Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder RT verses Goldwing.. We're confused

Prior to buying our Spyder in August I read as much as possible on this site to make sure we would be happy with the Spyder.
    I read a lot of posts by former Goldwing riders who said that they loved the Spyder and the smooth ride.
    After putting over 5,000 miles on our Spyder in 2 months, my wife and I think that the Spyder rides very rough.
    Don't get me wrong, the pro's far outweigh the cons.
    I've had the dealer (a reputable dealer) check out the rear suspension and everything checked out.
    I had them install the bajaron sway bar which made a vast difference in cornering.
    I have 74 psi in the rear air and the dash setting in the middle. The compressor is working and we hear the pst pst pst of the Spyder at appropriate times.
    We're not sure if what we're considering a rough ride is due to 3 wheels tracking and the resulting twitchy feeling caused by this.
    I don't hold onto the bars tightly and try to let the Spyder do it's thing without over-correcting the twitches.
    Any input is appreciated because we really do love our Spyder and will never go back to 2 wheels despite the fact that we both feel 2 wheels is much smoother.

thanks
    Greg
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

You will probably get a hundred people telling you to get a laser alignment. It will remove any twitchiness you are feeling. Try running the air suspension at a little lower setting. I have an RTL and run mine on the second lowest setting while riding solo, and on the middle setting when two up. I have not checked to see what the actual pressures are at these settings, but I think you are running at or near 75% of max pressure.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

The ride will probably never be as smooth just because you have three wheels on the ground following three different tracks instead of two wheels following one track. We gave our RT two seasons and 15k but went back to the wing for smoother ride and better handling. The spyder is a nice machine but wasn't nice enough to keep.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wrongway View Post
    We're not sure if what we're considering a rough ride is due to 3 wheels tracking and the resulting twitchy feeling caused by this.
    What tire pressures are you running ?

The Spyder does have a different "geometry" and it will always feel a little different.

I still find it unsettling when the pavement suddenly isn't level anymore.

Spyder Garage

I don't know if it was a 2 wheel wing you were considering or a Trike. I found my GW trike to be a rough rider also and the Spyder more smooth. Try running your shock pressure in the rear at around 45-50. I think you will like it better. I also found the Spyder to handle much better than the GW trike. Then engine on the GW was very smooth as compared to my Spyder but I have the VTwin 998.

what air pressure are you running in your rear tire? I ran 26-28 in the Kenda factory tire and it rode nice but didn't last long (10000 Mi). I have a car tire on now with 22000 mi running 24Lb and it rides very well.

The Spyder will never handle like a 2 wheel wing or be as smooth on the road, single track verses 3 track,but on 3 v 3 I have found the spyder to be much better then my wing.

All this defense of the Spyder is not to say you aren't experiencing what you are experiencing. Your ride is what it is. If it doesn't make you happy, life is too short to stick with something you don't like and it can't be made to suit you. Go find a GW Trike and ride it around,if you have to stay with 3 wheels. Regardless of what the outcome tho please stick around,we love hearing from you.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all of your input and suggestions.
    Front kenda tires at 21 psi
    rear kenda tire at 26 psi
    Laser allignment done last week

I was comparing our Spyder to our Goldwing 2 wheelers so obviously at lot of what we're experiencing is the 3 wheels tracking.

I'll try reducing to psi in the rear suspension and see what it does.

We're really not even considering giving up on the Spyder because we're finished with 2 wheelers and the pro list for the Spyder is very long for us.

Thanks again everyone.

Greg
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

It sounds like your doing everything right with the . Never owned a GW, but did have a Yamaha Venture, and the early style Kawasaki Voyager. I found both to be as plush as my RT's. I am on my third one of those.

Keep us posted.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

First, as others have said, get the front wheels laser aligned.

I think what you are experiencing is the result of basic physics of riding on two vs three. On the Goldwing in curves, if you are going through them at the appropriate speed the forces acting on your body tend to pull you downward into the seat in line with the centerline of the bike. This is because the bike leans. As a result you feel no force pushing your body sideways with respect to the bike. On three wheels since you have no lean the forces tend to push your body sideways with respect to the bike. Are you familiar with vectors, and how they add and subtract from each other? The forces acting on you as you ride can be described by vector algebra so if you are familiar with working with them think about, and draw out, the gravity and centripetal forces while riding. It'll help you understand the differences.

Riding a Spyder is much the same as a Goldwing, on a straight road. It is altogether different going around curves. On a straight road, swerves are the same as curves and corners.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's a little harder to miss the bumps and holes with 3 wheels (not complaining).

Spyder Garage

Wrongway, I'm 6'1", weigh 240lbs, my wife is 5' 8" and a little less than 140lbs, we run 50lbs in the rear shock and leave the dash setting in the middle. Stock shocks, but, we've changed the rear tire to a BF Goodrich with only 18 - 20lbs. Will be changing the fronts before next riding season. She falls asleep behind me on some rides. Has NEVER done that on any of our earlier 2 wheel bikes, which included some 650 and up cruisers and even a 400 Majesty scooter.

