Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Where is your "sense of adventure" hiding this morning?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Patti,
    Are you thinking of making the trip again?

If Jack is gong:
    Nope! Next time I go will be on the ferry!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What'll you be taking with you?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

In 2011 my buddy and I went to Alaska with our Honda Goldwings. Tampa FL to Coldfoot AK 12250 miles in 21 days. We also went to Anchorage. It was the best long distance trip I have ever done. We camped every night without any reservation; there are plenty of campgrounds in between. I would like to do the trip again with my Can-Am Spyder this time.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Nope! Next time I go will be on the ferry!

Maybe I will reconsider and go with Patti.
    25 years of experience with Ferry's after living on Bainbridge Is. WA. Not a bad way to go. I 'm not a big

fan of gravel and rock chips.

Hope to see you in Bourne next week Patti.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default Alaska for 2018

Quote Originally Posted by tomand View Post
    Anyone besides me thinking of a North to Alaska trip next summer? I'm in Vegas area and am very interested.

This sounds great. Some of us in and around The Dalles, Oregon are making plans to go also. I was looking at leaving about June 15 or around that time. I have worked up a couple of routes based on what the group did a couple of years ago. The Alaska Milepost magazine is a great resource. If we can get a bunch together to do the trip it sounds like a blast. Looks like a minimum of 2 weeks or more depending the route and stops.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jimnsusie View Post
    This sounds great. Some of us in and around The Dalles, Oregon are making plans to go also. I was looking at leaving about June 15 or around that time. I have worked up a couple of routes based on what the group did a couple of years ago. The Alaska Milepost magazine is a great resource. If we can get a bunch together to do the trip it sounds like a blast. Looks like a minimum of 2 weeks or more depending the route and stops.
    Two weeks for the round trip would be pushing it. To enjoy it plan on a week to get there and a week to return. Than add in how long you want to be in Alaska. I would say three weeks total would be the minimum.
    The last time Kathy and I went we were part of the first NTA group and we took 4 weeks and felt that was to short.
    The first time we did it on a HD Road King. We only took 3 weeks for that and did I not see as much of Alaska as we wanted to, and had to do very long days in the saddle.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Two weeks for the round trip would be pushing it. To enjoy it plan on a week to get there and a week to return. Than add in how long you want to be in Alaska. I would say three weeks total would be the minimum.
    The last time Kathy and I went we were part of the first NTA group and we took 4 weeks and felt that was to short.
    The first time we did it on a HD Road King. We only took 3 weeks for that and did I not see as much of Alaska as we wanted to, and had to do very long days in the saddle.
    I agree about the time involved. I did the 2 routes I have based only on miles per day between overnight stops. One was based on about 400 miles a day going to Tok, Alaska and over the top of the world hwy and return south. That showed 14 days of riding every day which wouldn't allow for time for other things. The other route had days riding about 300 miles a day going to Skagway and back with about 10 days of riding. It doesn't take into account other stops, pictures, meal times etc. But you have to start somewhere in the planning process and it depends on what the consensus of the group was.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimnsusie View Post
    I agree about the time involved. I did the 2 routes I have based only on miles per day between overnight stops. One was based on about 400 miles a day going to Tok, Alaska and over the top of the world hwy and return south. That showed 14 days of riding every day which wouldn't allow for time for other things. The other route had days riding about 300 miles a day going to Skagway and back with about 10 days of riding. It doesn't take into account other stops, pictures, meal times etc. But you have to start somewhere in the planning process and it depends on what the consensus of the group was.
    I took 5 weeks for the NTA trip from Kansas, but that included lots of sight seeing in the lower 48 on the way to the meet-up in Washington. But 400 miles per day would be my max, since I want to see some things along the way. We also did 2 nights in Whitehorse so we could do a side trip to Skagway. It was a nice break.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

I also have to agree with Patti. 300 - 400 miles per day is what you should shoot for. Gives plenty of time for stops to "smell the roses," and other things. Whizzing down the highway at 80 to 100 all the time (and you wont do that on the Alcan), would not be my cup of tea either.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red