Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT front tires at 12k miles

Pulling the bike into the garage I noticed the treads of the front tires are wearing unevenly. The dust on the garage floor attached to the high points and not to the low points. This is my wife's bike we bought used at 11k miles and it had previously been laser aligned at about 9k.

I know we have some very knowledgeable tires folks on this forum; what do you think is going on with the LF tire particularly? (They're both set at 20psi)

Cognac LF tire.jpgCognac RF tire.jpg
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Looks like cupping to me. My OEM tires are doing the same. Can't wait to trade them for real tires.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

That does look like abnormal wear, & of a type not uncommon on the OE Spec Kendas....

Generally, on most vehicles, cupping like that is most likely going to be due to worn or damaged/bent suspension components, sometimes worn steering components, & very occasionally tire balance or construction problems; but on Spyders running OE Spec Kendas it has often been the result of poorly balanced tires (often associated with dodgy tire construction) or incorrect inflation pressures for the tire/load..... Still, I'd suggest you take the Spyder in to a GOOD wheel alignment/tire balancing place & get the tires inspected & balance checked very carefully before you start worrying about it being worn suspension components...

But honestly, IMHO your BEST solution is to fit some 'real' tires that behave & wear like proper passenger car tires do & should & then run them at pressures appropriate for the lighter load... Do that, & I sincerly doubt you'll regret it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-03-2017 at 06:07 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default Tires

Well you are not alone. I have a 2014 RT too and it was pointed out to me at Red Rock by TricLed that the front tires are at the wear bars. They are cupping to and have always been run at around 18 psi. They are OEM and have never heard anything good about them. Thinking of getting some car type tires put on if I can find them. Tires are cheap insurance, learned the hard way when I blew a rear tire on a Honda 750 I had back in '78 and went down hard.
    Take care and stay SAFE.
    American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of GOD.

The Older I get the Better I Was.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    That does look like abnormal wear, & of a type not uncommon on the OE Spec Kendas....

Generally, on most vehicles, cupping like that is most likely going to be due to worn or damaged/bent suspension components, sometimes worn steering components, & very occasionally tire balance or construction problems; but on Spyders running OE Spec Kendas it has often been the result of poorly balanced tires (often associated with dodgy tire construction) or incorrect inflation pressures for the tire/load..... Still, I'd suggest you take the Spyder in to a GOOD wheel alignment/tire balancing place & get the tires inspected & balance checked very carefully before you start worrying about it being worn suspension components...

But honestly, IMHO your BEST solution is to fit some 'real' tires that behave & wear like proper passenger car tires do & should & then run them at pressures appropriate for the lighter load... Do that, & I sincerely doubt you'll regret it.
    Yes, if it was my car tires I would suspect balance / alignment issues because of the cupping / scrubbing pattern, but being a Spyder I'm not so sure. I've heard of people getting 20k miles on the Kenda but I would imagine that's only if balance / alignment issues are caught in time. Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gator37 View Post
    Well you are not alone. I have a 2014 RT too and it was pointed out to me at Red Rock by TricLed that the front tires are at the wear bars. They are cupping to and have always been run at around 18 psi. They are OEM and have never heard anything good about them. Thinking of getting some car type tires put on if I can find them. Tires are cheap insurance, learned the hard way when I blew a rear tire on a Honda 750 I had back in '78 and went down hard.
    Take care and stay SAFE.
    The nice thing about these is being front wheels, they are a simple matter to remove and have them balance checked if that's the likely cause. The rear, on the other hand ....!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I also have a 2014RTS-SE6 Cognac, and I changed the front tires last year @ 12,807 miles( no reason). I am now running Continental Contiprocontact's ( size: 165/60 R15) @ 19PSI.