AFAIK, If I read between the lines, the folks that are running automotive tires all around are enjoying a much smoother ride once the Kenda's are gone.

I've never lasted long enough on a 'wing to compare smoothness, I grew up on motox and crotch rockets, TM's, RM's, Ninja's, Katana's and the like. The RTL is definitely much smoother than all it's predecessors. But at 60 I'm certain I'll be on three comfortably for the duration as well. As much as my wife thinks I try, I can't lay it down, can't forget to put the kickstand down, and never have to hold the bike up when stopped.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was comparing our Spyder to our Goldwing 2 wheelers so obviously at lot of what we're experiencing is the 3 wheels tracking.

I'll try reducing to psi in the rear suspension and see what it does.

We're really not even considering giving up on the Spyder because we're finished with 2 wheelers and the pro list for the Spyder is very long for us.

Thanks again everyone.

Greg
    Another suggestion:if you have a bajaron swaybar run your front tire pressure between 18-20 PSI.
    Mike
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Mike T, is that tire pressure for the Kenda's or any front tire with the BR bar?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Greg
    Greg,
    I suggest you have too much pressure in the front tires, The higher pressure balloons out the tires and that make the bike feel "twitchy".
    Try letting some air out of the tires. I think most people like about 17 or 18 psi in the front.
    Why not drop it down to 17 and then increase it in 1 lb increments until you find the air pressure you like.
    As always, my free advice comes with a double your money back guarantee.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I own both. A 2002 1800cc Goldwing bought new and a 2014 Spyder RTL bought used last May. I have upgraded the Spyders ride/suspension every way I can except for tires, and they are next. I have been riding Goldwings for over 35 years and can easily scrape the hard parts on the pavement in corners. I don't think I will ever be as comfortable on the Spyder as I am on the Goldwing.....but I am trying. I have put a little over 8,500 miles on the Spyder since mid May but I still have to think what to do ahead of time in corners. But, it is getting a little easier each time. I don't think the Spyder will ever be as smooth as the Goldwing and I know I can easily outride myself on the Wing vs Spyder. One of my riding friends for many years owns a Spyder. Previously he had a Honda trike and before that, a 2 wheeler. His opinion is that the Spyder is much more stable and easier to ride than the Honda trike. I have ridden with many friends on Honda trikes over the years and watch them struggle in corners. Bottom line....I think the Spyder is much advanced over the Honda trike but will not match a 2 wheeler with an experienced rider. If you want 3 wheels, you want a Spyder.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    Another suggestion:if you have a bajaron swaybar run your front tire pressure between 18-20 PSI.
    Mike
    That's interesting and I'll try dropping the psi to see what happens.

I know when I bought the Spyder I had a 5 hour ride to bring it home and it felt horrible on the highway (it also had the stock swaybar then).
    After checking here, I checked tire pressures and fronts were at 14 and rear was at 22. Based on what I read here I set the fronts to 21 psi and rear at 26 psi.
    Took it for a ride and wow, big difference. Less twitchy and cornered better.

I didn't realize that adding the bajaron sway bar would require lowering the front psi.

I'll give it a try and see how it is.
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Prior to buying our Spyder in August I read as much as possible on this site to make sure we would be happy with the Spyder.
    I read a lot of posts by former Goldwing riders who said that they loved the Spyder and the smooth ride.
    After putting over 5,000 miles on our Spyder in 2 months, my wife and I think that the Spyder rides very rough.
    thanks
    Greg
    As a former owner and rider of two Goldwings I agree with you. The Spyder vibrates and bounces much more than the Wing ever did. I think the main reason is much more unsprung weight. Two heavy front tires with wider tread tends to shake things up in the front. At times I feel like I am running off road. And a different riding technique is definitely required. Still working on that. Goldwing took about 5 minutes to get used to. Spyder required much, much more.

