Spyder Garage

Default bluetooth for 2010 can-am spyder

is there a hard wire dongle for the 2010 RT SM5 to set up a bluetooth commo’s? I seen on youtube that someone used a sena 10 but there was not instruction or link to get the items needed to make it work.

Thanks

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chaz7771931 View Post
    is there a hard wire dongle for the 2010 RT SM5 to set up a bluetooth commo’s? I seen on youtube that someone used a sena 10 but there was not instruction or link to get the items needed to make it work.

Thanks
    Motorcycle Dave has them. A sponsor on this site. Go to the home page.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

thanks

Spyder Garage

After watching the install video I can’t use it because I have the CB on my bike and it is not supported.... So it is bluetooth from my helmet to the other stuff that I plan on using, phone, GPS, bike to bike, and radio/mp3. Thanks for the help.

Spyder Garage

After watching the install video I can’t use it because I have the CB on my bike and it is not supported.... So it is bluetooth from my helmet to the other stuff that I plan on using, phone, GPS, bike to bike, and radio/mp3. Thanks for the help.
    There is no cable or anything that can help you when you have CB. Anything plug and play won't work because the CB used up all the available connectors.

I assume you have wired helmets? You have to right now to use the CB.
    If you don't an don't plan to use the CB, then you can unplug the CB and then add the BT dongle cable. If you do plan to use the CB you want Bluetooth in the helmets AND wired to use the CB? Doesn't make much sense if so?

PM me if you want to talk live about all this and give me your phone number. I can explain a lot more over the phone.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

sent you a PM

Spyder Garage

Thumbs down Don't do it !!!!!!!!

I have the CB and hardwired helmets. I thought that the BRP Bluetooth would be an improvement. Damn was I wrong.

The first time I installed the Bluetooth, the harness was bad and only let the left channel through. Had to take it all apart again and change the harness. Strike one.

With the second harness installed I thought I was home free. Wrong again. Had to trade out the transmitter in the frunk. Strike two.

With the second transmitter I knew I was surely home free. Wrong one more time. I plugged my Passport 9500ix radar detector into the transmitter and put on a helmet to hear the radar detector. Nothing! Not only nothing, but the radar detector no longer had any audio output and required a trip back for repair. Strike three.

I took the Bluetooth and it's harness off and went back to the hardwired output that I started with. I was left with a hole in the frunk and a huge hole in my wallet. F**k me.
    I still have the POS transmitter and 2 POS receivers in their original boxes. This was a horrible, expensive lesson and I hope to save others the grief.

Spyder Garage

Those without the CB can use the Bluetooth systems just fine though, right? What brand and model(s) do you have?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

2010 RT SM5 with radio and CB. As I understand it as long as you do not have the CB you can add bluetooth. The CB uses the port that the bluetooth connects. Dave’s cycles has the parts needed to connect the bluetooth. Bob White has the install video on youtube on how to do it.

Spyder Garage

2010 RT SM5 with radio and CB. As I understand it as long as you do not have the CB you can add bluetooth. The CB uses the port that the bluetooth connects. Dave’s cycles has the parts needed to connect the bluetooth. Bob White has the install video on youtube on how to do it.
    That is correct. If you don't want to use the CB, you will unplug the CB at the radio and use the BT cable and SM-10 Dave sells.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

can I unplug the cb input and plug in the bluetooth dongel without causing any issues with the system. I assume that unpluging the cb disables the intercom system for the bike...

thanks for the help

Charles

Spyder Garage

can I unplug the cb input and plug in the bluetooth dongel without causing any issues with the system. I assume that unpluging the cb disables the intercom system for the bike...

thanks for the help

Charles
    Correct, when you unplug it, it is disabled and nothing else.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

will the cb mode on the display change to aux after it is unplug orwill I need to take it to the dealer to get it reprogramed?

Spyder Garage

The CB menu will no longer show at all. No other change.
    AUX will show when you have an MP3 player plugged into the port in your trunk.
    iPod will show if you have an Apple iPod or Apple phone plugged in the port in your trunk.
    That function has nothing to do with the CB being plugged in or not.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

thanks for the info. I will unplug the cb and and the bluetooth option since it seem to be a better option, again thanks for the info.

Spyder Garage

Default You may regret this

thanks for the info. I will unplug the cb and and the bluetooth option since it seem to be a better option, again thanks for the info.
    I was excited about the Bluetooth until I tried it. My story is above.

One other thing about the Bluetooth is it produces an "echo" effect between what is coming out of your speakers and what is being received by your headset several hundred milliseconds later. Don't mean to be a bummer, but I tried this for my wife and I and found that the wired headsets with the CB were a world better. Finally, the wired headsets are ready whenever we put on our helmets. No charging necessary.

If you still have your Sena products in a box and have the receipt, save yourself a lot of time, trouble, and money and return them. I wish I had.

Spyder Garage

You resolve the echo by turning down the speakers.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up You"re correct

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    You resolve the echo by turning down the speakers.

