Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Cool / Cold Weather Riding Gear

It's that time of year again folks. It is getting cooler but the weather is beautiful and perfect for riding. With the right gear you can be as snug as a bug in a rug! (Do people still say that?)

I carry the full line of Firstgear products including heated gear. But the best bang for the buck (and good for multiple uses beyond riding) has got to be the Firstgear Thermo, 1-piece cold weather suit. For most people this suit is good down into the 30's with nothing more than street clothes underneath. With some layering most can ride comfortably to 30 degrees. And actually, for many people, these are conservative numbers. Wind Proof and Water Proof.

I have sold hundreds of these over the years and they remain a very popular product. You can read great reviews on this product here.https://www.revzilla.com/product/firstgear-thermo-1-piece-suit

Because, in most cases, all you need to wear underneath to stay warm are street clothes. The Thermo works very well for commuters. Saves dawning, removing and storing a lot of gear just to get to work and back each day.

I sell these at a great price (Which I cannot list here). Just PM me or email me at fyredad@hotmail.com for more information, or to order.

Description: Designed to get in and go, the Firstgear Thermo One-Piece Suit is the one and done solution for commuters to tourers and everyone in between. The 100% waterproof and breathable Hypertex lining keeps you bone dry while the one-piece design and 120-gram polyester insulation maximize heat retention. Don't let cold weather end your riding season and hop into a Thermo One-Piece suit for that chilly commute.
    Features:

• 100% waterproof, 210 denier Hypertex
    • 120-gram polyester insulation
    • Full storm flap closures on zippers, pockets and cuffs
    • Cargo storage pockets
    • Elasticized ankle closures and adjustable waist
    • 1-year limited warranty

Sizing for fit over street clothing. If you want to wear full armored gear underneath adjust accordingly. I have extensive records on customer measurements and fit to help you get the size you need.

Chest - Measured across the nipples
    Waist - Measured at the belly button
    Sleeve - Measured from the top of the shoulder to the wrist (needs to be about 2" longer than your actual measurement to cover in the riding position)
    Hip - Measured at the widest point on your hips
    In-Seam - Measured from crotch to ankle (needs to be at least 1" longer than actual measurement to cover in the riding position. 2" inches is ideal)

This is not a form fitting piece of clothing. You will want a bit of room. The ThermoSuit will work for just about any body shape. Critical measurements are chest and waist. The rest usually takes care of itself.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 10-05-2017 at 10:24 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This looks like a great solution. Wish I'd known about it earlier.

First Gear equipment is top-notch in my opinion.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Yes. Here is my shameless plug for Firstgear. Good Stuff. I have been wearing my winter gear for a couple weeks now. I have the two piece stuff--and the winter liners are in. They don't seem to make a one piece for us short guys. 26" inseam these days.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    This looks like a great solution. Wish I'd known about it earlier.

First Gear equipment is top-notch in my opinion.
    I post this notice every year but I'm a little late this year. It's been crazy busy!

I know there are a lot of new people out there and getting the right gear at the right price can be a daunting project. What you DON'T want is a lot of gear that you don't use hanging in the closet because it just didn't fill the bill. This is one product that gets used a lot by most customers for riding and also for snow blowing, ice fishing, snowmobiling, and anything where you need easy wind-proof, water-proof warmth without having to bulk up.

Spyder Garage

I can assure most everyone here that they do work. I have a 10 mile commute to work and even at 14 degrees, I'm nice and warm!
    Ride Safe All
    2014 RT Limited (Charlotte) in Cognac, Kuryakyn Grips,Tri-Axis Handle Bars, Rivco Armrests, a "finless" BT Dongle, TricLed Fender, Saddlebag, 3rd & 4th brake Lights, Custom Dynamics "Magic Strobes Brake Flasher", BajaRon Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters, Lighted Bumpskid, Rivco Highway Pegs, Rivco Cup Holders and Baker Built Air Wings. 215/60R-15 General Altimax Rt rear tire. 155/60R15 Kumho Solus front tires.

Spyder Garage

It works Great and Getting in may take a minute or two BUT taking it off is very quick so your back in street cloths quick! I wear sweet pants and shirt sweat shirt under and when I come home It comes of quick so I can put on a jacket and go out and clean the machine! Legs have long zippers SO you Do Not need to take off Boots!
    I use a bella cava under the helmet and the Warm and Safe 12 Volt heated glove liners and 30-40 degrees is Nothing!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Default Great Product, Great Price, and Great Service

Wow! after reading many reviews, and talking with Ron (mostly eMail), I ordered this suit from Ron yesterday, it it arrived this morning!

