Spyder Garage

Default Non-BRP CB Option using Can-am Bluetooth

I have a 2015 RT Limited with the Can-am Bluetooth Dongle and Sena 20S helmet mounted headsets.

Has anyone installed a non-BRP CB on their Spyder that works in conjunction with the Can-am Bluetooth Dongle and Sena 20S headsets? I'm not interested in the BRP CB for both cost and apparent reliability reasons. I've surfed the web and I can't find anything.

Anyone done anything like this?

Regards,
    Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default YES

Hi Dave here
    Yes there are hundreds of them and many are right here on this forum
    I always recommend folks to go to their favorite large truck stop such as Flying "J"
    or Loves, they have a bunch of them in stock, look for a hand held small 5 watt
    unit like a Midland, then CALL ME (209) 887-3283 and I will supply you with a
    SENA SR10 and the proper cable to plug into the CB unit what that does is convert the
    incoming and outgoing audio in to BlueTooth so it can be listened to in your helmet
    you use your mic to talk to the people you want to contact, this unit comes with a push to talk button.... in general the above works better than the factory unit from BRP and is 1/4th
    the cost. You will find several forum sponsors that can supply you with a mounting device for it.
    Give me a call some time I will be happy to help you out.
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by robhowen View Post
    I have a 2015 RT Limited with the Can-am Bluetooth Dongle and Sena 20S helmet mounted headsets.

Has anyone installed a non-BRP CB on their Spyder that works in conjunction with the Can-am Bluetooth Dongle and Sena 20S headsets? I'm not interested in the BRP CB for both cost and apparent reliability reasons. I've surfed the web and I can't find anything.

Regards,
    Rob
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 10-04-2017 at 01:24 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default I already have the BRP SM10

Dave, thank you. I'll give you a call. FYI - I already have the BRP version of the SM10. I'd prefer to use this if at all possible.

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default A BT Setup for CB

Regards,
    Rob
    Rob ... while this is not on a Spyder, I am certain it will work as Bluetooth is Bluetooth .... and here is why I think it will work (this is the configuration for my husbands Indian Roadmaster):

• JMCB-2003 -- handle bar mounted CB
    • JMDM-IPBT-JCB03 -- a Bluetooth interface module for the above CB (provides a wired connection, 6-pin plug; must be mounted water tight ... just like the dongle, in the frunk would be a good place).
    • Standard J&M headset with a lower cord that matches the JMDM interface plug.
    • The Indian has BT integrated into it's audio system and has a "slot" for "headset" preprogrammed.
    • So, we simply paired the CB as a headset (actually paired the JMDM module as a headset) and all the audio flows through a wired connection. The reason for doing this was the sound quality from even the best Bluetooth headsets leaves something to be desired and husband already has compromised hearing (so needs the best quality he can get ... wired provides that).
    • The only "downside" is the loss of digital volume control to the headset; it is handled by the volume wheel on the top of the J&M CB and is easy to use.

This solution is not cheap ... but the J&M units are high quality and husbands has worked without issue for nearly two years. Of course, you would have to come up with a mount for the CB, mount point for the BT interface, mount for the antenna, and a power source (don't recall if BRP provides any switched connectors for accessory use; Indian does).

Certainly something to consider -- and I would be willing to bet J&M would have some advice on how to mount the CB and the Antenna.

All the best ..... Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you Ann

Thank you for your insight, Ann.
    Rob

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Dave, thank you. I'll give you a call. FYI - I already have the BRP version of the SM10. I'd prefer to use this if at all possible.

Rob
    The SR10 that Dave mentioned is the BT adapter that plugs into a handheld CB. It enables both send and receive from your helmet headset via the CB. It comes with its own PTT. Your SM10 won't do the same thing. My nephew used one when we went to Homecoming last spring. The main thing we noticed was the handheld didn't send a signal as far as my BRP CB would. We also found he could not connect the handheld to the bike power supply or he would get so much static he couldn't hear. The good news was batteries in the CB lasted for almost three days!

Send me a PM. I just might sell the SR10 we used going to Homecoming. I bought it for him to use since he uses a Scala BT headset.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How did I miss this thread earlier? Great info. Thanks
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Help

Hi dave will this work with a sena20

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MOSESS View Post
    Hi dave will this work with a sena20
    The SR10 will connect to a 20, or most any other BT headset.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)