Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PTT CB Issue

Spyder Garage

Default PTT CB Issue

Hello all. We have recently added to the fold a 2014 RT limited and enjoyed it all the way up till they put CB in

She has had this machine at the dealer almost as long as she ridden it and they STILL have not fixed it correctly.

It's when you try to use the CB by PTT it kicks a U0073 & C006C code and she has to pull over and "reset".

The bad part about this is that it seems intermittent as she can use it sometimes for a few and other times it kicks it right away. She can receive all day long and all is fine but hit the PTT and

Anyone have similar issues with these CB setups and if so what was the final cure / out come.

More to follow as we continue and hope to figure it out.

Spyder Garage

CB? What's with all these CB threads here on SpyderLovers?
    Didn't anyone tell you that nobody is on the CB anymore, so there's no one to talk to?
    Did we enter a time warp to 1970? What's next, your rotary dial house phone can't make calls like it used to?

Spyder Garage

We use our CB all the time and have never had a moments problem nor has my friends had any problems. It may be old hat as far as CB is concerned but works great to communicate between Bikes. Used them when we rode harleys also. Had it on spyder since 2012.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by classicvw View Post
    Didn't anyone tell you that nobody is on the CB anymore, so there's no one to talk to?
    Did we enter a time warp to 1970? What's next, your rotary dial house phone can't make calls like it used to?
    10-4 Rubber neck... We'll Keep a look out for them teddy bears

You are correct that it is Old technology. So one would think BRP could get it right from the get go now wouldn't ya????

Even the dealer cant figure out why it worked fine BEFORE they added the CB.

HOWEVER The rest of the group rides New Goldwings and we use it for simple bike to bike comm's .

SO THIS IS WHY I ASKED
    Last edited by Jimbo04; 10-02-2017 at 01:23 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by R FUN View Post
    We use our CB all the time and have never had a moments problem nor has my friends had any problems. It may be old hat as far as CB is concerned but works great to communicate between Bikes. Used them when we rode harleys also. Had it on spyder since 2012.
    Roger
    Thanks for the info. We also have several other friends with the exact same yr and model RT.
    They do not have any issues either.

So it would seem this is either a fluke, bad dealer or BRP product right out of the box.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default My CB Saga

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo04 View Post
    So it would seem this is either a fluke, bad dealer or BRP product right out of the box.
    I vote for BOTH bad dealer and questionable BRP product quality (bad, right out of the box). See this thread for my woes -- still ongoing, still not fixed (although I no longer have to deal with the bad dealer): http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...aler-BLACK-EYE

Good luck .... Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

Default CB Radios

If you're riding with two or three other Spyder's or motorcycles, a cb radio is often a better way to communicate as opposed to a Scala or Sena unit. No need to pair with other riders.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hello all. We have recently added to the fold a 2014 RT limited and enjoyed it all the way up till they put CB in

She has had this machine at the dealer almost as long as she ridden it and they STILL have not fixed it correctly.

It's when you try to use the CB by PTT it kicks a U0073 & C006C code and she has to pull over and "reset".

The bad part about this is that it seems intermittent as she can use it sometimes for a few and other times it kicks it right away. She can receive all day long and all is fine but hit the PTT and

Anyone have similar issues with these CB setups and if so what was the final cure / out come.

More to follow as we continue and hope to figure it out.
    Hammer on the dealer to go back through tech service bulletins and notices. There was a significant problem with CBs mucking up the CAN signals in the early 2014 Spyders, so much so that BRP stopped selling CBs for awhile. From what I've read the problem is exactly what your wife is experiencing. The fix, as I understand, was a new and different entertainment harness and a newer version of the CB radio. I'll bet the dealer installed one of the problem CBs he either had in stock or found real cheap somewhere. I sure hope you didn't buy it and have him put it in. The fix may have involved changing out some of the processors that are connected to the CAN bus, but I don't know for sure. Or it may have been a reprogramming of the ECM.

Your problem is real, is a known problem, and has been fixed. Light a fire under your dealer.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Newer is not always better. Name me one communication technology that reaches out over a few miles, can talk to as many others as are tuned in all at the same time, can start talking back and forth without a pairing rigamarole more complicated than a square dance, and is not likely to be replaced next year by a newer version. If CBs are so out of date why do all emergency and law enforcement people still use them? Except theirs are called two-way radios by Motorola.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilderThomas View Post
    If you're riding with two or three other Spyder's or motorcycles, a cb radio is often a better way to communicate as opposed to a Scala or Sena unit. No need to pair with other riders.
    But aren't all these units PTT?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Newer is not always better. Name me one communication technology that reaches out over a few miles, can talk to as many others as are tuned in all at the same time, can start talking back and forth without a pairing rigamarole more complicated than a square dance, and is not likely to be replaced next year by a newer version. If CBs are so out of date why do all emergency and law enforcement people still use them? Except theirs are called two-way radios by Motorola.
    maybe it works OK in wide open spaces out west, but most populated areas, not so well. And why do you need to talk back and forth to a large group of bikers anyway?

Spyder Garage

maybe it works OK in wide open spaces out west, but most populated areas, not so well. And why do you need to talk back and forth to a large group of bikers anyway?
    As the leader or Tail gunner of the group as well as keep the group informed of danger or up coming turns, stops, ect.....
    When the group is stretched out over miles or even two groups it helps to maintain safety as well as other things.

Not to sound totally rude, but I didn't ask for your blessing to use something that is a factory option nor do I really care if you choose not use it.
    I simple asked a question on a forum, looking for feed back related to said issue, that is for information purposes.

So as for the rest of the great input and ideas, I really appreciate your feed back.

Spyder Garage

And why do you need to talk back and forth to a large group of bikers anyway?
    As Jimbo says. Talking among the entire group enhances safety and cohesion of the group. It's more efficient than hand signals. The leader can warn of road hazards such as rocks and tire gators, slow traffic along the side like bicycle riders, notice of turns coming up, speed limit changes, etc. The tail gunner can inform when all riders have cleared a stop sign or traffic signal, or are getting separated by such, warn of traffic from behind wanting to pass, let the group know when all is clear behind so they move as a group into the left lane to pass a semi, and such. And even once in awhile someone will point out a landmark or other point of interest. Your question makes me wonder. Have you never sat in on a motorcycle safety training course dealing with group riding?

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

I still use a cheap CB in my work van. Still the best way to know where the cops are and Traffic accidents on the big roads. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Just an update to the issues she is having. After some searching and digging it turns out that there was a Service note on this issue in 2013 & 14 and it describes the symptoms EXACTLY almost word for word
    and gives the process and components to replace.

It seems that the CB & the entertainment harness require replacement according to BRP service note.

Now it will only be a matter of time before she can test and verify this due to different dealer is being used now and due to weather.

Will post with update when its back

Spyder Garage

Just an update to the issues she is having. After some searching and digging it turns out that there was a Service note on this issue in 2013 & 14 and it describes the symptoms EXACTLY almost word for word
    and gives the process and components to replace.

It seems that the CB & the entertainment harness require replacement according to BRP service note.

Now it will only be a matter of time before she can test and verify this due to different dealer is being used now and due to weather.

Will post with update when its back
    Can you let us know how you re-set the codes.
    My dealer said he has to do it...

Spyder Garage

Yup,I still use one with our spyder and had C.B.'s on my two GW's also. Great for inter-bike comm. in groups (don't have to burn minutes up bluetooth'n by phone), Great for talking to truck drivers (one's that have C.B.'s still) when there is a log jam on the Interstate and I might want to escape the traffic jam.
    So yes there are a few of us old fools out there that still have old school tech. habits. At least when the world of technology takes a "crap", Us old guy's will be able to wind up those ham radios!! Mad Mac!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I haven't used the CB yet on my Spyder because I don't ride in groups but I used it all the time with the Wings. And even if you don't talk to your riding buds on CB it is still useful in case you have a disabling event and have to call for help. Highway Patrol still monitor CB and so do most long haul trucks. If you are out in the boonies where there is no cell service CB can be a lifesaver.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    I haven't used the CB yet on my Spyder because I don't ride in groups but I used it all the time with the Wings. And even if you don't talk to your riding buds on CB it is still useful in case you have a disabling event and have to call for help. Highway Patrol still monitor CB and so do most long haul trucks. If you are out in the boonies where there is no cell service CB can be a lifesaver.
    Mad Mac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmal View Post
    Can you let us know how you re-set the codes.
    My dealer said he has to do it...
    The Codes her was kicking were "re-set" when the machine was turned off and back on.
    They were temp due to the CB PTT tripping the Can Bus error. this error is stored in the unit even tho it is cleared and it is only seen by or cleared by using the BUDS type software setup to access.

The dealer is correct on some level that they have to do it. They have the $800+ software to do this. So IF your code doesnt clear by turning off and on, then its a trip to see them

Spyder Garage

Default They finally found it......

After many months and weeks of the spyder being at the New place..... The problem has / seems to be resolved. She no longer has to worry about the dreaded limp mode / code throwing shenanigans it seems.

The bike went thru a lot of parts and man hrs at this dealer and they finally got it. They went above and beyond to ensure she had what she paid for and would not let her drive away until they knew it was right. RAY C's is in Lapeer Mi and the service manager took care of this customer and I will let everyone know that.

Unlike the place where it was purchased where I am not sure i would trust them to put air in a bicycle tire....

Safe riding to all .....

Spyder Garage

After many months and weeks of the spyder being at the New place..... The problem has / seems to be resolved. She no longer has to worry about the dreaded limp mode / code throwing shenanigans it seems.

The bike went thru a lot of parts and man hrs at this dealer and they finally got it. They went above and beyond to ensure she had what she paid for and would not let her drive away until they knew it was right. RAY C's is in Lapeer Mi and the service manager took care of this customer and I will let everyone know that.
    Did they say what the problem was, or think it was, or what replaced part finally solved it?

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Did they say what the problem was, or think it was, or what replaced part finally solved it?
    That would be nice if I put that..

It boiled down to adding a choke on the PTT line to keep / eliminate the RF noise causing the system to kick the code. BRP initially tried to blame headset, antenna, CB module (3x) complete wiring harness, and even dash cluster. But it came down to the PTT button circuit 😎

Spyder Garage

That would be nice if I put that..

It boiled down to adding a choke on the PTT line to keep / eliminate the RF noise causing the system to kick the code. BRP initially tried to blame headset, antenna, CB module (3x) complete wiring harness, and even dash cluster. But it came down to the PTT button circuit 😎
    Interesting. I wonder what wire they actually put it on. There really is no PTT circuit per se for the driver headset. There is a very short connection between the PTT button and the PC board inside the left handle switch module. The module is part of the CAN bus and the PTT signal is a digital signal to the radio, which then forwards the signal to the CB unit, or closes a loop in a CB circuit possibly parallel with the pax headset PTT button, which then puts the CB into transmit mode.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Default QB Question

with your helmet on how does one hear from the group? Are you able to use the speakers in your helmet? If i were to get one does it have to be from BRP to be able to use the PTT button on the handle bar? Cost etc. Thanks guys

Dave