Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Upgrade tho TricLED Spotlight installation

Yes, I’m bragging about my farkling but I know a few of you appreciate new ideas. Plus, who else is gonna listen? Also, this is my first time posting pics from an iPad so if they look funny mark it down to my learning curve.

I installed the TricLED fender mounted spotlights a while ago but I’ve been unhappy with the installation. There were a couple of issues.

First, the installation is from the battery to a dimmer switch, but I would sometimes leave the lights on when I left the bike. So, I replaced the dimmer with a lighted on/off rocker switch. Now I could see that they were left on but I still sometimes walked away and left them on. And without the dimmer, they were so bright that I had to aim them down a lot, which defeated the purpose of the lights at night.

So, I reinstalled the dimmer so I could aim the lights forward again. I put a horn relay in the circuit fed from the dashboard lights so I could kill the circuit every time I turned to bike off. (A horn relay only pulls about 3ma)

Finally, I installed a dashboard LED AFTER the dimmer so that I could tell at a glance how bright I’d turned the lights up.

Now I can aim the lights forward, dim them during the day to improve my visibility, turn them WAY down at night so that people will see me better but I won’t blind them, turn them up if there’s no one in front of me on the road, and now I can’t leave them on after I shut off the bike.

So, this was just a few hours of work for the once or twice in the life of the bike I’ll need this flexibility, but as you all know farkling doesn’t really have to be useful.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Aargh - this pics didn’t post. I’ll put them out there once I figure out how.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Default You'll get it....

The pictures that is...sound like a bit of a trial and error venture to get them where you want them. Ah but that is the fun of the DIY ventures but most satisfying when you get there..congrats... will wait for the pic's
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Whenever I'm posted pics on my local hard drive, I've always gone to

- The "Picture" icon
    - Selected "From Computer"
    - Browsed for the pic
    - Clicked "Upload file"
    - Clicked "OK"

Now when I try this, I don't have the "Upload file" or "OK" buttons anywhere. Has this changed?
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    Yes, I’m bragging about my farkling but I know a few of you appreciate new ideas. Plus, who else is gonna listen? Also, this is my first time posting pics from an iPad so if they look funny mark it down to my learning curve.

I installed the TricLED fender mounted spotlights a while ago but I’ve been unhappy with the installation. There were a couple of issues.

First, the installation is from the battery to a dimmer switch, but I would sometimes leave the lights on when I left the bike. So, I replaced the dimmer with a lighted on/off rocker switch. Now I could see that they were left on but I still sometimes walked away and left them on. And without the dimmer, they were so bright that I had to aim them down a lot, which defeated the purpose of the lights at night.

So, I reinstalled the dimmer so I could aim the lights forward again. I put a horn relay in the circuit fed from the dashboard lights so I could kill the circuit every time I turned to bike off. (A horn relay only pulls about 3ma)

Finally, I installed a dashboard LED AFTER the dimmer so that I could tell at a glance how bright I’d turned the lights up.

Now I can aim the lights forward, dim them during the day to improve my visibility, turn them WAY down at night so that people will see me better but I won’t blind them, turn them up if there’s no one in front of me on the road, and now I can’t leave them on after I shut off the bike.

So, this was just a few hours of work for the once or twice in the life of the bike I’ll need this flexibility, but as you all know farkling doesn’t really have to be useful.

I also installed these lights.
    Not happy about the single screw to hold them.
    They will eventually begin to slide downward.
    I also would forget to turn them off so I put a small
    sign in the rear trunk that reads, "Turn off driving lights"
    I always go there when I get off the bike to get my carry bag
    and to turn off the Sena SM10. Boy, they are bright and fill in
    the voids that I get with the Tricled headlights.

Spyder Garage

Whenever I'm posted pics on my local hard drive, I've always gone to

- The "Picture" icon
    - Selected "From Computer"
    - Browsed for the pic
    - Clicked "Upload file"
    - Clicked "OK"

Now when I try this, I don't have the "Upload file" or "OK" buttons anywhere. Has this changed?
    OverHillandDale,
    Didn't you say you were trying to do this from your IPAD? I suspect that upload file feature is a Adobe Flash feature, you might have to enable flash in your browser or use a different flash enabled browser on the IPAD to get the upload choice to show.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

I wonder if I could dim the Rimco lights also. Very bright at night. 3000CP each. Turm them on and the headlight do away

Spyder Garage

Got the pictures in - there is an issue uploading pictures using Chrome. Switched to IE and it worked. Couldn't get it to work in Chrome using iPad or PC.

Pic 1 is lights turned on in front of the bike. Pic to is the dashboard light that dims with the spotlights. Pic 2 is the dimmer (left side, just in front of glovebox).
    IMG_2606 (1).jpgIMG_2610 (1).jpgIMG_2608 (1).JPG
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

And to the smart-alecks who PMed me, YES, my garage is sideways and the floor is vertical.
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

I suspect you have to enable Flash for all websites, open your Chrome browser and type chrome://settings/content in the address bar, then press enter. Then on the Content Settings page, scroll down to Flash and select the button next to 'Allow sites to run Flash'
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And to the smart-alecks who PMed me, YES, my garage is sideways and the floor is vertical.
    Those are some sticky tires you got there!

Was it much trouble to access / remove the panel where you mounted the dimmer switch?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Those are some sticky tires you got there!

Was it much trouble to access / remove the panel where you mounted the dimmer switch?
    Yes, the panel that the switch is installed in is AWFUL to remove. I did it once to install USB ports between the rocker switches and it is a first class PITA. Fortunately it isn't necessary to install the dimmer switch.

If you remove the side panel that runs besides the black panel, you can drill and install the switch with the panel in place. The dimmer that comes with the lights is a bit bulky, I bought this one from Amazon for less that $10. Before you drill, make sure you've got room underneath for the dimmer and the wiring.

https://www.amazon.com/Volt-Dimmer-L...s=12vdc+dimmer

Send me a picture when you're done.
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Also, the dimmer switch I showed comes in two version - long shaft and short shaft. You'll want the long shaft version.
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

If you’d rather not wire in the switch (which requires drilling into perfectly good plastic), here’s another possibility I considered.

https://www.amazon.com/BZONE-12-24V-...er+with+remote
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The dimmer that comes with the lights is a bit bulky, I bought this one from Amazon for less that $10. Before you drill, make sure you've got room underneath for the dimmer and the wiring.

https://www.amazon.com/Volt-Dimmer-L...s=12vdc+dimmer
    I think this is the same dimmer switch, sold by TricLED https://www.tricledusa.com/_p/prd1/4...-dimmer-switch for $15. I think I'm going to try it with my driving lights. Not sure where I'm going to mount it though, as I hate putting holes in body panels.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Thanks, I'm going to install the lights on my f3L, one question. Where did you get the LED light for the dash??

Spyder Garage
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

I know this thread is going on 3 years old but does anyone have any experiences running these TricLED spotlights with a dimmer?
    How have they held up and any problems using amazon dimmer?
    Thanks!
    "BLUE STAR – She shines so brightly"
    2018 SPYDER RT LTD SE6 BLUE/CHROME
    2018 RTL , Large Brake Pedal (cut 1/3 off). Oxford Blue/Chrome