Product seems to be same high quality as other First Gear stuff I own. It is very easy/fast to get on and off. A zipper in front from neck to crouch, and each leg from bottom to just below my hip. Nice soft lining in inside of tall collar.

Anxious to test on an upcoming week long camping/riding trip to GA/NC/TN mountains.

TomG

Spyder Garage

I'm curious about how it would pack down when you dont need it on a trip? Very interested!
    Now
    2021 Sea2Sky
    Former
    2015 F3-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Morturf View Post
    I'm curious about how it would pack down when you dont need it on a trip? Very interested!
    The suit will pack down to a reasonable size. But I know some use the clothing vacuum bags which work really well on road trips. Not only do you get a lot more storage room (which more than makes up for the small space the portable vacuum motor takes up), but it helps organize your stuff as well. Of course these will also work with any household vacuum as well.

Spyder Garage

Thank you to those who have purchased a Thermo Cold Weather suit. Hopefully, everyone is staying warm this season.

Some have asked about what you have to wear under the suit. Of course temperature and time in the saddle make a difference. But most just wear normal street cloths for trips up to about 1 hour. This is all that is normally required to stay warm in 30-40 degree weather. For colder weather a sweater or sweat shirt is usually plenty. The suit itself is very warm and you don't usually need much more than that.

Spyder Garage

I will also give this suit 2 thumbs up. I bought one a few years ago to wear on my Venture and Vstrom. At 30 degrees I wore t-shirt and jeans and was warm as could be. I leave the house at about 4 am for a mostly highway speed 30 mile commute. Even down to about 0 degrees, the only addition was my heated vest under the suit and I would sweat if I turned the vest above low. Great suit!

Spyder Garage

Now I'm definitely NOT bagging this FirstGear stuff, at least not per se! The thing that gets me most about these one-piece suits is that they don't seem to make ANYTHING to fit ME!! (And of course, it IS all about me! )

If I buy something to fit my arms/shoulders/chest then they are usually soo bloody big everywhere else that they balloon soo badly it's impossible to ride at any speed cos of the flapping, and besides, having the crutch/zipper down around my knees isn't at all helpful or a good look; but if I buy to fit my waist/hips/legs then usually the arms are too short by a long shot & the torso length would have my crutch up somewhere around where my belly button actually is - IF I could get the bloody thing on!?! Double

And as I get older my chest seems to be slipping/extending down into my waist a little.... sure, I've put on a little weight as I've aged, but surely I'm not the only one around who now has a waist measurement that's closer to my chest measurement than that of one thigh?? And how many of us now have waists that measure larger than our hips?! I'd guess that I'm not alone there too...

Why can't these one-piece cover-all type suits be made to fit REAL people instead of some mythical 'average person'?? I guess I'll just hafta stick to my 'Mix'n'Match' Jackets & over-pants.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-13-2017 at 07:11 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

These are great suits. I've had one for15 yrs my wife wants 1 also. May get her one for her b-day in December. Just don't over dress under them or you will get hot fast and have to start sheading cloths. Got my son and daughter in law one a couple yrs ago. They love um

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Now I'm definitely NOT bagging this FirstGear stuff, at least not per se! The thing that gets me most about these one-piece suits is that they don't seem to make ANYTHING to fit ME!! (And of course, it IS all about me! )

If I buy something to fit my arms/shoulders/chest then they are usually soo bloody big everywhere else that they balloon soo badly it's impossible to ride at any speed cos of the flapping, and besides, having the crutch/zipper down around my knees isn't at all helpful or a good look; but if I buy to fit my waist/hips/legs then usually the arms are too short by a long shot & the torso length would have my crutch up somewhere around where my belly button actually is - IF I could get the bloody thing on!?! Double

And as I get older my chest seems to be slipping/extending down into my waist a little.... sure, I've put on a little weight as I've aged, but surely I'm not the only one around who now has a waist measurement that's closer to my chest measurement than that of one thigh?? And how many of us now have waists that measure larger than our hips?! I'd guess that I'm not alone there too...

Why can't these one-piece cover-all type suits be made to fit REAL people instead of some mythical 'average person'?? I guess I'll just hafta stick to my 'Mix'n'Match' Jackets & over-pants.
    While fit and design of motorcycle clothing (or any other clothing for that matter) is a bit above my pay grade. I would have to say that this Firstgear Thermo suit has the be the most forgiving, and universal fitting one-piece suit of pretty much anything out there. Still, I understand that it will not fit everyone. But it will fit ALMOST everyone.

If you send your height/weight measurements to me at fyredad@hotmail.com I can help with fit. Or confirm your Non-Fitment concerns.

Spyder Garage

Default Everything Ron says it is...

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    It's that time of year again folks. It is getting cooler but the weather is beautiful and perfect for riding. With the right gear you can be as snug as a bug in a rug! (Do people still say that?)

I carry the full line of Firstgear products including heated gear. But the best bang for the buck (and good for multiple uses beyond riding) has got to be the Firstgear Thermo, 1-piece cold weather suit. For most people this suit is good down into the 30's with nothing more than street clothes underneath. With some layering most can ride comfortably to 30 degrees. And actually, for many people, these are conservative numbers. Wind Proof and Water Proof.

I have sold hundreds of these over the years and they remain a very popular product. You can read great reviews on this product here.https://www.revzilla.com/product/firstgear-thermo-1-piece-suit

Because, in most cases, all you need to wear underneath to stay warm are street clothes. The Thermo works very well for commuters. Saves dawning, removing and storing a lot of gear just to get to work and back each day.

I sell these at a great price (Which I cannot list here). Just PM me or email me at fyredad@hotmail.com for more information, or to order.

Description: Designed to get in and go, the Firstgear Thermo One-Piece Suit is the one and done solution for commuters to tourers and everyone in between. The 100% waterproof and breathable Hypertex lining keeps you bone dry while the one-piece design and 120-gram polyester insulation maximize heat retention. Don't let cold weather end your riding season and hop into a Thermo One-Piece suit for that chilly commute.
    Features:

• 100% waterproof, 210 denier Hypertex
    • 120-gram polyester insulation
    • Full storm flap closures on zippers, pockets and cuffs
    • Cargo storage pockets
    • Elasticized ankle closures and adjustable waist
    • 1-year limited warranty

Sizing for fit over street clothing. If you want to wear full armored gear underneath adjust accordingly. I have extensive records on customer measurements and fit to help you get the size you need.

Chest - Measured across the nipples
    Waist - Measured at the belly button
    Sleeve - Measured from the top of the shoulder to the wrist (needs to be about 2" longer than your actual measurement to cover in the riding position)
    Hip - Measured at the widest point on your hips
    In-Seam - Measured from crotch to ankle (needs to be at least 1" longer than actual measurement to cover in the riding position. 2" inches is ideal)

This is not a form fitting piece of clothing. You will want a bit of room. The ThermoSuit will work for just about any body shape. Critical measurements are chest and waist. The rest usually takes care of itself.
    I'll be ordering my "new" one this winter. First one I got 2010 or 11...and it has traveled every miles I have ridden...why get a new one, you ask? Cause my grandson has a need for my "old" one. many miles of wear left in it. Yep this a great buy...and BajaRon a great guy to deal with.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    I'll be ordering my "new" one this winter. First one I got 2010 or 11...and it has traveled every miles I have ridden...why get a new one, you ask? Cause my grandson has a need for my "old" one. many miles of wear left in it. Yep this a great buy...and BajaRon a great guy to deal with.
    This product is one of the biggest customer pleasers of any product I carry. I rarely get a return customer because they last so long. But I always get feedback of high praise. And people are always telling me what other past times they love the suit for.

Shoveling or Blowing Snow
    Ice Fishing
    Snowmobiling
    And, of course, riding in cold weather.

Thanks Everybody!

Have a great Winter!

Thanksgiving.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post

(snip)

Peter -- Sounds like you're a candidate for an Aerostich Roadcrafter. I got a two-piece suit, and I use the jacket a lot more than the pants. They're pricey, but you get a custom fit.

Mine's about 18 years old now, and kinda tight in places. Must've shrunk in the last wash. But it's still in pretty good condition.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    Peter -- Sounds like you're a candidate for an Aerostich Roadcrafter. I got a two-piece suit, and I use the jacket a lot more than the pants. They're pricey, but you get a custom fit.

