Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default How to deal with flat tire

About to head out on my first road trip (300+ miles). I have a 2016 RTL and will be pulling an RT 622 trailer. Whar do spyderlovers do if you get a flat tire with no Can Am dealers close? Probably my biggest concern is the back tire. Only have 1000 miles on my bike. Im taking my wife for our first road trip. Hate to ruin it by being stranded.

Spyder Garage

Default Well...

Most carry a plug kit and an air supply. This will allow you to plug the tire (unless to big a hole or on the sidewall) and air it up till you can get to a dealer. Also carry a credit card and the roadside assistant number. They can plug the tire for you as well.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Invest in a tire plugging kit https://www.stopngo.com/motorcycles/ and an emergency compressor or a Lamonster pump http://www.lamonstergarage.com/lamon...ir-pack-black/ and tire sealer http://www.lamonstergarage.com/lamon...-tire-sealant/.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I use Stop n Go as well, in addition to am air compressor that plugs into your 12V outlet. In my old scooter club, we practiced on an old tire, and the difference between an old style plug and Stop n Go was night and day. And one in our group plugged his tire and finished the entire ride with no problems. But pulling a trailer, I would want to go to the dealer.
    Live Laugh Love 💞

Spyder Garage

I filled all three tires with the Ameriseal tire sealant that Lamonster sells, but also purchased his Air Pack, along with a kit mentioned above. Covered all my bases along with an AMA membership with towing plan.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

The above posters have you well covered. Less than a thousand miles on your tires? You should not have to worry. Tires getting near the tread warning bars....time to change them out before any trip.

Just avoid road hazards if possible and make a daily check as you travel. Travel smart...but NOT afraid. Enjoy your trip.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Most carry a plug kit and an air supply. This will allow you to plug the tire (unless to big a hole or on the sidewall) and air it up till you can get to a dealer. Also carry a credit card and the roadside assistant number. They can plug the tire for you as well.
    Gene, something has always bothered me about the “plug” option? I carry one, but........

How the heck do you find the hole when you are by yourself and you can only see a few inches of the tyre under the rear mud flap, and then only when you are lying on the ground?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Gene, something has always bothered me about the “plug” option? I carry one, but........

How the heck do you find the hole when you are by yourself and you can only see a few inches of the tyre under the rear mud flap, and then only when you are lying on the ground?

Pete
    Not Chupaca...but you have a good point. The thought of trying to fix something like that on the road, at night, in the rain, etc. scares me a lot. I would be glad for my cell phone and my credit card.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

...How the heck do you find the hole when you are by yourself and you can only see a few inches of the tyre under the rear mud flap, and then only when you are lying on the ground?

Pete
    happens! What are the odds? Life's a gamble! Roll, pump, look, repeat.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    happens! What are the odds? Life's a gamble! Roll, pump, look, repeat.
    Thanks Jaybros.....I know and accept all that. I was just wondering if anyone had a good method of finding a leak. Looks like you don’t, eh

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Most of the time, carrying a plug kit and compressor is an insurance policy. Kind of like carrying an umbrella and never having to get rained upon; a good luck charm. I carry the old fashioned "gummy worm" string type plugs, a friend of mine had those mushroom plugs blow out of his tire at 55mph TWICE!
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Easy!

I did it Wednesday, 225 miles into our trip. See Squared Away to Texas. Dismounted, had a big Phillips head screw winking at me! I have had plenty over the years. Never had to search too hard! I use the worms and cement. Aerostich compressor. Less than 20 minute delay. 1100 miles later, working great!! No worries!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Thanks Jaybros.....I know and accept all that. I was just wondering if anyone had a good method of finding a leak. Looks like you don’t, eh

Pete
    Pete, it's the only way my dumb old brain knows short of calling a rollback truck!
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I had a screw in my rear tire earlier this summer, just got new tire from dealer about a month before. Called them, and they said I needed a new tire, they can't fix motorcycle tires. I called tire places, and no one would fix it. I plugged it, and it's got 3000 miles on it, still going good as new. I have a friend that's a trucker, said he plugs all his truck, pickup, and car tires. Never had a problem. Said DOT wouldn't let him plug steer tires though. I might be a little leery about plugging a from tire on spyder and running it very far.

