Spyder Garage

Default Vibration at speed

Hi all,

i purchased a new 2015 RT LTD back in August and have put about a 1000 miles on at this point. I have really been enjoying it. One thing I have noticed is that when I am traveling in 6th gear at 69 to 73 mph and this can vary but I get what feels like the belt vibrating. If I back off the speed or increase it it will go away. It happens in 5th gear as well at a lower speed but usually around 4000 rpm's. Is this the Spyder vibration I have read about? Or something else?

Spyder Garage

It's exactly what mine does. I do feel better knowing, that it's a known flaw in these otherwise awesome machines. (thought mine was broke early on) Wish Can Am would get off their Can and fix this annoying problem. I know there are aftermarket fixes out there.

Pat

Spyder Garage

Default Try this first

Based on forum input I have found setting the belt tension at 180 lbs works best at smoothing out vibration, There was no directions with my Krikit but you put it on your index finger. With the bike sitting on the ground place the device on the top of the belt in the center between the sprockets. Then if you push down until you feel and here the tool click you will get a reading. Do this a couple of times until you get a feel for it. If you need to loosen the tension, always loosen the drive side first. A 1/2 turn looser really makes a difference.
    Good luck
    Dennis

https://www.ebay.com/i/181486108135?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Vibration Damper

We have a fix for that. It's called a Vibration Damper. It puts pressure at the exact location on top of the belt so that it cannot vibrate. You may not notice it at other speeds, but it is vibrating then also. Our unit is an improved-upon concept from the unit BRP came out with for the F3. For the RT you will need a kit #3.

http://dochumphreys.wixsite.com/road...amper-products
    Last edited by Roadster Renovations; 10-07-2017 at 10:15 AM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Post NO BAD VIBES

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    Based on forum input I have found setting the belt tension at 180 lbs works best at smoothing out vibration, There was no directions with my Krikit but you put it on your index finger. With the bike sitting on the ground place the device on the top of the belt in the center between the sprockets. Then if you push down until you feel and here the tool click you will get a reading. Do this a couple of times until you get a feel for it. If you need to loosen the tension, always loosen the drive side first. A 1/2 turn looser really makes a difference.
    Good luck
    Dennis

https://www.ebay.com/i/181486108135?chn=ps&dispItem=1
    .... I did this also and have No Vibes ......... Mike

Spyder Garage

For those of you trying to adjust your belt tension to remove vibration.
    1. The people that are having luck with this usually only ryde one up.
    2. They are usually slight of build.
    3. That adjustment will not stop the vibration. It will change the speed when it occurs.
    4. The Vibration Damper is the only product that permanently removes the vibration and applies the needed dampening on the top of the belt, where the vibration occurs, not the bottom.
    5. That adjustment will change over time.
    Here is one of the threads about this:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ION-DAMPER-KIT

Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 RTL. Do I use the RTBK kit along with the BRP Idler kit? Or do I need kit #3. Or, will either work. Also, I have a small bump on the top of my belt where the rock (prior to installing missing belt guard) came through the belt. The hole (bump) is in the middle of the belt and I have traveled over 2K miles since that little bugger bit me. Do you think that little bump would set up a vibration as it goes past the dampener. Or should I wait until I change the belt before installing a dampener
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Thanks all. I'm just glad it's a known issue with some resolutions already out there.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stewadi View Post
    Hi all,

i purchased a new 2015 RT LTD back in August and have put about a 1000 miles on at this point. I have really been enjoying it. One thing I have noticed is that when I am traveling in 6th gear at 69 to 73 mph and this can vary but I get what feels like the belt vibrating. If I back off the speed or increase it it will go away. It happens in 5th gear as well at a lower speed but usually around 4000 rpm's. Is this the Spyder vibration I have read about? Or something else?
    You need a Smooth Spyder belt tensioner that will fix it usually unless its a bad tire.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    I have a 2014 RTL. Do I use the RTBK kit along with the BRP Idler kit? Or do I need kit #3. Or, will either work. Also, I have a small bump on the top of my belt where the rock (prior to installing missing belt guard) came through the belt. The hole (bump) is in the middle of the belt and I have traveled over 2K miles since that little bugger bit me. Do you think that little bump would set up a vibration as it goes past the dampener. Or should I wait until I change the belt before installing a dampener
    It is possible that it might cause an issue. Depends on if it sticks up or not. You can go either way, but our kits seem to wear better than the BRP units, especially on long trips.

Spyder Garage

Update: I purchased the Doc Humphries kit and finally had a chance to get it installed on Saturday. It was a beautiful Saturday here in the NW which is rare this time of year. After installation, I took the Spyder out for a ride. I can say that the kit works!!! There is no more of the intense vibration between 65-75 mph that I was experiencing. Riding into work today it even feels like it smoothed it out in the lower rev's. Overall very happy with the product. I would definitely recommend!

Spyder Garage

Now that you've got the damper, also check to make sure that your belt is tensioned to the new lower setting of about 640N. The combination of the lower tension setting and Doc's damper has made my 15 rtl incredibly smooth!
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red