Thread: Car Tire

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Car Tire

Do most all tire shops have a tire changer that will take the rear wheel of a Spyder or is there just current tire changers that will? I plan to take my wheel off and purchase a car tire to replace it. Also can a tire shop balance the wheel and tire or is the Centramatic balance worth the money? I did have a Harbor freight tire changer with the motorcycle attachment but I don't know if it would have worked on the rear tire or not. If it would I may purchase another one.

After looking at the wheel on the rear it kooks like it would go on the Harbor Freight changer with the motorcycle attachment. Has any one used the Harbor Freight changer on the Spyder wheels? I am sure the front would work OK. I have changer a lot of motorcycle tires with one of these changers.
    Last edited by gerald37; 10-11-2017 at 09:11 AM.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Most auto shops should be able to mount the rear tire. The small diameter of the axle hole may keep them from balancing though. You could use the axle and two jack stands to do it with stick on weights or the centramatics should work. I also used balance beads in the rear tire. I have the Harbor Freight changer too but have not tried mounting spyder tires.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 10-11-2017 at 10:06 PM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Most auto shops should be able to mount the rear tire. The small diameter of the axle hole may keep them from balancing though. You could use the axle and two jack stands to do it with stick on weights or the center magic should work. I also used balance beads in the rear tire. I have the Harbor Freight changer too but have not tried mounting spyder tires.
    I have one of the balance with the holders for using jack stands and thought it might work. I have put balance beads in my front tires but not in the rear as yet. I think I am going to purchase anther Harbor Freight changer and I think it will work. I did a lot of tires using the changer. It took a while for me to learn how to use it.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

If you get the HF tire changer, either buy or make a set of Mojo Blocks to protect the rim. I also found using thin rubber gasket material on the Mojo Blocks helps keep the rim from spinning when you are using the mount/demount bar. I drilled new holes in two of the rim clamps where they mount to the "spokes" of the HF changer so the rim would be centered better. I use a piece of rubber mat on the bead breaker spoon and on the floor to protect the rim. The best advice I can give you is get a NoMar mount/demount bar. You can go on their web site to watch videos changing car tires, which are more closely related to our Spyder tires. I have changed the front tires on my 2014 RTS, but I have not changed the rear tire yet.

H2O

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've had all three of my tires changed at the local tire shop. They can spin balance the fronts but not the rear. They put in commercial grade liquid balance in the rear. Works good.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by H2O View Post
    If you get the HF tire changer, either buy or make a set of Mojo Blocks to protect the rim. I also found using thin rubber gasket material on the Mojo Blocks helps keep the rim from spinning when you are using the mount/demount bar. I drilled new holes in two of the rim clamps where they mount to the "spokes" of the HF changer so the rim would be centered better. I use a piece of rubber mat on the bead breaker spoon and on the floor to protect the rim. The best advice I can give you is get a NoMar mount/demount bar. You can go on their web site to watch videos changing car tires, which are more closely related to our Spyder tires. I have changed the front tires on my 2014 RTS, but I have not changed the rear tire yet.

H2O
    Thanks for the information. I had the NoMar mount/demount bar and they do work great. I sold them when I sold my older changer but am going to replace them. I just picked up a new Harbor tire changer it was the same as my old one but the motorcycle attachment is different. Looks much better and is heavier than the old one. Thanks again for the information. I have changed a lot of motorcycle tires with my old changer and was doing about everything you suggested. I just did not know if it would work on the Spyder wheels.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

don't recommend the tire beads on the fronts. Didn't work for me anyway. Went with a road force balance at firestone.

I don't have the Barbor freight tire changer but used another brand for at home and works fine. I used straps to hold the wheel while breaking the bead on the changer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by H2O View Post

H2O
    I have the NoMar changer set up, but the tip on their mount/dismount bar is not strong enough to do a car tire. Was thinking about purchasing the mount/dismount bar from HF and using rim protectors. Since Costo only charges $15 to remove/replace, and dispose of the old tire I gone that route as the car tires last 20,000+ miles.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I think the best bet would be to bring the rear tyre to a non-can am motorcyle shop. They have compatible machines for our size wheels.
    2016 F3L , Big Bike Parts Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    I have the NoMar changer set up, but the tip on their mount/dismount bar is not strong enough to do a car tire. Was thinking about purchasing the mount/dismount bar from HF and using rim protectors. Since Costo only charges $15 to remove/replace, and dispose of the old tire I gone that route as the car tires last 20,000+ miles.
    I mean no offense and don't wish to debate, but the demount tip is strong enough for a car tire. It's all in the technique and NoMar cautions not to try prying the bead up over the rim or the tip will break. The trick is to use the "hook" on the tip to pull the bead straight up to the rim and then rock it over. Technically you are still prying the bead but it's not like prying the bead from 2" below the edge of the rim. They have a couple of videos showing a BMW car tire and a Hummer tire.

H2O

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by papanorm View Post
    I think the best bet would be to bring the rear tyre to a non-can am motorcyle shop. They have compatible machines for our size wheels.
    In our area they will not do other brand bikes. They would not do a Spyder?
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS