Spyder Garage

Default Retreiving/Clearing Error codes

I have a 2010 RSS SE5 with Brake Failure scrolling across my gauge screen. 7,100 miles

What I have checked/done:
    1. Checked brake fluid, both reservoirs are full,floats are not hung up.
    2. Brake pads look fine,Rears are a little low so I am going to change them when they get here.
    3. have attempted to retreive codes using a method another member detailed as
    the following
    "To get codes: Press and hold MODE button
    Stop on TOTAL HOURS
    Push the FLASH HIGH BEAM rapidly 5 times."
    I have used the mode button on handle bar and on cluster and I do not get any response other than the normal park brake on and Brake Failure.
    4. I checked the LPS sensor and it appears OK.
    I would like to know the procedure to Retreive the actual Code and then be able to Reset the codes once I have replaced the rear pads. I live in the Daytona area and would like to rectify this issue before Biktoberfest on the 18th of this month which I have planned to be from work and planned to enjoy it on the Spyder this year.

Thank You in advance for all the help you can offer,
    Rick

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BRAKE FLUID

I'll address this part .... Looking at the reservoir, it's very hard to tell Exactly where the fluid is in relation to the line ... Sometimes as little as one teaspoon, can trigger the code ..... If you add one tablespoon that may be all it takes ... and it won't overfill it...... A little extra fluid won't hurt anything ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

First off get the spydercodes app...it's free and will tell you how to get the codes, what they mean and some solutions.
    Next:
    Check you were not ryding with your foot on the brake....
    Check the brake fluid level....(refer to Mike's post above)
    Check the brake light switch..they will stick...
    Check that all the brake lights are working
    Check the brake pads...
    Check the brake fluid sensors (if you can)
    Turn the spyder off remove the key let the computers reset, maybe 30-45 minutes depending on model, re start and see if the warning cleared and does not come back. Could be a glitch or too long on the brakes on a downhill....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    First off get the spydercodes app...it's free and will tell you how to get the codes, what they mean and some solutions.
    Next:
    Check you were not ryding with your foot on the brake....
    Check the brake fluid level....(refer to Mike's post above)
    Check the brake light switch..they will stick...
    Check that all the brake lights are working
    Check the brake pads...
    Check the brake fluid sensors (if you can)
    Turn the spyder off remove the key let the computers reset, maybe 30-45 minutes depending on model, re start and see if the warning cleared and does not come back. Could be a glitch or too long on the brakes on a downhill....
    He can't download the app since Roger pulled. Was he using the correct to get codes?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    He can't download the app since Roger pulled. Was he using the correct to get codes?
    Looks like the proper procedure. The last time I got this notice it was low brake fluid pressure and it had to be reset with BUDS.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 10-03-2017 at 08:13 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by klimentr View Post
    I have a 2010 RSS SE5 with Brake Failure scrolling across my gauge screen. 7,100 miles

What I have checked/done:
    1. Checked brake fluid, both reservoirs are full,floats are not hung up.
    2. Brake pads look fine,Rears are a little low so I am going to change them when they get here.
    3. have attempted to retreive codes using a method another member detailed as
    the following
    "To get codes: Press and hold MODE button
    Stop on TOTAL HOURS
    Push the FLASH HIGH BEAM rapidly 5 times."
    I have used the mode button on handle bar and on cluster and I do not get any response other than the normal park brake on and Brake Failure.
    4. I checked the LPS sensor and it appears OK.
    I would like to know the procedure to Retreive the actual Code and then be able to Reset the codes once I have replaced the rear pads. I live in the Daytona area and would like to rectify this issue before Biktoberfest on the 18th of this month which I have planned to be from work and planned to enjoy it on the Spyder this year.

Thank You in advance for all the help you can offer,
    Rick
    That is the procedure with the engine running. Was it?
    A fault warning light must be on as well because only active codes can be displayed. Was a fault warning light on?
    If you did the code retrieval process correctly. The display will show the active codes or say "No Active Fault Codes"

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

No I did not have the engine running, that is the foirst thing I will do when I get home from work today. Now if I can get the code how do I reset it or is it a dealer thing only??

