Spyder Garage

Default P0174 code and check engine

We have a 2011 RT Limited with almost 50,000 miles. Rode on Saturday 300 miles no issues. Went again on Sunday and were about 100 miles in when the check engine light came on. Throwing code P0174. I've looked on here and seems to not be a terribly unique issue. I've seen mention of vacum hoses to replace, throttle body to clean, cracks in boot that connects TB to engine. I'd like to check these things myself before we take it 2 hours to the dealership. Where are these hoses, TB and boot all located so I can inspect?

Might be related but the last month or so, after riding and parking in the garage, there is a sweet gas like smell.

Anything else I should be checking before I take it to the dealer. I'm no mechanic but I can wrench on things when I need to.

Thanks, Doug

Spyder Garage

The P0174- ECM
    System too lean Bank 2
    Injection & Fuel Supply System
    Check injector and fuel supply system

This is what I found on Spyder Codes.
    2017 F3- Limited

F4 23" Windshield, Ultimate Backrest, Spyder Cuff, SpyderPops Bump Guard, Sena SMH10 Intercom, BajaRon Sway Bar, Baker Cup Holder, RT-622 trailer w/Spyder Pops Bump Guard

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..

You will have to remove some panels.. at anyrate on the left side top of the cylinders in between them you will see the two little hoses that dry out and crack going to the throttle body. A bit under and behind you will see the rubber boots that connect the throttle body to the cylinders. You can spray some WD40 around the area while the engine idles to see if the rpm's change. If it rev's up there is a leak. If your hoses have not been changed ever...get some silicone hoses and replace them while your there. Black silicone can be spread on the rubber boots for a temporary fix...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Here is where the hoses are.
    In the first picture you can see the rubber boots under the Throttle body. The #3 label is just at the bottom of the boot.
    Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Resolved

Quote Originally Posted by viiiball View Post
    We have a 2011 RT Limited with almost 50,000 miles. Rode on Saturday 300 miles no issues. Went again on Sunday and were about 100 miles in when the check engine light came on. Throwing code P0174. I've looked on here and seems to not be a terribly unique issue. I've seen mention of vacum hoses to replace, throttle body to clean, cracks in boot that connects TB to engine. I'd like to check these things myself before we take it 2 hours to the dealership. Where are these hoses, TB and boot all located so I can inspect?

Might be related but the last month or so, after riding and parking in the garage, there is a sweet gas like smell.

Anything else I should be checking before I take it to the dealer. I'm no mechanic but I can wrench on things when I need to.

Thanks, Doug
    I have a 2011 RT/S with about 43,000 on it that I have only had for about 2months. Two weeks after getting it the check engine light came on and code p0174 was what came up. The dealership changed the Evap canister. Then two more weeks went by with the same thing happening again. They updated the ECU, cleared the code and said it was could to go. Two more weeks go by and boom the check engine light came back on and the same code p0174. They have had it for three days and are now thinking its the purge valve acting up randomly. They did check for vacuum leaks also. I was just wondering if you were able to figure out what was causing yours to come on and what fixed yours. Thanks

Spyder Garage

Default Pulling out my hair

Update on my 20011 RTSE5

Two weeks after the dealer changed out the purge valve I was riding in 4th gear at 55 mph and the bike hesitated and the check engine light came on. The R and N lights were flashing on and off and there was a E in the area where it tells you what gear your in. The codes that came up were p0174, p2806, p0730, and U1201. The dealer emailed BRP with the codes and everything that's been done to it in the last three months. They emailed back to check evap canister and purge valve, which have both been replaced. So this time they changed out the vacuum lines and reset the transmission with the buds software. I rode it home and the next day went for a short ride to town. On the way in the check engine light came on and the R and N flashing again. When I down shifted the light went off, but as soon as I hit 4th gear again it acted up again. This time I am getting the same codes but no P0174, just the other three. I asked if they checked the GPS, and the tech said he checked it with buds and it was okay. So back to the dealer Tuesday. I think I just bought someone else's problems. I'm at my wits end with this thing. To much money for something I have only been able to ride a few times in three months! HELP

Spyder Garage

Vacuum hoses, which they replaced, good. Your other problem sounds like gear position sensor.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles