Spyder Garage

Default Need advice about electric vest and how to...

... set up the wiring. I read past posts, but I am NOT electrically inclined, so pics are very helpful for me. I didn't quite understand the prior instructions. But, I DO KNOW not to mess with the negative terminal under the seat... I already did that once.
    We will be riding in Arkansas in the middle of October and I think an electric vest is what I would like to use. Recommendations for the brand and then how to install wiring is appreciated. 2010 RT SM5 bike. Thanks.
    Jim

Ryde, eat, sleep.... repeat

2019 Spyder RT Limited Pearl White/Dark
    LaMonster drink holder with X-Grip
    LaMonster Belt Dampener
    Lamonster USB cable with extension

Variously called Stormtrooper, Pearl, and Goober by wife and various (friends?)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

well to make it easy for you. run the wire harness from the two battery posts to where you what to plug in the heated vest. And a controller helps you adjust the temperature.

Or you can get fancy and hook up a plug in port on the dash too with a controller.

There should be provided instructions with the harness.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy66 View Post
    ... set up the wiring. I read past posts, but I am NOT .electrically inclined, so pics are very helpful for me. I didn't quite understand the prior instructions. But, I DO KNOW not to mess with the negative terminal under the seat... I already did that once.
    We will be riding in Arkansas in the middle of October and I think an electric vest is what I would like to use. Recommendations for the brand and then how to install wiring is appreciated. 2010 RT SM5 bike. Thanks.
    Jim
    I run wiring for the Gerbing direct from the battery under the plastic to under the seat. There I plug the thermostat to my heated liner. Works great.
    IMG_20171002_083845.jpg
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

I bought all the electric parts I need at Cycle Gear, and even bought our heated gear there. I installed the cable from the battery terminal to the underside of the tupperware on the left side for my wife. I mounted my electrical jack next to the speaker on my bike but like the way I did her bike better. This was the first time I have attempted anything like this as I am a talented carpenter but do not like mechanics, but this was easy and satisfying. The hardest part was snaking the cable up from the battery to the point where I could feed it to the female jack. It took a couple of hours to do the entire project and looks better than a cable just hanging out. On the passengers grips on our RTL's there is a knockout where you can mount a jack for the passenger that makes for a clean looking mount.
    Spyder Farkels and eagles 001.jpg Spyder Farkels and eagles 003.jpg Spyder Farkels and eagles 010.jpg Spyder Farkels and eagles 002.jpg
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

... set up the wiring. I read past posts, but I am NOT electrically inclined, so pics are very helpful for me. I didn't quite understand the prior instructions. But, I DO KNOW not to mess with the negative terminal under the seat... I already did that once.
    Jim
    The best gear IMHO is that made by Warm & Safe and also sold under the First Gear label. If you are an AMA member you get a huge discount by ordering direct from Warm & Safe. http://www.warmnsafe.com/.

An easy way to connect is to go straight to the battery terminals. The cable for the heated vest already has the proper fuse in it. Be sure to get the controler and I recommend the bluetooth one.
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 12-13-2017 at 04:05 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default From Battery with inline fuse

As others have suggested, run a direct circuit from your battery. I didn't notice others saying this, so I'll add make sure you ad an in-line fuse so that if you have a problem you blow the inline fuse vs. damage your vest and/or worse. Use a fuse appropriate for the vest's draw.

I can't say regarding your RT, but I have a 2015 RT and I did this with an inline fuse and I ran it to under my seat. I pull it out when I need to plug it into my elec vest.

Rob
    2015 RT-Ltd SE6 and F3S SE6, both with a number of commercial add-ons plus my own tweaks.

Spyder Garage

Default Lets see....

The majority run direct to the battery with an inline fuse. I use Warm Gear many use the Gerbing Brand but there are many others. Wife has the liner with single control for the liner and gloves I have a dual control cause the gloves need to be warmer than the liner seeing as the RS has no wind protection for the hands...My plugs are under the seat and I pull the out only when using the gear (not to often here) but you can mount the plugs to the side or dash
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default About buying a controller for a vest...

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    The best gear IMHO is that made by Warm & Safe and also sold under the First Gear label. If you are and AMA member you get a huge discount by ordering direct from Warm & Safe. http://www.warmnsafe.com/.

