Spyder Garage

Default Need help with rear brake install-2012 RSS-SE5

Just finished installing rear brake pads. Had to remove the parking brake cover which houses a coil spring to remove the 2 bolts upon which the pads slide. Most of it is back together and I have the rear brakes working. Park brake another story- how do I get the coiled up spring to line up or orient correctly and get the hook on the end of the spring to align properly in the notch on its bracket with the proper tension so I can get the park brake to work. My problem is the coil spring not PB adjustment. Having a lot of trouble getting this black PB cover and spring back in its correct position with the proper tension. This PB cover comes off with one nut/fastener removal. Concerned about ruining this coil spring as not sure how to get it all connected. When the PB cover was removed, the coil lost its tension when the hook end came out of its notch. Hope you understand this and someone has all ready experienced and solved my current mess up. Thank you.

Spyder Garage

Default As I remember....

trun the splined shaft clockwise till it will go no further. Hook the spring up to the caliper and the pulley but not to the shaft yet. turn the pulley clock wise to get tension and then install it on the shaft loosely install the nut. Reset the adjuster on the cable and hook it up to the bracket. you should have some play with spring tension till the pulley contact the brake. Not sure how much on the SE models. Test the park brake and adjust the cable as needed it not enough you may have to move the pulley over a knotch or two.... tighten the nut and the cable nuts ....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Park Brake

Nice description! Back together. It worked. Thank you!!!