir-pack-black/ and tire sealer http://www.lamonstergarage.com/lamon...-tire-sealant/.
    Thanks for providing these links! This is a very useful thread.

Spyder Garage

Try a product called Ride On, it's a tire sealant you put in before you go, self seals if you get a nail or other hazard.

Very Happy Rider