Mine's about 18 years old now, and kinda tight in places. Must've shrunk in the last wash. But it's still in pretty good condition.
    Options are numerous. The beauty of the Thermo is that it fits most people. I'm sure Firstgear could make suits that fit more people. But the cost would skyrocket because it's always volume that drives price down.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Options are numerous. The beauty of the Thermo is that it fits most people. I'm sure Firstgear could make suits that fit more people. But the cost would skyrocket because it's always volume that drives price down.
    The ugly of the Thermo is the color choices. I’d love it if they would offer a hi-vis version.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CelticCross View Post
    The ugly of the Thermo is the color choices. I’d love it if they would offer a hi-vis version.
    A HiVis version would be an interesting safety option. They used to offer this suit in other color options several years ago. But the more versions you offer, the higher the price has to be. So, to keep the price down they went with the most popular color option and dropped the rest. Though there has never been a HiVis version.

This Thermo-Suit is designed to be a great 'Bang for your Buck' product. Bells and Whistles (like color options, etc.) will come with the more expensive cold weather alternatives.

This suit does a great job of keeping the rider warm and dry. Plus, it is versatile and lasts a long time. All at a very good price when compared to anything else.

Have a great Christmas Season everyone!

Spyder Garage

Default Heated Jacket Liner for Cold Weather

I just bought a 2017 can am spyder rt se6, and traded in my kawasaki vulcan 900 classic. I had my vulcan setup to power my Hotwired Jacket Liner, as well as my Hotwired heated gloves. I have been using them for about 4 years, and had the can am dealer here in Enfield, CT lay in a power cord to heat my gear. I have ridden down into the upper teens and stayed nice and warm. I only have to wear a tee shirt with a light shirt under the jacket liner. I am also a little ol man in my upper 70's, which is part of the reason I traded my vulcan in for the spyder. Needless to say, I don't stop ridding just because winter is coming. Y'all have a great winter riding, on into the warmer weather.
    StevenQ
    2017 RT SE6 , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by StevenQ View Post
    I just bought a 2017 can am spyder rt se6, and traded in my kawasaki vulcan 900 classic. I had my vulcan setup to power my Hotwired Jacket Liner, as well as my Hotwired heated gloves. I have been using them for about 4 years, and had the can am dealer here in Enfield, CT lay in a power cord to heat my gear. I have ridden down into the upper teens and stayed nice and warm. I only have to wear a tee shirt with a light shirt under the jacket liner. I am also a little ol man in my upper 70's, which is part of the reason I traded my vulcan in for the spyder. Needless to say, I don't stop ridding just because winter is coming. Y'all have a great winter riding, on into the warmer weather.
    StevenQ
    I as well am at a Medicare age (65) �� and have always used the Gerbing jacket liner and gloves on my Harleys with street clothes, along with chaps and polypro longjohns at/below 32°. Had a bad accident in February so got an SE5 and use the same gear on that. I ride year-round here in Baltimore but this will be my first Spyder winter. The gear kept me warm on 19° days at 65 mph going down I-95. That's a -4° windchill. I expect this winter to be no different.
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Waiting

I am anxiously awaiting for mine to get here. Review to follow.
    Ranman42

Spyder Garage

Default First gear

I have the First Gear thermo suit. Very well designed and very warm. I also plan on using it for snow removal hopefully I will use it more on the Spyder. Great product

2016 RT-S Pearl White

BRP Driver Backrest
    Lamonster Spyderdock, (2) Spydercuffs
    Magic Mirror w/Doc Humphreys tethers
    (2) Rokform phone mounts
    FOBO
    SpyderPops Bumpskid,missing belt guard,Rear strobe LEDs
    Lamonster LED headlights & foglights
    Spyder Pockets
    LED front fender kit -running & turn signals
    Custom Back off mudflap
    Vinyl nameplate & 1330 triple decals by New Image Signs
    Custom RLS exhaust
    Hogtunes speakers 5 1/4 front and back
    Memphis Powersports Amp
    Her name is "Purl"
    2016 RT-S , white

Spyder Garage

Default Before Christmas?

If you are planning on getting one of these Thermo Suits for Christmas it would be good to order no later than the 19th to be sure. I might not be able to get it to you in time if you order after that date.