Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by joebryanjr View Post
    I don't supply anything. I agree with your comment about "goodwill" In essence you are insulting the dealer by implying that he is charging too much for the oil.
    Well, when one dealer charges US $9.95 for a quart of oil, and another charges $13.95 per quart, my guess is dealer #2 is charging too much. Just my uninformed opinion.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnny canuck View Post
    Ouch, ouch, ouch!!!! Took the spyder into the dealer for it's first inspection and oil change. Before they even started they quoted me over $500 bucks. Said it takes three hours for their inspection, oil change and test ride. Supplied my own oil which dropped the price to $475+. No wonder people complain and dealers aren't selling a ton of spiders. "OR" maybe this is the continual and perpetual gouge and screw we get here in Canada.
    That's precisely why I do my own servicing! $96 for the BRP Kit and a couple of hours of my time is all it costs me. Local dealer wants $320 (to start). Plus I get the bonus of knowing that the job was done Properly, not by the lowest paid guy on staff.
    I have to admit that I do have an advantage in that I was an auto tech for over 30 years, so servicing is an easy task. But it would be worth you while to learn how to do this job if you are at all mechanically inclined!
    Last edited by SpyderNeil; 10-13-2017 at 04:08 PM.
    2020 Harley Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2017 F3-T SE6 White / BRP Backrest / Nuvi 58 LM / Polaris Spring Spacers / CALSCI 22" Shield
    2016 RTE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Seems a bit stiff

Ouch, ouch, ouch!!!! Took the spyder into the dealer for it's first inspection and oil change. Before they even started they quoted me over $500 bucks. Said it takes three hours for their inspection, oil change and test ride. Supplied my own oil which dropped the price to $475+. No wonder people complain and dealers aren't selling a ton of spiders. "OR" maybe this is the continual and perpetual gouge and screw we get here in Canada.
    Where did you take it ? I've had good service and reasonable bills at Snow City in Toronto

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by classicvw View Post
    You guys that supply your own oil, why? Save money? Goodwill is a two way street.

The next time you go to a restaurant, bring your own steak and ask them to cook it for you and ask them to take $5 off their price of a steak dinner. Let me know how that works out.
    I supply my own oil because I have used 100% synthetic oil (Amsoil) for about the last 15 years in my bikes, cars and small engines. BRP oil is a blended "semi" synthetic. It has nothing to do with the cost of the oil. I think I provided "good will" when I popped 35K + on a 2017 RTL + accessories. (Canadian Prices)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderNeil View Post
    That's precisely why I do my own servicing! $96 for the BRP Kit and a couple of hours of my time is all it costs me. Local dealer wants $320 (to start). Plus I get the bonus of knowing that the job was done Properly, not by the lowest paid guy on staff.
    I have to admit that I do have an advantage in that I was an auto tech for over 30 years, so servicing is an easy task. But it would be worth you while to learn how to do this job if you are at all mechanically inclined!
    Will be doing my own oil changes from now on. Took it to the dealer for it's "first" service and oil change for warranty. Didn't want to leave the "breakin oil" in over winter. Will still be buying BRP filter and O-rings.

Spyder Garage

Supplied my own oil which dropped the price to $475+.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Winger View Post
    Ontario is a big place.I would look for another dealer.My first inspection was approx 300..
    My first service was $75 as I had done my own oil/filter change. You had said in a previous thread you are near Hamilton. There are several Spyder Dealers within an hour of you. My dealer is in Uxbridge. (not close to you but much less expensive)

Even with an oil/filter change mine would have only been $250.00. You should consider a new dealer!!
    Marilyn 2023 RTL Red
    John 2023 RTL Black

previous:
    2015 RTS SE6 Red
    2015 F3S SE6 Silver
    2011 RT SM5 Silver
    2013 STS SM5 Silver

"common sense will prevail....but we see no sign of that"

