Spyder Garage

Default RT Sidecase rack?

I've surfed spyderlovers and the web in general to see if I can find RT sidecase racks. By this I mean a rack that goes on the top of the side cases so one could place a bag here on top of the side case. One could then bungee it to both the rack and passenger handrails if required. Anyone know of anything like this?

Another option is to put some kind of rub rails on the top of the side cases so I could put a bag here and bungee it to the passenger handrails without scratching the top of the side cases. Anyone know of anything like this?

Regards,
    Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robhowen View Post
    I've surfed spyderlovers and the web in general to see if I can find RT sidecase racks. By this I mean a rack that goes on the top of the side cases so one could place a bag here on top of the side case. One could then bungee it to both the rack and passenger handrails if required. Anyone know of anything like this?

Another option is to put some kind of rub rails on the top of the side cases so I could put a bag here and bungee it to the passenger handrails without scratching the top of the side cases. Anyone know of anything like this?

Regards,
    Rob
    It's surprising that nobody has come up with something like this. Seems to make sense even for light items.
    Then of course they could invent a custom made bags for the carrier and custom straps to secure the bag.
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

Default Try this....

They made them for goldwings and some of the others like the venture, kawazaki, cavalcade etc. Try checking there , they may work on the RT...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I came up with this solution for securing extra items on the back seat when riding solo

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...eat-Helmet-etc

Hope this helps
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Not a rack, but I've used these on my BMW bags.
    http://www.twistedthrottle.com/bungi...hoC8X0QAvD_BwE
    Bob S

Spyder Garage

If you do a little research hereon you will find that a few SL contributors have had trouble with the saddlebag hinges breaking. Doc Humphries even has a replacement system that is more stout than the OEM hinge. That said, it might not be the best idea to put extra weight on the saddlebag door. JMO.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you for the warning

Thank you for the warning as I don't want to put undo pressure on the hinges. Also, I'm not finding any side bag racks that seem to fit. I'm leaning towards putting on some sort of protective covering such as 3M film or stick-on chrome molding strips or ??? This will protect the top of the bag and I can attach the bag to the passenger grip. I've done this before by placing a cloth on top of the bag to protect it. It doesn't look very good but it works and I've proven that the bag will stay put.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    If you do a little research hereon you will find that a few SL contributors have had trouble with the saddlebag hinges breaking. Doc Humphries even has a replacement system that is more stout than the OEM hinge. That said, it might not be the best idea to put extra weight on the saddlebag door. JMO.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Those compartments are like clamshells: they need to open along the top...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Bob
    I have seen 2 RT's with Harley chrome racks like fit on the Harley side bags on top of theirs,
    there are several companies that make chrome racks that will work.

Regards,
    Rob

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The way that they're shaped: I'm pretty curious to see how they can make it work...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would be concerned about putting additional weight on the top of the side-opening side cases. The H-D cases are designed for that; the Spyders' are not. You're also defeating the aerodynamic qualities of the smooth surface of the side cases.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default RT Sidecase rack?

Just my 2 cents worth But Is the strength of the side case open or closed enough to support that much extra weight? I thought I read somewhere on here about early year Spyders having hinge failures?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Regards,
    Rob
    From your description I envision a rack that is cantilevered over the side case. So nothing is touching the side cases, but makes a wide platform behind the ryder. Is that what you mean? F4, a SL sponsor, makes a rack for the back of an F3 Spyder. This sounds like something they could develop if there's sufficient interest.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Maybe

I looked at the F4 website and I don't find what you are speaking of. However, given your description it is something I was considering as well. I found a BMW GS owner that did a DYI project that is similar to what you describe. He created a metal shelf that wrapped around the rear of his bike giving him mounting areas above each of his side bags and behind his tail bag.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    From your description I envision a rack that is cantilevered over the side case. So nothing is touching the side cases, but makes a wide platform behind the ryder. Is that what you mean? F4, a SL sponsor, makes a rack for the back of an F3 Spyder. This sounds like something they could develop if there's sufficient interest.