Thread: Blind Passenger

Spyder Garage

Default Blind Passenger

How refreshing to find a forum addressing the needs of the differently enabled. I could not find any threads dealing with the blind or visually impaired so this might be a new issue for you. But I am hopeful that one of you can offer some words of wisdom for my wife. She is blind and has a few physical limitations that would not permit her to ride on the back of a two-wheeled motorcycle. The stability of the third wheel on the Spyder will allow me to help her mount and dismount.

Scince she cannot see the road, she cannot see when we are about to turn. Any advice for the two of us regarding how to help her feel comfortable while riding would be appreciated?

CC

Spyder Garage

Communication--either verbal or non-verbal is recommended. Get a set of Sena (SMH-10--the recommended set up by most), and you have communication from driver to passenger. Let her know what is coming up. I recommend gentle turns at first. Planting both feet on the pegs or floorboards, grabbing the hand holds, or driver, and leaning slightly into the turn (to relieve the "g" forces), should all help to make the experience a good one.

and to your partner for wanting to ride.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I would have thought that verbal communication through headsets would be the best option. You can then give her a running commentary on what is approaching so that she can at least be prepared for the road ahead in advance👍

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default your concern

I agree this can be an issue ...... Personally I would say ( or yell ) turning right or left ( depending ) and also say/yell BRAKING ... just they will be prepared for any sudden stops .... and if nailing the throttle say Fast / or Faster ......... Good luck , and tell the Mrs .... I like her spirit ........... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I agree this can be an issue ...... Personally I would say ( or yell ) turning right or left ( depending ) and also say/yell BRAKING ... just they will be prepared for any sudden stops .... and if nailing the throttle say Fast / or Faster ......... Good luck , and tell the Mrs .... I like her spirit ........... Mike
    Verbal communication about everything is best. Those that are blind are also into non-verbal communication--so I mentioned that also. We would not ride without our trusty communicators.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CelticCross View Post
    How refreshing to find a forum addressing the needs of the differently enabled. I could not find any threads dealing with the blind or visually impaired so this might be a new issue for you. But I am hopeful that one of you can offer some words of wisdom for my wife. She is blind and has a few physical limitations that would not permit her to ride on the back of a two-wheeled motorcycle. The stability of the third wheel on the Spyder will allow me to help her mount and dismount.

Scince she cannot see the road, she cannot see when we are about to turn. Any advice for the two of us regarding how to help her feel comfortable while riding would be appreciated?

CC
    I have my niece ride behind me. Because she is a small teenager, I have her ride hanging onto my shoulders instead of around my waist. That my help your wife indicate when you may turn left or right.
    2014 ST SE5 LT , Black Current

Spyder Garage

The posters have offered valuable suggestions. My experience with blind riders accompanying me on a tandem bicycle (and on fast rides too) leads me to believe that if you communicate through headsets you will find your wife will adapt to riding behind you on a Spyder very well. She now adapts very to everything in life that other visually impaired folks do using those senses they develop to compensate for the visual impairment. I suggest you consider a full face or modular helmet, if she can tolerate it, to protect her face in the event you have an emergency braking incident. You wouldn't want her to do a face plant on the back of your helmet.
    Last edited by JayBros; 10-12-2017 at 07:09 PM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all who have responded. I never expected to receive so many responses so quickly.
    The use of the intercom system will cover a side of the communication that I hadn’t initially considered - that being where my wife could communicate to me.

Will the Sena intercoms pair with the Zuma 660 GPS that came with my Spyder? And if so, will the chosen audio source play through the Sena or through the Spyder’s speakers? Is it possible to hear GPS directions through the Sena with the Spyder’s audio turned off?

CC

Spyder Garage

If you come to Spyderfest or talk to Len at Pitbull, look up Rick And Donna Wideman. His wife is blind and rides all the time. You would not know it by watching her ride on the back. They are close friends of mine and they also have a Yamaha V Star that she has been known to ride on the back of. She does admit the Spyder doesn't lean therefore she feels safer.

Spyder Garage

Every reference that I have seen for Spyderfest appears to be for 2017. Where can I find info about the next fest?

What is Pitbull?

Copilot - we would love to meet them. If Donna is willing, my wife Ann would like to phone her. Ann is active advocating for those who are blind or visually impaired so would love to talk to her about riding and about being blind.

CC

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SPYDERFEST 2018

Every reference that I have seen for Spyderfest appears to be for 2017. Where can I find info about the next fest?

What is Pitbull?

Copilot - we would love to meet them. If Donna is willing, my wife Ann would like to phone her. Ann is active advocating for those who are blind or visually impaired so would love to talk to her about riding and about being blind.

CC
    That is still in the early stage of planning .... They usually don't start giving info until they know for sure what's what ... It is usually the last week in April .... So there is still some time for you to plan ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default All of the above...

Great advise and suggestions. Main one being taking some slow close rydes and getting used to each others signals. Being useless myself with left and right a tap on the corresponding knee would confirm your intention. You both will do fine and will enjoy ryding your spyder....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Wife’s first ride

Finally had an opportunity to get my wife on the Spyder today - her first ride and my first time with a passenger. We went for a short trip, ~12 miles, with speed limits between 25 and 50 and numerous turns. She enjoyed herself! Biggest hassle was with communications. Given that both of us were wearing FF helmets with ear plugs, we had a hard time hearing each other. Sena headsets should arrive on Saturday. I installed the comm package yesterday.

Spyder Garage

Congrats !!! You're on the way!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Finally had an opportunity to get my wife on the Spyder today - her first ride and my first time with a passenger. We went for a short trip, ~12 miles, with speed limits between 25 and 50 and numerous turns. She enjoyed herself! Biggest hassle was with communications. Given that both of us were wearing FF helmets with ear plugs, we had a hard time hearing each other. Sena headsets should arrive on Saturday. I installed the comm package yesterday.
    I am late to this thread and all the other responders had great ideas for you. to your wife for her adventuring.

I just love how this community steps up to help people enjoy Spydering!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Arm Rests

Didn't notice this mentioned in other posts, but you might consider adding passenger arm rest. Helps a great deal in providing lateral support for the passenger. Although my wife isn't sight impaired, she falls asleep frequently so certainly doesn't see what is ahead, but the arm rests keep her pretty securely seated.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You've all ready received a group of good suggestions. Happy to hear your first ride went so well, congrats. I would suggest continuing to ride short trips and off of major roadways until you have built up additional experience. Dale

Spyder Garage

My wife is much more comfortable riding now. In fact, she is helping identify places to ride. Thanks to all you provided suggestions and words of encouragement.

CC