Spyder Garage

Default Maintenance Costs Higher Than Expected

Here in Winnipeg we only have one dealer for the whole Province. Over the past three years of ownership we have had our back and forth chit-chats about prices for various maintenance items. The price you paid for the first ever was somewhat high, in my estimation. However, not knowing what part of Ontario you are in, look around and check out other dealerships.
    2014 ST Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have always done all my own service on my motorcycles. I have done my second oil change on my Spyder. The first one took me about three hours. I found the tools I needed to purchase. The last one the oil kit with filter and all o-rings & seals was $56.00 and it took me less than 1-1/2 hours. The only time mind will ever be in a dealer is if it something I cannot fix. The last three Goldwings I owned was never in a dealer until the day I traded them off. The 2008 had 57,000 miles on it, the 2012 had 54,000 miles and the 2015 F6B had 28,000 miles on it. On them I did the air filters, antifreeze change and brake fluid change, check value clearance everything that was recommended. BMW's were a lot the Spyders. The dealer's wanted you to bring them in for every little thing. Again I did all my own service on them. I do keep a record on everything I do. I did not have any trouble with warranty work on them which I did have with them.
    Last edited by gerald37; 10-17-2017 at 12:26 PM.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Wow! My first checkup and oil change was $167. I like my dealership more every day.
    and where are you and what dealer??????????? that is awesome compared to what others are experiencing!
    BIG F

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes ,OMG sometimes I wish I can take my oil change to local oil wells or express oil change for only $ 19.99. I 'm glad I can DIY and save money But I'm also thinking in the future when I can't.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

I have followed this thread with great interest as I also live in Ontario, and just dropped my 2017 F3L off at my dealer, HB Cycle, in Lindsay, last Friday, for its first inspection and oil change. Picked up my ryde today; everything in great shape, no faults. Must say that I experienced a very different result than the OP had. Shop rates as posted at HB are $100/hr. Shop time charged for my inspection/oil change was 90 minutes ($150); BRP oil change kit cost was $94.99. Shop supplies were a basic $5.00 and tax (8% Provincial, 5% federal) added another $32.50. Total cost for first inspection/oil change, including thorough check of Spyder, looking for codes, adjusting belt drive, checking brakes, tires, etc., etc., was $282.49 Can. (about $226.00 US).

I like my dealer, always have been treated courteously and respectfully. I hear the same from other owners who travel several hours to do business there. My work order also included installation of a special deceleration brake light and attempted installation of a blue tooth dongle, which could not be completed as the part was not appropriate for what I wanted. I got charged an additional basic hour's time for the special brake light wiring job, nothing for the aborted attempt at the blue tooth dongle set-up, and a complete return (credit) for money previously spent towards acquiring the non-usable parts. I felt that was a very fair result all around.

So, just to say, there are great Spyder dealers out there, and I believe I found one, with the helpful encouragement and advice of other Spyder owners. My advice to the OP - look around at other shops; you can always come over our way. You'll be treated very fairly!!!
    Last edited by bushrat; 10-18-2017 at 08:05 PM.
    [SIGPIC]
    2017 F3 Ltd. Intense Red Pearl/Metallic Black topside
    2017 F3Limited , lowered brake pedal Intense Red Pearl w. Metallic Black topside

Spyder Garage

Mine was $254....Illinois.

........." It's a Great Life if you don't weaken' ".........

"You don't stop having fun when you get old...
    you get old when you stop having fun"

" Remember, Aging is Mandatory...
    Maturing is Optional "
    2014 RTS Limited , Matt Grey

Spyder Garage

St Onge in Barrie quoted me $275 for oil filter lube all joints and check over bike.
    Done all of Canada except NWT and parts of Australia, New Zealand and areas of Europe

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil change and inspection at 7500 miles

oil and filter change: $156.00, Inspection: $110.00, Shop labor Rate: $110.00.
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Service $

I ride a Harley Road King and the wife has a new Spyder F3-T. Harley is as bad if not worse for their cost(s) of service.
    I have always done my own periodic services on my Harley's and plan to do the same with the Spyder. I use premium synthetic oil and OEM filters and parts. I take my time and have a service book to follow.
    I have also gotten on YouTube and found some great How-To video for both models (Lamonster for Spyders). They will give you step by step instructions. Stop the video during each step, continue when that step is completed.
    If you invest some $ in the tools/equipment needed it pays off and nobody has a more vested interest in doing it correctly than you.