I have 8,993 miles on the Continental Contiprocontact's, I like them. I have not had any problems with these tires.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CUPPING ETC.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Yes, if it was my car tires I would suspect balance / alignment issues because of the cupping / scrubbing pattern, but being a Spyder I'm not so sure. I've heard of people getting 20k miles on the Kenda but I would imagine that's only if balance / alignment issues are caught in time. Thanks.
    Generally speaking ....I HATE KENDA - CRAPENDA TIRES .... however I know tires and for the front they will be minimally satisfactory .... they will ONlY work if they are " perfect tires " perfectly balanced and aligned ..... I highly recommend the Lazer alignment ... However it can't cure Crappy tires ...nothing can ..... over to you Peter .......... Mike

Spyder Garage

My cupping was probably due to poor alignment. Had the bike laser aligned last week at Red Rock and it was out of alignment from the factory. The 2014s were the last of the softer rubber compound, I believe. From what I have learned, this is a very common issue with the soft Kenda tires. I visited a friend today who has a 2015 with Kendas and he has no noticeable cupping and double the miles I have on mine. Read the threads from Peter and Blueknight and you will learn a lot.
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

You inspired me to take action. Ordered Federal Formoza AOZ1 tires tonight. Now anxious to get them.
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    You inspired me to take action. Ordered Federal Formoza AOZ1 tires tonight. Now anxious to get them.
    Where did you find them?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Hi Ann. I found them at Superbuytires.com. Holding my breath to see if they are shipped or out of stock like everyone else. (Very nice meeting you and Joe at RR)
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Default BALANCE FOR REAR TIRE

The nice thing about these is being front wheels, they are a simple matter to remove and have them balance checked if that's the likely cause. The rear, on the other hand ....!
    Pete, my last three rear tires ...I did not balance and had NO issues ..... I think the rear suspension arm supports and contains the rear wheel to an extent that it minimizes any imbalance as long as it's small .... most Car tires are not likely to need balancing for the rear wheel ( only the rear ) .............. Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Generally speaking ....I HATE KENDA - CRAPENDA TIRES .......
    However it can't cure Crappy tires ...nothing can ..... over to you Peter .......... Mike
    My turn?

I agree they are pretty much mediocre in all respects Mike, but you do know that there IS one sure fire use where those Kenda-crapenda's work brilliantly every time!??

Just take them off your Spyder & the rims, put them in the middle of the road, & add about 1/2 gall of accellerant & a lit match, then they WILL attract a lot of attention if there's anyone around!!

And nothing sorts 'em out anywhere near as properly EVERY time!!

Not much else they are really all that good for tho!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-04-2017 at 02:44 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default CRAPENDA 'S

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    My turn?

I agree they are pretty much mediocre in all respects Mike, but you do know that there IS one sure fire use where those Kenda-crapenda's work brilliantly every time!??

Just take them off your Spyder & the rims, put them in the middle of the road, & add about 1/2 gall of accellerant & a lit match, then they WILL attract a lot of attention if there's anyone around!!

And nothing sorts 'em out anywhere near as properly EVERY time!!

Not much else they are really all that good for tho!
    ..... I've been using CAR tires since 09 and was never sorry about the Switch ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Tire wear

My OEM Kenda's lasted 23,000 miles. I though that wasn't bad, I could live with that. Then I had my '14 RT-S laser aligned.
    The second set lasted less than 6000. I thought they screwed up the alignment and took it back. But it tested spot on.
    I don't use Kenda tires any longer. The Federal Formoza tires are getting lots of good talk here, my friend Buckeye Bleau put a set on his '13 RT-L and loves them.
    Be my next set.
    Chuck

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Anyone know where Formoza tires are made? I'm guessing Formosa (Taiwan) from the name.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For our tire experts; when spec'ing Federal Formoza tires, are you recommending the all-season AZ01 or the high-performance FD2? Maybe the AZ01 is being replaced by the FD2, which seems to have better specs for our application, particularly re: hydroplaning. I don't know if the load rating or tire construction is the same between them. Can anyone with knowledge of this tire please comment? Thanks.