Bob
    You are correct Bob. I was trying to give the OP just another reason not to go from the CB for radio or for person to person communication. I now have the feeling that the OP doesn't have a corded headset and hasn't experienced one. It's really easy and really cheap to talk about switching from one to the other, however it's really expensive to actually unplug a thousand dollar CB and the corded headset and replace it with a Bluetooth transmitter and the Bluetooth headsets necessary to hear. I seriously doubt that this person could actually take an RT that far apart or actually remove the Frunk to drill the necessary hole and route the necessary harness to it. JMHO.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Burped View Post
    You are correct Bob. I was trying to give the OP just another reason not to go from the CB for radio or for person to person communication. I now have the feeling that the OP doesn't have a corded headset and hasn't experienced one. It's really easy and really cheap to talk about switching from one to the other, however it's really expensive to actually unplug a thousand dollar CB and the corded headset and replace it with a Bluetooth transmitter and the Bluetooth headsets necessary to hear. I seriously doubt that this person could actually take an RT that far apart or actually remove the Frunk to drill the necessary hole and route the necessary harness to it. JMHO.
    You have no idea for what I can and cannot do. I have had corded and non-corded commo’s. The issue is when I am riding in a group that has no CB, only bluetooth commo’s and being able to control all the items that I have GPS radio CB and rider to rider commo’s.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You have no idea for what I can and cannot do. I have had corded and non-corded commo’s. The issue is when I am riding in a group that has no CB, only bluetooth commo’s and being able to control all the items that I have GPS radio CB and rider to rider commo’s.
    Hey chaz, how handy are you with wiring? You just might be the perfect candidate for some experimentation I've been thinking about. If you're not familiar with it yet take a look at the Sena Freewire BT adapter. It plugs into the wired headset dash connector and BT connects to your BT helmet headset. https://www.sena.com/product/freewire/. But here's the catch. They only offer adapter cords for Honda and HD. Here's where your wiring skills and willingness to experiment come in. HD and Spyder both use 7 wire headset cords, but the pinouts are a different configuration but all the same functions. If you go here, http://www.edsets.com/edsets_docs/PopularPinouts.pdf you'll see the pinouts for HD and Victory. The Victory is the same as for Spyder. Buy a set of 7 pin DIN connectors and wire them to make an adapter from the Spyder pinout to the HD pinout. Plug the adapter into the Spyder and the HD cable into your custom adapter and voila!, you should be able to have BT from the entire Spyder system, including CB, and BT connect to your riding buddies.

I've considered doing this but I have no overwhelming need or desire to use BT. The one time I needed to communicate with another non-CB person, my nephew on our way to Homecoming last spring, I bought the Sena SR10 and connected it to a handheld CB I had. Tim used that with his Scala BT helmet headset. It worked good, but not super great, but was plenty good enough for that trip.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I will more then likely go with the bluetooth that dave sells and mount it in the trunk, I will loose the CB ability, I will cap the end so that If I change my mind I can reconnect. I will look at this over the winter and deside what I am going to do

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Hey chaz, how handy are you with wiring? You just might be the perfect candidate for some experimentation I've been thinking about. If you're not familiar with it yet take a look at the Sena Freewire BT adapter. It plugs into the wired headset dash connector and BT connects to your BT helmet headset. https://www.sena.com/product/freewire/. But here's the catch. They only offer adapter cords for Honda and HD. Here's where your wiring skills and willingness to experiment come in. HD and Spyder both use 7 wire headset cords, but the pinouts are a different configuration but all the same functions. If you go here, http://www.edsets.com/edsets_docs/PopularPinouts.pdf you'll see the pinouts for HD and Victory. The Victory is the same as for Spyder. Buy a set of 7 pin DIN connectors and wire them to make an adapter from the Spyder pinout to the HD pinout. Plug the adapter into the Spyder and the HD cable into your custom adapter and voila!, you should be able to have BT from the entire Spyder system, including CB, and BT connect to your riding buddies.

I've considered doing this but I have no overwhelming need or desire to use BT. The one time I needed to communicate with another non-CB person, my nephew on our way to Homecoming last spring, I bought the Sena SR10 and connected it to a handheld CB I had. Tim used that with his Scala BT helmet headset. It worked good, but not super great, but was plenty good enough for that trip.
    One problem I see is the PTT. Doesn't the freewire have it's own PTT button? Like the SR-10?
    If so you have to find a way to use the BRP CB PTT and the freewire PTT.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    One problem I see is the PTT. Doesn't the freewire have it's own PTT button? Like the SR-10?
    If so you have to find a way to use the BRP CB PTT and the freewire PTT.

Bob
    No. You still are operating the OEM BRP CB and use its PTT. The Freewire is simply a BT transmitter/receiver, which when paired with the BT helmet headset, replaces the hardwired cord and helmet headset. The SR10 needs its own PTT because it is connected to a handheld. But you don't need the PTT for the SR10 if the PTT on the radio is easily accessible, which usually is not the case. Other than what CB they are connected to, the Freewire and SR10 are functionally the same. Or, think of the Freewire being the same as the SM10 with two way communication added. Sena sells adapter cables for the SM10 that plug into the audio headset jack on HD and GW, which of course the Spyder does not have unless you have the CB installed.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)