Spyder Garage

No I did not have the engine running, that is the foirst thing I will do when I get home from work today. Now if I can get the code how do I reset it or is it a dealer thing only??
    Almost all fault codes will change from active to occurred on their own when the cause has been dealt with. There are only a couple that need to be cleared. There a few others that take time, engine run time or distance driven to clear.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

You can't 'reset the code' without BUDS but most of them do clear on their own once the actual problem is fixed. Get the code and report back here.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Default C 1282

So I have code c1282. Once I did the retreival process with engine running it showed that code and will be replacing the rear pads and do the LPS reset procedure and go from there. I would like to thank all of you for your help.

Spyder Garage

So I have code c1282. Once I did the retreival process with engine running it showed that code and will be replacing the rear pads and do the LPS reset procedure and go from there. I would like to thank all of you for your help.
    Low brake fluid pressure. Usually a result of old contaminated fluid unless there is a leak. Spyders need a brake fluid flush every 2 years.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I agree with jcthorne c1282 is cause by old contaminated fluid or a leak. But I will add by a defective master cylinder. Also what happens often is after changing out brake pads. The pedal is not pumped up to firm before turning on the key.

Fault code c1282 is one of the sticky codes that needs to be reset by BUDS or there is a procedure you can do yourself. I will post if you need it.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Please

I would like the procedure you talk about ....

Spyder Garage

I would like the procedure you talk about ....
    Turn on the ignition key.
    Wait until it fully boots up.
    Press the mode button like normal.
    Press down the brake pedal hard and hold it there.
    Turn the ignition key off.
    Wait until it fully shuts down. About 20 seconds but wait 30 to make sure.
    Release the brake pedal.
    Next time you turn on the key the fault should be gone.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Brake Failure message

klimentr,

I have a 2008 GS. Last month I got the same error. I could NOT retrieve
    codes using any method in this blog. After changing rear brakes as they were low,
    and bleeding the rear. I took to dealer. I had just made a trip of 2000+ miles when the
    message started.

The dealer put it on BUDS and determined low brake pressure. He bled the entire brake
    system and cleared the message for $200. In the bleeding process, he determined that the fluid
    had never been changed. He also discovered lots of air in the brake line (not near a wheel).
    This caused a spongy brake that I never noticed, as I was not the original owner.

Best of luck,

Spyder Garage

Hi hillrad,

Re: I've decided to trash the sensors.

I have read on this forum that you can just disconnect the electrical connection to the sensors.

That might be better than 'trashing' them. Although, I agree that they are insanely too sensitive.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hillrad View Post
    Also having the "BRAKE FAILURE" message 2-3 times in the last year or so with code c1282. After adding fluid and clearing the code/message with the "key" process, I've found this can be finicky (like all Spyder maintenance). In my case, this reset process may work slightly different each time. The most recent brake failure light wouldn't clear, as it did previously, with the following steps (tried at least 10 times)...

Turn on the ignition key.

Wait until it fully boots up.
    Press the mode button like normal.
    Press down the brake pedal hard and hold it there.
    Turn the ignition key off.
    Wait until it fully shuts down. About 20 seconds but wait 30 to make sure.
    Release the brake pedal.

What happened recently... before full shutdown, while cursing,
    I turn key back on/off several times and then let it shut down. BINGO! Message and warning light gone. Also found in order to retrieve codes, my headlight switch must be on brights.

These low brake fluid sensors are unnecessarily sensitive. I'm finished overfilling the fluid reservoir every few months just to silence the idiot light & warning so I've decided to trash the sensors. Before a trip, no mater what kind of machine, I always do a thorough preflight inspection anyways. Yeah, yeah,yeah... who's gonna be first to scold me?
    You seem to be confused. Fault code C1282 has nothing to do with low brake fluid level. It is a low brake pressure fault. That happens when the low pressure switch is triggered before there is enough pressure in the high pressure side of the master cylinder. So disconnecting the brake fluid level sensors will not make any difference since that is not the cause.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

So C0049 = low fluid (i.e. overly sensitive sensors) and if all else is looks good,
    recurring C1282 may indicate faulty master cylinder, pressure switch, pads or... ?
    C1282 can be caused by:
    When working on the brakes. Turning the key on before pumping the brake pedal until firm.
    Contaminated brake fluid.
    Air in the brake lines.
    Fluid leak. Either external or internal in the master cylinder.

It is not caused by worn out brake pads.

A defective low pressure switch will give you other fault codes not C1282.

PS. I think C0049 is the correct fault code for low brake fluid for a 2008 model. I believe it was changed in later models to 2 different codes. Each identifying which reservoir was low.
    Last edited by billybovine; 02-23-2018 at 11:30 AM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

You say (C1282) is caused by "When working on the brakes. Turning the key on before pumping the brake pedal until firm." This seems to indicate that activating the "low pressure switch" throws a C1282. But you also say "It is not caused by worn out brake pads." Therefore what code is triggered if brake pads are worn enough to cause the brake pedal to activate the "low pressure switch"?
    Worn out brake pads will never active the low pressure fault. The low pressure switch is activated almost everytime you use the brakes. No matter the pads condition. It only causes a fault if there is not enough pressure in either the front or rear brakes when the switch is activated. There is no specific code for worn out brake pads, but low fluid level can be an indicator. The brake fluid drops in the reservoir and moves to the high pressure side of the system as the pads wear. This keeps the pedal travel and feel the same. The low pressure switch is there to warn of a brake fluid leak. The leak could be external cause by a bad hose or loose fitting. It also could be internal to the master cylinder, bad seals. Because the low pressure switch is actually a measurement of pedal travel and if there is not a minimum amount of pressure. It can also be caused by bad fluid, air in the system or if the caliper pistons have been pushed back into the calipers.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Worn out brake pads will never active the low pressure fault. The low pressure switch is activated almost everytime you use the brakes. No matter the pads condition. It only causes a fault if there is not enough pressure in either the front or rear brakes when the switch is activated. There is no specific code for worn out brake pads, but low fluid level can be an indicator. The brake fluid drops in the reservoir and moves to the high pressure side of the system as the pads wear. This keeps the pedal travel and feel the same. The low pressure switch is there to warn of a brake fluid leak. The leak could be external cause by a bad hose or loose fitting. It also could be internal to the master cylinder, bad seals. Because the low pressure switch is actually a measurement of pedal travel and if there is not a minimum amount of pressure. It can also be caused by bad fluid, air in the system or if the caliper pistons have been pushed back into the calipers.
    "The low pressure switch is activated almost everytime you use the brakes.". Aware there's no brake pad code per se but didn't realize the LPS was routinely activated. I'm told there's an internal pressure sensor in the VCM for the front brake circuit. Nonetheless after several "brake failure" warnings (c1282), I've replaced pads along with bleeding all old fluid (except VCM). If code reappears, guess the problem is the old fluid remaining in VCM and/or the master cylinder.

You mention the caliper piston. Had issue with compressing the rear piston which was the result of adjusting the parking brake, several years ago, which was turned in against the piston not allowing it to compress fully.
    Fog lights
    Tour wind screen & deflectors
    Auxiliary power
    KewlMetal - radiator web
    SpyderPops - Air Dam, Heat Shield & Air Management
    Rivco - floorboards
    Easy Risers
    ISCI - passenger armrests
    Canisterectomy Stant 10819 gas cap
    DYI rear splash guards
    Frunk light
    Handlebar foam grips,cup holder & mirrors
    Wool seat cover
    Rear rack bag
    Car tires Solar 175/65r14 - 215/60r15
    MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Wires (DIY)
    LED strips brake/running
    2008 GS , MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Wires (DIY) - Autolite Iridium Extreme Sport Spark Plugs #XS4162 Stock BLACK/SILVER