Thread: Engine Misses

Spyder Garage

Default Engine Misses

I have been having a problem lately that I have felt like the power is not there like it used to be.
    In the last couple of weeks, when I first give it gas it tries to stall out.
    At a light I can see the RPM swinging as low as 1200 or so.
    It does not stall in second or above.
    I'm thinking it might be the air filter, but I changed it around 6 months ago.
    Since then I have put on over 6,000 miles.
    I replaced the plugs about 2 months ago.
    I need to mention that I'm at high altitude around 6,000'
    I haven't started to troubleshoot it yet. Not sure where to start
    Stefan

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bad gas??????????
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

I thought that but I went through at least 3 tanks since it started to misfire

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    I have been having a problem lately that I have felt like the power is not there like it used to be. In the last couple of weeks, when I first give it gas it tries to stall out. At a light I can see the RPM swinging as low as 1200 or so. It does not stall in second or above. I'm thinking it might be the air filter, but I changed it around 6 months ago. Since then I have put on over 6,000 miles. I replaced the plugs about 2 months ago. I need to mention that I'm at high altitude around 6,000' Stefan
    How are you at 6000' in south Florida? Are you touring the country and varying altitude along the way? Does it only happen at altitude? When did it start and what was different? Does it go away at sea level? If it never actually stalls and runs fine in higher gears, why worry about it?

Lots of Spyders at altitude with no problem. I live at 6700' and routinely run the passes at over 9000' without a hiccup. Of course, I've got the 1330 ACE, not the 998.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    How are you at 6000' in south Florida? Are you touring the country and varying altitude along the way? Does it only happen at altitude? When did it start and what was different? Does it go away at sea level? If it never actually stalls and runs fine in higher gears, why worry about it?

Lots of Spyders at altitude with no problem. I live at 6700' and routinely run the passes at over 9000' without a hiccup. Of course, I've got the 1330 ACE, not the 998.
    Since the Hurricane the water table rose very high.
    Seriously we retired this year and are traveling around the country in an RV. So far we have driven 6,000 miles in the RV and 6-8,000 on the bike.
    Right now we're in Albuquerque, NM for the Balloon Fiesta.
    I can't answer about sea level since we have not been down to sea level in a while. We are working our way from here to South Texas.
    I'm hoping to have it fixed before than.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since the Hurricane the water table rose very high. Seriously we retired this year and are traveling around the country in an RV. So far we have driven 6,000 miles in the RV and 6-8,000 on the bike. Right now we're in Albuquerque, NM for the Balloon Fiesta. I can't answer about sea level since we have not been down to sea level in a while. We are working our way from here to South Texas. I'm hoping to have it fixed before than.
    Sounds like a nice trip. It also sounds like you're maybe unnecessarily worried about the hesitation off the line. I guess what I'm suggesting is that unless you're having that same hesitation once the bike starts picking up speed, don't worry about it for now. If it's still doing it at lower altitudes in So. Texas, then you could seek out a reputable Can-Am dealer. There are several tech-savvy folks on here from Texas, as well as several good dealers from what I understand.

Texas is also one of the 7 states that BRP is focusing its marketing efforts on, so you stand a better chance of getting quick attention at one of those dealers.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is your rt a twin? Sounds like it - if you replaced the spark plugs and not the leads, then I'll bet that's the most likely cause. Second choice is vacuum hoses - a cheap fix - there are a few threads here re vacuum hose fix. Hope this helps - please let us know.
    Last edited by loisk; 10-05-2017 at 06:11 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    Is your rt a twin? Sounds like it - if you replaced the spark plugs and not the leads, then I'll bet that's the most likely cause. Second choice is vacuum hoses - a cheap fix - there are a few threads here re vacuum hose fix. Hope this helps - please let us know.
    Lois, wouldn't bad spark plug leads causing missing and loss of power at all speeds? Just asking.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes I agree re at all speeds - but maybe more noticeable when pulling off the line? Maybe I don't spend enough time easing gently off the line LOL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sometimes "bad fuel" will leave behind water or other "deposits".
    A healthy dose of a multi-purpose fuel system cleaner would be my first move.

Then....have you considered the "fuel vapor canister" problem ? That can cause rough idle and unstable neutral throttle power.

Spyder Garage

The problem is when I start off it feels like it wants to die. It hasn't yet. I was thinking air filter but that would happen more at higher speeds. The areas that I have been in makes everything dirty. I was thinking wires also but dismissed it for the same reason I dismissed the air filter. I have a JT air filter. I removed the fuel canister 2 years ago

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was thinking air filter but that would happen more at higher speeds.
    Maybe not. I think you should at least check it.

IF.....it is a "high flow" racing filter and you have been riding in dusty conditions......you may need a throat cleaning......and consider going back to a better filter.

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder problem

I had new plugs and wires installed in spring. About 3 weeks ago the bike started running rough and did not have a stable idle, did not want to take off, once under way it would suddenly gain power and run great until I stopped and tried to get going again. Took it to the dealer and they checked it out and discovered the plug wires were faulty. Replaced the wires and plugs, under BRP parts warranty, and it is running great. In fact even better than when they installed the first set. I am planning on having them change the vacuum hoses in spring, since the Spyder will be going into winter hibernation in a few weeks. I will have it serviced in spring.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

I'm going to order the wires from Bajaron. I tried to do it before but he couldn't get them to me. I move around alot.
    When I change the wires I'll also change the filter.
    I replaced the 2 1/8" vacuum hoses in March are there any other vacuum hoses

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dpetrick View Post
    I had new plugs and wires installed in spring. About 3 weeks ago the bike started running rough and did not have a stable idle, did not want to take off, once under way it would suddenly gain power and run great until I stopped and tried to get going again. Took it to the dealer and they checked it out and discovered the plug wires were faulty. Replaced the wires and plugs, under BRP parts warranty, and it is running great. In fact even better than when they installed the first set. I am planning on having them change the vacuum hoses in spring, since the Spyder will be going into winter hibernation in a few weeks. I will have it serviced in spring.
    The BRP ignition wires are not good quality. Add to this the high engine compartment temperatures and vibration and they just don't last very long. If you move them around at all (like replacing the spark plugs) you run very high risk of damaging them to where your engine will not run well.

BRP uses a common high resistance carbon core conductor which is not only an inefficient way to carry the high voltage electrical charge, but subject to fatigue and early failure. Not to mention this can be hard on the coils.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Don't forget the purge valve. This could be a problem. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

I replaced the plugs and wires. the bike seems to be back to normal. I will ride today in traffic and see if it's fixed