Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Does This Concept Make Sense to You?

Like most of us here, I'm very concerned about safety while ryding and am interested in almost anything that will increase my safety. That said, I've come across this helmet light, not yet available but currently under development - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/b...s-motorcycle#/

At first look, it seems promising to me, since I'm an "engine-braker" who tries to use the actual brake pedal sparingly. However, after thinking about it a bit, I'm no longer so sure whether what this product offers makes sense....... That's because I ride mostly country/rural roads, so I almost never use cruise control. Consequently, I am almost always changing speed, at least incrementally. So....

1. If the light comes on every time I slow down even 1 mph, won't that be a nuisance to anyone following me, and eventually be ignored by them? (ie - "The boy who cried wolf?").

2. I suppose that the problem in #1 above could be mitigated if one were able to program in a specific amount of speed decrease before the light activates. But then that begs the question - how many mph to program in to eliminate "false positives"?

I believe that Admore already offers a "smart" brake light that has similar capabilities, so perhaps these questions are moot. But I'd sure be interested in what you all think of the concept itself of signaling the driver behind you that you're slowing down without having to press on the brake pedal. Good idea or bad?

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

There's another thread on here listing multiple decelerate signaling systems that are used or in development for motor vehicles / cyclists. But Yes, if it's too twitchy (too many false signals) the following driver will start ignoring until they see a real brake light.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I am still liking my trunk, brake light. High visibility and in about the same place as the helmet would be viewed from. They have been on all my RT's from the day they were purchased. I have also been known to flash the brake at drivers to let them know I am slowing down.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-14-2017 at 02:48 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The ad states they glow brightly only when you pull to a stop, syncing with the tail/brake light. To me that statement would make crying wolf a non-issue.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Looks good, how much it weight?
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    The ad states they glow brightly only when you pull to a stop, syncing with the tail/brake light. To me that statement would make crying wolf a non-issue.
    Hmmm.....I guess that I missed that point, Thanks!

EDIT: Just took a closer look and I don't see what you're stating (what I highlighted in bold above) anywhere. My take on it is that it glows brightly when you slow down by any means. I don't see where (or how) it differentiates between a full stop and just slowing down. (And that's the gist of the problem with this concept for me).

As for "syncing with the tail/brake light", how is that accomplished if it's wireless?

Not complaining here, just asking. I find it to be an interesting idea, but I think that the trick is in properly implementing it.
    Last edited by newbert; 10-14-2017 at 10:09 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Take a class

Use the brake. It lights the light. There are only three things you do on a motorcycle: adjust speed, adjust position, communicate. Use the brake to signal drivers behind you you are adjusting speed. You slow before a turn or stop; your Spyder has large tail lights to communicate. Add more lights: high mount is great, the police light is great, TRIC LED has additional brake lights, Spyderpops has 3rd and 4th brake lights, Lamont’s lights are great. Get some, and use them! Brake pads are much cheaper than clutches and transmissions. Use the brake!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Use the brake. It lights the light. There are only three things you do on a motorcycle: adjust speed, adjust position, communicate. Use the brake to signal drivers behind you you are adjusting speed. You slow before a turn or stop; your Spyder has large tail lights to communicate. Add more lights: high mount is great, the police light is great, TRIC LED has additional brake lights, Spyderpops has 3rd and 4th brake lights, Lamont’s lights are great. Get some, and use them! Brake pads are much cheaper than clutches and transmissions. Use the brake!
    Those are surely righteous words to live by brother. AMEN
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have a Gear Brake unit that flashes brakes when you slow down. It also flashes when you step on the brakes.
    2014 RTSS , Cogna/ black

Spyder Garage

I just added the "Admore Smart Brake Light" to my 2016 RTL. ( https://admorelighting.com/product/a...ration-safety/ ) It comes on from deceleration, then when you press the brake pedal it comes on brighter and flashes a quick flashing white led in the center. Will also show sequential flashing with the turn signals or with the emergency lights. I mounted it high on the trunk for better visibility. Since there were no flat surfaces there, I mounted the bracket on some thick rubber spacers from Lowes. It is also programable, if you want to change the default settings.

Brake Light2.jpgBrake Light1.jpgBrake Light3.jpg

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The only thing i would worry about could it be a distraction at night to other drivers who don't know what it is at a distance.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    Looks good, how much it weight?
    170 Grams / 6 ounces

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joebryanjr View Post
    I have a Gear Brake unit that flashes brakes when you slow down. It also flashes when you step on the brakes.
    I use this also and feel it is a big safety feature.
    2015 RTS
    Replaced Catalytic Converter with Lamonster Pipe

Rivco Flag Holders
    Tricled wideview mirrors
    Garage door opener
    Zumo GPS
    Ultimate seat
    F4 windshield with vent
    Doc's belt damper
    Value Accessories RAM mount
    Baja Ron sway bar and Links

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I only ride the back roads, but I've noticed something interesting ... and nice. I wear a white helmet, number one, which I consider more visible than black. And I have to tip my head a bit to look at my left rear view mirror because my little water bottle is a tiny bit in the way. I check that mirror frequently, and what I've noticed is, many drivers seem to be able to tell what I'm doing and they apparently interpret it as me worrying about them. Consequently, now, whenever I intend to turn or stop, I look 2-3 times at that mirror, bing, bing, bing, and by gosh, most drivers actually drop back as if to let me know that they understand and they're not going to run me down.

Or maybe they just think I'm a crazy lady and don't know what the hell I'm up to, so they back off to save their own skins. But either way, I get noticed!
    Last edited by ruralgirl; 10-14-2017 at 07:33 PM.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by george123 View Post
    It comes on from deceleration, then when you press the brake pedal it comes on brighter and flashes a quick flashing white led in the center.
    If I were you I would turn off the center white LEDs. The Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard specifically states a high mounted stop lamp will be red. In fact, you ought to contact Admore and ask them about it and see if they've gotten an interpretation from NHTSA allowing the strobe white LEDs for braking. I doubt they have. You risk getting stopped by a cop, and if you have no documentation, nor can cite such documentation, you'll have a problem to deal with.

Interestingly, Standard 108 does not address modulated or flashing brake lights at all, other than to state that stop lamps shall be steady burning. It does address modulated headlights.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I like that this one registers if you've had a crash and contacts emergency responders.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ed-brake-light
    2022 Ryker 600 , Yellow panels (at the moment)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Those are surely righteous words to live by brother. AMEN
    I couldn't agree more!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There has been wireless helmet brake light around for almost 20 years. I had one from the mid 90's when I use to ride 2 wheels bikes. This one does looks large and might not fit many of the new design helmets, but it does look much brighter than the ones I use to own.