Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Had my first hater today

Was driving down the road and a guy on a crotch rocket coming the other way was shaking his thumb down at me. So, I flip him the bird. Then he gives me the "huh? What was that for?" Shoulder shrug, like he was surprised that I gave him the bird. I dunno...maybe thumbs down means thumbs up in the crotch rocket world..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderSkeets View Post
    Was driving down the road and a guy on a crotch rocket coming the other way was shaking his thumb down at me. So, I flip him the bird. Then he gives me the "huh? What was that for?" Shoulder shrug, like he was surprised that I gave him the bird. I dunno...maybe thumbs down means thumbs up in the crotch rocket world..
    Thumbs up means something entirely different in Australia, I understand. Who knows what thumb down means to that guy.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't forget usually the person who retaliate is the one who get blame and punished.....
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    Don't forget usually the person who retaliate is the one who get blame and punished.....
    What kind of "rule" is that? The guys gives me a thumbs down and I'm supposed to just take it on the chin?

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up So ?

Why do you give a damn about what a "guy on a crotch rocket" thinks ? Do you need his validation for some reason ? You're on a much nicer machine and much more comfortable than he will ever be. Enjoy your ride and don't ever let anyone take away your joy.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Burped View Post
    Why do you give a damn about what a "guy on a crotch rocket" thinks ? Do you need his validation for some reason ? You're on a much nicer machine and much more comfortable than he will ever be. Enjoy your ride and don't ever let anyone take away your joy.
    You are 100* right. I am not going to lose sleep over it. What did strike me odd was his reaction to me flipping him the bird.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you ignore them: you take away their silly voices...
    Respond with an even bigger smile and wave: it'll drive them NuTz!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What kind of "rule" is that? The guys gives me a thumbs down and I'm supposed to just take it on the chin?
    Well, yes actually. So he might have dissed you ... what does that matter?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

The last and only time I was given a thumbs down was from some guy on a rat bike. Seriously, it was totally dirty/rusty and looked like 1920's vintage. He was also wearing old leather aviator headgear with goggles.

I just couldn't stop laughing. Made my day actually.
    Just another crappy day in Paradise....Aloha!

Spyder Garage

Sheesh...can't ya take a little ribbing? I doubt he was a true hater, but rather just givin ya some flack. Certainly not worth flippin him the bird over. Take that tone with the wrong dude and you'll get a case of lead poisoning.
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I don't get the waves like I used to when I was on my Victory. Oh well.
    2013 RT Limited.
    BajaRon Sway Bar.
    Refined Cycle's BPE2 brake pedal extension.
    Pedal Box
    2013 RT Limited , Refined Cycle BPE2 White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If you ignore them: you take away their silly voices... Respond with an even bigger smile and wave: it'll drive them NuTz!
    Yes, I agree. Deflates their ego real fast.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Thumbs up means something entirely different in Australia, I understand. Who knows what thumb down means to that guy.
    To paraphrase Animal Farm -

Thimb up Good
    Thumb down Bad

It's all in the attitude though - thumb up can mean something worse... depends whether it is thumb only or the whole arm. I am too old to bother with it...

Isnt it the same in the States?
    Last edited by loisk; 10-05-2017 at 06:27 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    To paraphrase Animal Farm - Thimb up Good Thumb down Bad It's all in the attitude though - can mean something worse...Isnt it the same in the States?
    When I was visiting Australia years ago while in the Navy, I was told thumbs up could mean 'up yours' so use that cautiously. Were they just pulling my leg?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    .... I was told thumbs up could mean 'up yours' so use that cautiously. Were they just pulling my leg?
    Nope, it could mean that; but like loisk said, it's all in the attitude....... & the rest of the arm, & maybe even the impudent wink, or lack there-of as well!

And when it's a thumb held horizontally & moved aggressively along with the rest of the arm & combined with an angry scowl, it not only means "you can go F... yourself!" as in the raised & aggressive thumb/arm, it extends that to mean "you can go F... yourself AND your b..... horse while you're at it too!"

When it comes to Impudent Fingers, it's all in the attitude of the delivery!

Ps: my Grandson just told me that when the raised or horizontal thumb is twisted/rotated around it's longitudinal axis, it adds "... and rotate on it!" to the implication. Excuse me now while I go discuss 'exactly who you should or shouldn't hang out with' & maybe some 'language aquisition tips' with my Grandson!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-05-2017 at 06:53 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Yup, As in just totally ignore him. Life is too short for anything else,
    Bruce

2014 RTS-SE6
    Tri-Axis Handlebars
    Sena BT Dongle
    Sirius Radio
    Dash bar
    Show Chrome Trunk Rack

"You know that a politician is lying if his lips are moving"

Spyder Garage

Ha Ha you got picked on and made frun of. WGAS what that guy was on about. I wave at everyone and especially those that are slower and pull over. Have fun regardless what others think.
    2014 Spyder RS-S SE5
    Mods:

ST Limited Wheels
    RT Handlebars
    Ultimate Seats ST Midrider
    Lidlox Helmet Lock
    Show Chrome Brake Pedal Extension
    Excelvan X-Grip Cell Phone Holder w/USB Charger
    Much more to come......
    Ryder:
    6'-1" - 205lbs - 32"IS - 34"Reach

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yep!

Remember, no one can make you angry or irritate you. You do or do not allow yourself to be irritated. You control yourself. Don't allow anyone to usurp your right to determine how you will react to life!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Ya just got to ignore them and realize crotch rocket pilots are not the sharpest crayon in the box.
    American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of GOD.

The Older I get the Better I Was.

Spyder Garage

I would have waved back. That ticks off the real haters. It's like saying "have a nice day" to someone when you really don't mean it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Like the old shrink said" what the Hell do you care what the other people think". Can't understand why this would bother you so much as to post this unless you are overly sensitive or looking for a haven of comfort for your discomfort. Some new folks are embarrassed and think themselves less manly for riding with three wheels instead of two and get angry with this. Get over it and enjoy your own ride.

​Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Yep!

Remember, no one can make you angry or irritate you. You do or do not allow yourself to be irritated. You control yourself. Don't allow anyone to usurp your right to determine how you will react to life!

Those are very wise words and true by the way. Your wisdom at that high of altitude (Idaho) overwhelms me.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

He thumbed you and you gave him the bird. Now you felt better, right. IMHO you stooped lower than he did. The "finger" is the universal "FU" sign. The thumbs down is just a disapproval sign. Now which is worse? Guess what he's going to tell his riding buddies about that Spyder rider. Which means all Spyder riders. Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by Dudley; 10-06-2017 at 08:07 AM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

Those are very wise words and true by the way. Your wisdom at that high of altitude (Idaho) overwhelms me.

Jack
    I must be wise because your wisdom flows downhill!!

Oro Valley elevation.JPG

Parma elevation.JPG

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If you ignore them: you take away their silly voices...
    Respond with an even bigger smile and wave: it'll drive them NuTz!
    Yeah--I had the same experience driving my work Dodge conversion Van with a 383 4 Barrel--some guy in a small pick up became upset with me & kept giving me the finger on the freeway--I just wave & smiled & acted like I knew him. The move I wave & smiled the more upset he became with his finger out the window--now it was time to see who would get in the fast lane--383 4 Barrel against the 4 cyl mini pick up --the outcome really upset him
    I love a story with a happy ending :-) But I'll never know what started the issue..
    Darrell
    Last edited by Wildrice; 10-05-2017 at 10:01 PM.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black