An easy way to connect is to go straight to the battery terminals. The cable for the heated vest already has the proper fuse in it. Be sure to get the controler and I recommend the bluetooth one.
    ...what kind should I get and where should I get it?
    Jim

LaMonster Belt Dampener

Spyder Garage

Default Heated Riding Gear - Hooking up to Battery

We will be riding in Arkansas in the middle of October and I think an electric vest is what I would like to use. Recommendations for the brand and then how to install wiring is appreciated. 2010 RT SM5 bike. Thanks. Jim
    You will see almost everyone suggests hooking up directly to the battery. I concur 100%.

As for WHAT to purchase, I have a jacket liner (not a vest) from Venture Heat.
    Easy to hook up and really, really toasty and warm ... even on last Friday when the morning was 34 F.

https://www.ventureheat.com/11-power-sports
    2014 ST Limited

Spyder Garage

This is the heated vest I use. Had to find a vest with a low amp draw that would work with an 84 Goldwing.

http://www.exo2theheatinside.com/

They sale everything you need to set up the connections and controllers.

2015 Red Pearl RT-S
    EXO2 heated Vest/Gloves
    BAJARONS sway bar
    TricLEDS side markers
    Xenon Depot LED Head & Fog Lights\
    Missing Belt Guard
    Bump Skid
    M2 Shocks front/rear
    Russel Day Long heated seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a Gerbing battery operated jacket. It works great and a full charge lasts about seven hours. Need more change out the battery. I can use it when I am on my tractor and out in the back forty, not tied to the bike. I have had plug in jackets but the battery is much better because of it's mobility. I also can ride the Wing and don't have to fool with more wires. JMHO

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Check out Cycle Gear

There is a company that is nation wide that has a ton of motorcycle
    gear inc. heated vests, gloves and more they can show you how to
    install it, some locations will do it for you
    here is a location I hope is near you if not call them and ask for a closer one

Jim

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default mobile warming

check out there gear i love it controller built in we like it so much we sell it at my shop victory drive v twins in indy

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for all the great advice and leads...

...now I need to start my searches and get stuff bought... leaving the 14th for Arkansas for our international rally...
    Jim

LaMonster Belt Dampener

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayBrown View Post
    You will see almost everyone suggests hooking up directly to the battery. I concur 100%.

(snip)
    On my 2010 RT (with the battery buried under the seat under plastic) can I use the exposed posts under the seat to attach the leads for a heated vest? I hook my tender to those and everything seems to work... or do I need to hook the leads directly TO THE BATTERY TERMINALS? Please say "no" to trying to hook them to the battery itself... If you have had a 2010 RT you know what I mean...
    Jim

LaMonster Belt Dampener

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    I bought all the electric parts I need at Cycle Gear, and even bought our heated gear there. I installed the cable from the battery terminal to the underside of the tupperware on the left side for my wife. I mounted my electrical jack next to the speaker on my bike but like the way I did her bike better. This was the first time I have attempted anything like this as I am a talented carpenter but do not like mechanics, but this was easy and satisfying. The hardest part was snaking the cable up from the battery to the point where I could feed it to the female jack. It took a couple of hours to do the entire project and looks better than a cable just hanging out. On the passengers grips on our RTL's there is a knockout where you can mount a jack for the passenger that makes for a clean looking mount.
    I like that setup. Did you power it straight from the battery or use a fuse block (OEM or after-market)?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    check out there gear i love it controller built in we like it so much we sell it at my shop victory drive v twins in indy
    Do you have a link to them? I can't find it under that name.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MurrayBrown View Post
    Great resource. Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    The best gear IMHO is that made by Warm & Safe and also sold under the First Gear label. If you are and AMA member you get a huge discount by ordering direct from Warm & Safe. http://www.warmnsafe.com/. An easy way to connect is to go straight to the battery terminals. The cable for the heated vest already has the proper fuse in it. Be sure to get the controler and I recommend the bluetooth one.
    Good advice. Thanks Paul.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I like that setup. Did you power it straight from the battery or use a fuse block (OEM or after-market)?
    Straight from the battery with an inline fuse that you can access from the frunk. The rest of the power cords were plug and play and I fished them up through the front end and zip tied them off at several locations after I removed some of the tupper ware.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant