Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    When we bought our first Spyder in 2012, it was assembled from the crate and with several thousand miles use, had a severe inside of the tire wear develope. We got the Spyder aligned by Lamonster garage in Springfield the next Spyderfest trip, and we did remount the tires on the wheels and got some more useful wear out of them although I did not record the mileage at the time. If your tires are otherwise rolling smooth with no vibrations or other wise uneven wear, Your Choice on how to proceed. Car tires will give you better wear and most likely better/smoother roll, as has been our experience with some Michelin defenders mounted on the 14 " wheels on the 11 RT model. The Michelins were still on the bike when we traded it with 76,000 miles on the odometer. The front tires you can usually count on getting about 20,000 miles if you watch them and at about $100 a tire depending on your choice, It's your call, and hope there are not any other frame or A-arm issues contributing to your wear. How many total miles on the bike?
    24,000 miles on the Spyder. It's thanksgiving here in Canada so the dealer is closed today but I'll take it in tomorrow and have them look at it.
    I'm one of the lucky ones. A good dealer 6 miles from home.
    Hopefully it's just an alignment issue. Certainly looks like it but we'll see.
    Last edited by Wrongway; 10-09-2017 at 03:25 PM. Reason: can't spell
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TIRE WEAR

.....Some people put BANDAIDS on things thinking it fixes the Problem ---- IT DOESN'T ....it only masks the issue for another Day .... Like swapping tires L to R etc. ... it's fine if you can get this done for FREE .... because it's a band-aid, you have to deal with it ...again ...& again ...& again ... etc ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .....Some people put BANDAIDS on things thinking it fixes the Problem ---- IT DOESN'T ....it only masks the issue for another Day .... Like swapping tires L to R etc. ... it's fine if you can get this done for FREE .... because it's a band-aid, you have to deal with it ...again ...& again ...& again ... etc ..... Mike
    Yep, I agree about the bandaid thing. I have no intention of rotating the tires. I'll let the dealer tell me what they think is causing the tire wear but I think most of us agree that it looks like an alignment should cure the cause.
    As far as replacing the tires, I'll wait and see how it goes since I'll probably need a new rear tire in about 4,000 miles.
    Thanks again for all the help. It's really appreciated.

Greg
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

I have also had an issue with my right tire wearing unevenly on the inside and pulling to the left.
    Had the alignment checked twice by our local dealer and it was correct.

I am from and engineering tinkering background and could not leave it at that as it was. I set up a laser based system to check the camber and found the right wheel was way out.
    BRP say there is no adjustment for camber. WRONG. I have made shims to put between the suspension junction at the top where it bolts together and working out the geometry added 1.05mm pushing the top of the wheel out curing my issue.
    New alignment and it was still fine.
    The BRP tech was gobb smacked but it now drives straight and tire wear is even.
    We call it Kiwi ingenuity.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poody View Post
    I have also had an issue with my right tire wearing unevenly on the inside and pulling to the left. Had the alignment checked twice by our local dealer and it was correct. I am from an engineering tinkering background and could not leave it at that as it was. I set up a laser based system to check the camber and found the right wheel was way out. BRP say there is no adjustment for camber. WRONG. I have made shims to put between the suspension junction at the top where it bolts together and working out the geometry added 1.05mm pushing the top of the wheel out curing my issue. New alignment and it was still fine. The BRP tech was gobb-smacked but it now drives straight and tire wear is even. We call it Kiwi ingenuity.
    THANK YOU! I believe some Spyders DO have an off-camber issue and there has to be a way to fix that short of replacing components. I really appreciate your taking the initiative to get to the heart of the uneven tire wear problem rather than just accept the conventional wisdom.

NOW, since there don't seem to be systems commercially available to detect and fix camber issues, can you please explain / describe / show us how you did it?

Thanks again. I feel vindicated.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poody View Post
    BRP say there is no adjustment for camber. WRONG.
    It might just be semantics Poody.

Here in the States (and I assume in Canada) we usually say there is no adjustment if you can't move something with available adjusters (wheels, dials, wrenches etc.). Shims used to be the accepted way of adjusting camber in vehicles but it was so time consuming that it gradually fell out of favor and now usually exists only in vehicles like race cars. Most cars today do not have adjusters to control camber the way they used to in the old days.

Spyder Garage

Default Update on front tire wear

So I took bike into the dealer on Wednesday.
    Visually they agreed that it looked like an alignment issue without me offering an opinion.
    They also agreed to just leave the front tires where they are and not rotating them.
    Just picked up bike from the dealer. Alignment was off 1/4" but is now laser aligned.
    Not sure if it's my imagination but I took the long way home and the bike seemed less twitchy when going straight.

Also had rear brakes done while it was there.
    They tried to talk me into replacing the rear tire (kenda) as it's nearly at the wear bars.
    They wanted $200.00 just for the tire (kenda). I told them "NO KENDA FOR ME".
    We're heading to Florida in November so I'll buy a car tire there, much less expensive than here in Canada.
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wrongway View Post
    So I took bike into the dealer on Wednesday.
    Visually they agreed that it looked like an alignment issue without me offering an opinion.
    They also agreed to just leave the front tires where they are and not rotating them.
    Just picked up bike from the dealer. Alignment was off 1/4" but is now laser aligned.
    Not sure if it's my imagination but I took the long way home and the bike seemed less twitchy when going straight.

Also had rear brakes done while it was there.
    They tried to talk me into replacing the rear tire (kenda) as it's nearly at the wear bars.
    They wanted $200.00 just for the tire (kenda). I told them "NO KENDA FOR ME".
    We're heading to Florida in November so I'll buy a car tire there, much less expensive than here in Canada.
    Not your imagination, if your bike was out of alignment and now it’s aligned it will feel less twitchy. Good call on waiting for a car tire.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622