1. Variable sub-grooves in the shoulder blocks further reduces impact noise for improved noise comfort.
    2. 3-in-1 innovative groove design reduces vibration and pulsation frequency disturbing even to the most discerning driver.
    3. Wider Solid Central Rib increases straight line stability and on-center feel.
    4. Wide circumferential grooves and tread pattern promotes rapid water evacuation and prevents hydro-planing for confident and safe driving on wet/damp surfaces.
    5. Computer-designed tread elements & finite element modeling for a stable footprint and give even and longer tread wear.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 10-04-2017 at 01:36 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default FORMOSA TIRES

For our tire experts; when spec'ing Federal Formoza tires, are you recommending the all-season AZ01 or the high-performance FD2? Maybe the AZ01 is being replaced by the FD2, which seems to have better specs for our application, particularly re: hydroplaning. I don't know if the load rating or tire construction is the same between them. Can anyone with knowledge of this tire please comment? Thanks.

1. Variable sub-grooves in the shoulder blocks further reduces impact noise for improved noise comfort.
    2. 3-in-1 innovative groove design reduces vibration and pulsation frequency disturbing even to the most discerning driver.
    3. Wider Solid Central Rib increases straight line stability and on-center feel.
    4. Wide circumferential grooves and tread pattern promotes rapid water evacuation and prevents hydro-planing for confident and safe driving on wet/damp surfaces.
    5. Computer-designed tread elements & finite element modeling for a stable footprint and give even and longer tread wear.
    IMHO .... I liked the AZ01 much better that the " EVO " model ..... The FD2 sounds like a good re-placement ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

IMHO .... I liked the AZ01 much better that the " EVO " model ..... The FD2 sounds like a good re-placement ..... Mike
    And, it seems to be more readily available than the AZ01. EVOs are still plentiful.

How do you think it compares to the Kumho for the front tire? Which Kumho are you recommending?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Hi Ann. I found them at Superbuytires.com. Holding my breath to see if they are shipped or out of stock like everyone else. (Very nice meeting you and Joe at RR)
    Dad-gum-it.... I spoke to the good people at Superbuytires today and these are indeed out of stock. They do have the Federal EVO tires but not the Formozas. The nice lady I spoke with said these tires sell out fast because they are on the lower end of price. Their "season" is from January through April when they get containers full of tires. When they are sold out, we just have to wait for the next season.
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I just turned 20,000 miles on my 2014 RTL with the original front tires, and still look great.
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White
    2010 Can Am Spyder RT - Full Moon

Spyder Garage

..... I've been using CAR tires since 09 and was never sorry about the Switch ..... Mike

I haven't been running them on my Spyder quite as long here, (largely cos I didn't buy my RT til late 2013! ) but like sooo many others, I haven't looked back since changing over to car tires....

Funnily enough, I don't think too many people do look back after making the change, (especially those who thought the Kendas were OK - until they discovered otherwise once they made the change! ) and of the few that made the change but then may have felt they could've done the wrong thing by doing so, most of them were still running the same pressures as those needed by the Kendas, which is waaaay too high for a tire capable of safely & reliably carrying a full sized car at those pressures!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-04-2017 at 04:10 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dad-gum-it.... I spoke to the good people at Superbuytires today and these are indeed out of stock. They do have the Federal EVO tires but not the Formozas. The nice lady I spoke with said these tires sell out fast because they are on the lower end of price. Their "season" is from January through April when they get containers full of tires. When they are sold out, we just have to wait for the next season.
    Did you ask about the FD2 version of the Formoza?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Chuck 54 View Post
    My OEM Kenda's lasted 23,000 miles. I though that wasn't bad, I could live with that. Then I had my '14 RT-S laser aligned.
    The second set lasted less than 6000. I thought they screwed up the alignment and took it back. Chuck
    Makes it sound like the laser alignment shortened the life of your tires. You don't mean that do you? What else do you attribute the relatively short life of the second set of Kendas to, compared with the first set?
    2014 RTL Platinum