Spyder Garage

Default Help..... P0550 error

Hi all,

Well we went to pick up the new 2017 RT-S today, and just down the road i got a check engine light and the power steering light was flashing on the dash.
    I took it straight back to the dealer....of course it stopped as soon as i arrived there! The mechanic said it may come up with a code when new!??
    So i headed home, and it came up again just down the road. It was on like that the whole 150km trip home.
    We did another trip, and the first 15km it wasn't there, but came up again!
    I pulled up the code and it says P0550 ....according to spyder codes... it is Power Steering Pressure Sensor Circuit Malfunction.

Does it mean another trip back to the dealer??? What should a be doing?

Thanks
    Karl

Spyder Garage

It might pay to take a pic or too of what the message looks like when it's misbehaving, but yeah, it sounds like a visit to the Dealer is on again!! I wonder if they just didn't initialise the power steering properly??

At least it's an error that shows up on SpyderCodes, I usually get ID- 10-T errors!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Take them with you on your visit to your Dealer! That way, they shouldn't have any questions.

If it keeps doing it, a couple more with different km readings might help.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-14-2017 at 03:13 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default let the dealer

take it too the dealer , let them road test it , might be the sensor is bad , or going bad ... or just alignment adjustment ?

Spyder Garage

ok.....disconnected the battery for 20min to do a reset....seems to have done the trick!

Just got back from a ride, and i definitely have power steering now....didn't have it on the ride home!

Going for a 300km ride tomorrow, so that will test it out!

Cheers

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default WHAT

The mechanic said it may come up with a code when new!??

Really that is the dumbest thing I ever heard coming from a DEALER.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    The mechanic said it may come up with a code when new!??

Really that is the dumbest thing I ever heard coming from a DEALER.
    I have to agree with you on that.

Also disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes is also useless but a very common myth. The DPS does not contain any volatile memory that needs to be maintained by battery. The only item connected to the battery after shut down is the gauge cluster and that is to run the clock. If disconnecting the battery fixed it, it's just a coincidence. Or it will come back. But the most likely is the battery cables did not have a good connection and disconnecting and reconnecting fixed the problem.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Step two....

I have and do recommend the "key walk" though it has been said to be a myth and pointless I have found that it does works and a simple step prior to the battery disconnect step. The wait times vary and I hear some different figures 30-45 min some less especially the RS,GS,RSS models. Many that garage keep their spyders tend to turn the key off and never remove it (IPS lamonster key cover) and considering that many rydes may not have long stops where the computers totally shut down you do not get a full reset. RT's have much longer reset times as they have so many more systems (the long wait to start up) but if after the key walk and or battery disconnect if it comes back then it would be advisable to take it back to the dealer. I have had codes and warnings pop up on the screen, like VSS, and simply pull in the clutch turn off and pull the key put it behind me coast a while and then restart and the codes and warnings are gone and don't return till I make some manuver the nanny does not like...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I would be questioning dealer set-up. They do that when new, is pegging my BS meter for sure.

Hope you get it solved. PS--you are under warranty.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys....must admit I thought it was b.s. about the codes too.
    We are going for about a 4 hour ride today, so that should test it out a bit!

That is if I can actually walk to the bike.....legs are NOT used to riding! 😁

Spyder Garage

Default Computer Codes

Can Am has had more than 10 years to get this worked out. A brand new Spyder and it gets codes off the showroom floor? The dealership doesn't have a clue? Give me a freaking break! I have owned 2 Spyders and this is an example of why I traded them. I now ride a Yamaha FJ-09 and you know what? I NEVER worry about the bike on a ride, long or short. It NEVER lets me down. Ten years and they can't get it right. I come back to this forum from time to see if things are better because I like the idea of the Spyder (although I was disappointed when they ditched the RS). What's it going to take - another 10 years? David

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm thinking the battery connections could be the issue. Why? Because the battery is not in the bike in the crate. The dealer charges the battery and installs it when they assemble the bike. If they didn't get the connections done right power steering is probably the first problem to come up. But this is the first time that code has been mentioned, so it may not be a battery cable problem.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

So it did it again this morning.
    I restarted the bike, and it hasn't done it again since, all day!
    The dealer also put on the Fox shocks for me before i picked it up....could they have knocked something to do with the power steering while doing that? Does anyone have any info about where that is located?
    I think i might have to invest in a service manual!

Cheers
    Karl

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the World of Spyders, Karl. A lot of folks don't get what they pay for when they buy a Spyder, that's for sure.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Please take it back to the dealer and have them fix the problem before you get stranded or?

The problem is not going away and I am sure you don't want to keep seeing these codes too.