Spyder Garage

Default REAR CALI[PER LOCKED UP-NEED HELP

Hello everyone, I am in the process of changing the rear tire and unfortunately put the parking brake on when the caliper was off the rotor, the pads are now tight and I cant seem to get the caliper to release. I have removed the pads and used a u-clamp to try and compress the caliper. I tried to release some pressure thru the bleed screw, but no luck getting it to compress. Any suggestions??
    Thank you in advance for your time.

Daniel

Spyder Garage

The rear brake piston on these Spyders are designed to screw back in!! (well, on all the Spyders since about 2013, anyway...) You'll need to find something to insert into the two holes in the face of the piston in order to get enough leverage to screw the piston back in. Many seem to get away with using long nosed pliers, altho there are other tools out there that you can get which are designed specifically for this job on many different vehicles, it's quite a common thing now. I just hope you haven't damaged anything by trying to force it back in with a G clamp, they can exert a fair amount of force!

Good Luck
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-14-2017 at 05:53 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default There you have it...

You should be all set...just let us know it all worked out before you disappear over the horizon....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black