Spyder Garage

Default Which seat is most comfortable?

I apologize if this topic has been over-discussed already, but the more I research seat options, the more confused I get. I have no real problem with the stock seat on my 2016 F3-T, but I'm guessing there are much more comfortable seats out there. I would appreciate some recommendations - cannon ball, comfort seat, coast-to-coast, Corbin, other after-market brands, vinyl, leather, backrest, etc?

Thank you,

Jack

Spyder Garage

The subject does get some discussion from time to time. Seats are a personal item. One man's pain is another's pleasure.

Good news, if you are currently NOT experiencing "issues" with your current seat--I would leave stuff alone for now.

Two big problems with new seats. They cost a lot, and it takes a couple hundred miles before you know if you hit the jackpot--or did not. A bad seat purchase can cost you hundreds of dollars.

That said: I have replaced all five seats on my 's. I find the OEM to be to soft for my liking, and even though they feel great at first sit--50 miles later--I have to get off.

I have experience with two aftermarket seats. I am one of the few who actually like Corbin's. Most find them to be to hard. I call them "supportive." I had Corbins on both my 08 and 10 Spyders. A non-heated Corbin with one back rest, will set you back about $750.

The other aftermarket seat I have used are the BRP Comfort seats. Had those on the 09, the 11, and the 14. The Comfort seat sits you back about 2 inches from the standard one. For me, they seem more supportive than OEM. I can ride all day without issues. The one on my 14 is even a bit more improved. A tad more support and compared to riding on the 11, I like the 14 better. Cost about $595 from the BRP dealer.

There are other brands out there, but these are the ones I have had experience with.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Very good advice and information. I just ran across Russell seats. You send the stock seat to them, and they modify it. Seems to be a little cheaper than the other aftermarket seats.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by USMMAN View Post
    Very good advice and information. I just ran across Russell seats. You send the stock seat to them, and they modify it. Seems to be a little cheaper than the other aftermarket seats.
    Russell Day Long are good seats, as well as many others. I had one on my Honda NT700, very good, would not make yearn to get off. yes you do have to send in seat for them to modify. I have my production date for 11-6. total is about $1070 for two tone colors, with sumbrella on seat pan with red spyder web stitching on pan and backrest. Seat is like a tractor seat, helps support outer thighs. But every rider is different
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

As AK says, if you like your current seat, don’t change it. However, if you don’t like it, don’t bother going down the different BRP models, Corbin, Mustang etc etc unless you have lots of patience and money. Russell Daylong guarantee they will make a seat to give you all day comfort based on your riding style and and body shape, and they do. If you don’t want to give up your own seat, buy a cheap second hand one and send that in (must be the same model as your current one).

This is in no way a relection of Corbin, Mustang, BRP etc seats being bad in any way. It is just that as AK says, different bodies suit different styles of seat. I have given up “testing” each time I buy a new bike, and just go straight to Daylong......they haven’t let me down yet

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Default Motorcycle Dave

Check out motorcycle Dave's inserts ! I was asking the same questions that you are, he contacted me about his inserts so I had one installed and we are very happy with them. The cost is much less than an aftermarket seat and from what I have been told by other riders the cannonball and coast to coast seats aren't worth the money for the comfort that you get. Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by USMMAN View Post
    I apologize if this topic has been over-discussed already, but the more I research seat options, the more confused I get. I have no real problem with the stock seat on my 2016 F3-T, but I'm guessing there are much more comfortable seats out there. I would appreciate some recommendations - cannon ball, comfort seat, coast-to-coast, Corbin, other after-market brands, vinyl, leather, backrest, etc?

Thank you,

Jack

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just did a cross country trip (7,370 miles) on our 2016 F3L and the stock seat was just fine. Even on 650 mile days.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Russel Day Long Seat - really helped

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    Russell Day Long are good seats, as well as many others. I had one on my Honda NT700, very good, would not make yearn to get off. yes you do have to send in seat for them to modify. I have my production date for 11-6. total is about $1070 for two tone colors, with sumbrella on seat pan with red spyder web stitching on pan and backrest. Seat is like a tractor seat, helps support outer thighs. But every rider is different
    +1 on the Russel Day Long seat. We have a 2014 RTL and had a stock seat for a couple years. We sent our stock seat to RDL (they're in California) over this past winter and had it this season - wow - great improvement. My passenger (wife) was getting some pain on longer rydes...now, no complaints on the all day rydes!

You take pictures of you (and your passenger) on the bike and send them to RDL and they configure the seat to your specific needs. They do ask about your height, weight, etc. as well. Total process took a couple of months - but we have plenty of time for that in the great state of Minnesnowta in the winter time!

Good luck to you to find the right seat for you .... a lot of good ones out there.
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default envy

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    I just did a cross country trip (7,370 miles) on our 2016 F3L and the stock seat was just fine. Even on 650 mile days.
    Rub it in

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I find the OEM to be to soft for my liking, and even though they feel great at first sit--50 miles later--I have to get off.

When I upgraded to my '15, I went with the BRP comfort seat. I find it to be a bit more supportive, but not enough for my liking. If I were to buy another seat, I would probably look at the Corbin's as they are more firm and I think for my body, that would be a better solution.

Bottom line is, seats are a personal thing. They need to fit you and your body's needs for sitting for extended periods of time. Unfortunately, as other have said, you have to spend the money to try them out.

Not sure this helped, but I do wish you the best in finding a good seat. Let us know what you settle on and how it works out for you.
    Regards,
    BitSlayer

2015 Spyder RT Limited - Perl White
    - Having fun with my knees in the breeze

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all. Very good information. I'll probably keep the stock seat for a while.