Spyder Garage

The one thing to remember about this board, it is used mainly with topic issues with the Spyders and do not represent the whole owner co-olition. I have a 2014 RT added lights, got ride of the tires that BRP but on with auto grade and found a better and smoother ride.
    I have never has the dreaded DSS alarms and have 22k on the bike and only 28K on the 2013 car.
    For reference I am 4'10" have had both hips replaced over 9 times, right shoulder 4 and left 1. Now recovering from back surgery. But still rode to the Red Rocks Spyder event.
    Don'r let the negatives get ya down. In all respect my DR's say I should be in a wheelchair now and show them up when I ride to the appointments.
    I rode 2 wheels for 25 years, when to a trike and now to the Spyder and have never looked back. I never felt comfortable on the trike. Hard to steer and almost flip it around corners many times.
    Big question you really need to ask is what type of riding will I be doing. Local store or touring around the country. What style can I sit on for 200+ miles a tank of gas.
    Thats the big question. The one I had to ponder over myself being in the condition I am in.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I will add that the time I felt the most vulnerable on a ride was on I-15 in Utah going around a long sweeping curve at 80 mph, the speed limit, on my 2005 Goldwing. I realized that if ANYTHING happened, like a rock on the road, or a rabbit running across, or whatever, and if I were to hit it I would be a goner. One day when I stopped at a truck stop in Mtn Home, ID with my 2013 RT I got to thinking I was feeling a whole lot safer on the Spyder at 80 mph than I ever did on the Goldwing at 70 mph. For me, the feeling of safety I have riding the Spyder has reinstilled the joy of riding. In my book safety is paramount. Comfort is just a close second.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I can totally admit that I had similar experience until I did the unthinkable.

I got rid of the awful OEM tires on the front and replaced them with Federal Formosa AZ01.

I can say with 110% conviction that it took about 1/2 mile of ryding to discover a whole new Byke. There was no more Road Rut Bounce (RRB), even on the worst pavement in my area, where previously I had to slow down because the Byke would bounce from one Rut to the other. The only change that I did from the previous day was the tires.

I should have done that 10,000 miles before. The cost was a little over $100 plus $35 for a tire shop to mount the tires on the wheels and an hour of my time.

Joe
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    we run 50lbs in the rear shock and leave the dash setting in the middle. Stock shocks, .
    OK, I'm confused by some of these comments.

IF....you have the "automatic" rear shock with the setting switch on the dash, doesn't the SYSTEM determine the pressure itself based on the setting that you have set ??

Then what does this "we run XX lbs" mean ??

Spyder Garage

we have close to 13000 miles on our 15 rts. our 2 up weight is close to
    380 #. we have federals on the front at 20# and an altimax rear at 22#.
    i usually have the rear shock set at the softest setting. have only bottomed
    out once. remember, your wife is sitting almost over the rear wheel. she is
    not going to get the same ride benefits you do. you are in the middle and are
    at the center fulcrum of the vehicle.

a laser alignment will help the tracking, but if you run a lot of county and
    township roads like we do, the tracking is not going to be the greatest.
    they arent the flattest or smoothest.
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Could it just be, that you have gone from a 6 cylinder motor to a twin? Also might I suggest that the ryde will be smoother if you take the Spyder off the trailer!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Could it just be, that you have gone from a 6 cylinder motor to a twin? Also might I suggest that the ryde will be smoother if you take the Spyder off the trailer!
    No darn wonder it's so good on gas. Next week it's comin off that trailer and we'll see what happens
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I will add that the time I felt the most vulnerable on a ride was on I-15 in Utah going around a long sweeping curve at 80 mph, the speed limit, on my 2005 Goldwing. I realized that if ANYTHING happened, like a rock on the road, or a rabbit running across, or whatever, and if I were to hit it I would be a goner.
    And I feel just the reverse. Tight, high speed turns are a breeze on the Wing and definitely more exciting on the Spyder. I have even hit a mattress during a 65 MPH turn on the freeway curve on my Wing. It left the ground, briefly, but remained stable as a rock. Not sure what that would have been like on a Spyder. Rocks and rabbits can usually be avoided on a two wheeler. Not so much on a three.

I don't feel near as comfortable at high speed on the Spyder as I did on my Wing (or sport bike or sport tourer) so I usually don't ride near as fast as I would on two wheels. That's OK though 'cause it's the wifey's ride and she doesn't have near the experience I do. I am content to putt along at whatever she is comfortable with.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Keep on keeping on !

Quote Originally Posted by wd8ajj View Post
    The one thing to remember about this board, it is used mainly with topic issues with the Spyders and do not represent the whole owner co-olition. I have a 2014 RT added lights, got ride of the tires that BRP but on with auto grade and found a better and smoother ride.
    I have never has the dreaded DSS alarms and have 22k on the bike and only 28K on the 2013 car.
    For reference I am 4'10" have had both hips replaced over 9 times, right shoulder 4 and left 1. Now recovering from back surgery. But still rode to the Red Rocks Spyder event.
    Don'r let the negatives get ya down. In all respect my DR's say I should be in a wheelchair now and show them up when I ride to the appointments.
    I rode 2 wheels for 25 years, when to a trike and now to the Spyder and have never looked back. I never felt comfortable on the trike. Hard to steer and almost flip it around corners many times.
    Big question you really need to ask is what type of riding will I be doing. Local store or touring around the country. What style can I sit on for 200+ miles a tank of gas.
    Thats the big question. The one I had to ponder over myself being in the condition I am in.
    I am so proud of you that you have been through all that you have and didn't let it keep you down!