Spyder Garage

Default Ahhh..!!

Pete
    Never had to but I also have an RS... lots of viewing area. But I have found most times what made the hole is in the hole and fairly easy to spot. If it's raining you'll see bubbles... but to make life easier carry a scissor jack.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Plug kit, slime with compressor $18 @ Wal-Mart

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As soon as Joe got off his bike the screw in the tire was quite obvious.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Pete
    Just hope your mouth isn't dry so you can spit on the tire and look for bubbles! Actually you can probably feel with your hand the air blowing out. Hope you are stopped on the level so you can stop the bike with the parking brake off. The Spyder is easy to push even while you're on the ground.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    a friend of mine had those mushroom plugs blow out of his tire at 55mph TWICE!
    He either didn't have the mushroom head all the way in the tire or he put it in backwards with the mushroom head outside!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Just hope your mouth isn't dry so you can spit on the tire and look for bubbles! Actually you can probably feel with your hand the air blowing out. Hope you are stopped on the level so you can stop the bike with the parking brake off. The Spyder is easy to push even while you're on the ground.
    Hahaha......as if that is EVER going to happen, Idaho.....you can bet you’ll be on the side of a mountain somewhere

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    As soon as Joe got off his bike the screw in the tire was quite obvious.
    hmmmmmmm. Maybe I can fit a centrestand to the F3-L, Ann......that’d work

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Default Tire puncture

Pete
    If you have a small compressor try filling the tire and listen for the air leak. If you do not have a compressor you do not need to look for the hole as patching it without air is futile.....

Spyder Garage

On my "conventional" trike, I used Ride On in all three tires (I'm not accustomed to repairing tires on the road) and had no problems in 30K miles. I now have an F3 Limited and have not done anything to prepare for a flat, so I am in the same boat as others. Has anyone used the Ride On for their Spyder? I had good luck with my 2wheel and previous 3wheel experience, but this is my first Spyder. Any thoughts..........?

O. J.
    Ridin' "Lucille", the MusicMaker
    a 2017 F3 Limited (Pure Magnesium Metallic)
    Wife, Jan, riding "Ruby Jane"
    a 2016 F3-T (Intense Red Pearl)
    2017 F3-Limited , Magnesium (light grey)

Spyder Garage

Default Listen for the TIC, TIC, TIC and look at the tires at every stop..

On our way to Red Rocks, we rode through some rainy weather over Wolf Creek pass and stopped to warm up, Lunch and Fuel in Pagosa Springs. One of our members said she heard a strange clack clack from the back of the bike when maneuvering for fuel under the awning in Pagosa. Didn't see anything and rode on to Durango for the night. Next morning after stopping before heading out of town (another bike had a brake warning light--added a little fluid to the rear reservoir and good), the rider said she was still hearing something, and this is what we happened to see...DSCN2261.jpgSunday morning so nothing open except Walmart. Pulled into Walmart automotive lot, and asked to use their airhose and park at the side of the garage. The StopNGo kit and mushroom plug went it easily after unscrewing the 1/4" self tapping screw, and with their air it was easy to put 30 plus psi in and down the road to Page Utah that night. Had a slow leak with about 20 psi the next morning, but with a little air, we toured the North Rim of the Canyon and on to St George Monday evening.

If I was to use the plug on a larger screw like that again, I would use some rubber cement as Joe suggested. Just carry a plug kit and compressor and with a couple times of practice, don't worry.. BE HAPPY!! PS..our Ryder got a new Kumho mounted on Wednesday and was ready for the ryde and rest of the trip home
    Last edited by AeroPilot; 10-15-2017 at 01:58 PM. Reason: sp
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Invest in a tire plugging kit https://www.stopngo.com/motorcycles/ and an emergency compressor or a Lamonster pump http://www.lamonstergarage.com/lamon...ir-pack-black/ and tire sealer http://www.lamonstergarage.com/lamon...-tire-sealant/.
    Thanks for providing these links! This is a very useful thread.