Thread: IPod or ???

Spyder Garage

Default IPod or ???

Anything other than an ipod able to take advantage of the controls on the handlebars of 2016 RT. Been using spodify but no clue as to hooking up phone to handlebars to control music.
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On the 17 F3T you can plug your IPhone in on the USB and you can use the handlebar controls for music. I know that wasn't an option on the 14 RT but it sure is nice in the F3T. Have you tried that on your 16?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

If an IPOD is connected with the proper cable to the RT, the front (left handlebar) mode, set, controls do work the IPOD when stopped. When moving you can skip songs or volume up or down, or mute only. I think that's on any RT with the apple connector adapter to the trunk jack on the right. It's in the Manual, Audio Controls, IPOD section.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    If an IPOD is connected with the proper cable to the RT, the front (left handlebar) mode, set, controls do work the IPOD when stopped. When moving you can skip songs or volume up or down, or mute only. I think that's on any RT with the apple connector adapter to the trunk jack on the right. It's in the Manual, Audio Controls, IPOD section.
    David, I think he's trying to use something other than an Ipod and still be able to use the handlebar controls for it.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Somebody here some time ago discussed and/or ordered an adapter that would make an Android player simulate an iPod for control purposes. I don't recall if he ever got back to let us know the outcome. It was built for automobile use I believe.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Subscribed to spotify just last nite, got it on my home laptop, my work phone and my Samsung8Note. I have on old Ipod Classic that I move between my car and my trike and trying to get spotify to work on my trike.

Owners manual speaks mostly of Ipods but little else, can do a flash drive but doesn't appear that you can do anything other than play the songs, can't shuffle, can advance, but no playlists or anything like that.

Can put the phone in my pocket and use earbuds, but would just as soon try to utilize the speakers and use the buttons available, perhaps the new 2018's will have this capability but since I bought mine 5/1/17 that's not really an option.

I saw there was a bluetooth speaker that can be placed on regular motorcycle but doesn't look like mount will work with spyder handlebars, this would allow me to use phone and not have the earbuds and would give me playlist options, an ok option if I cannot get spotify to work through the trike.
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Is your phone iPhone or Android? If iPhone can you use it as an iPod connected in the trunk? If so, then do the iPod controls also control Spotify? If it's an Android get a BT receiver that plugs into an iPod connector. Connect the receiver in the trunk and BT connect the phone to it and keep the phone up front on a cradle or in your pocket. I have my phone play Pandora through the BT receiver into the bike audio. It shows up as Aux so there is no controlling it from the handlebars which is why it's in a cradle where I can reach it.

Otherwise, for Android, the Grom audio unit mentioned in the post above is probably your only option, if it is a viable option.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 10-01-2017 at 11:38 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Music App Tip: "Slacker" (Has an off-line mode after you select entire stations of your music choice for download to phone.) Only $4 a month! (Works AWESOME on my old Android 4.3 phone and there's also an app for iPhones.)
    Last edited by TRLBLZR1; 10-03-2017 at 09:39 PM.
    🏁🏁 "Live Free Or Die" 🏁🏁

Spyder Garage

So plugged my Samsung Note 8 type C into the usb cable in 2016 RT as I am trying to play Spotify through phone through speakers. Didn't work through the USB option and through the AUX option got a "No files" message.

Is there a cable that could run under the seat and mount phone on handlebars that would plug into the 3.5 mm Audio cable in the trunk?

I did try going with the bluetooth receiver into the audio cable but experienced quite a few drops for some reason and I thought the sound was of lower quality than being hard-wired.
    2016 RT Limited - Hicklin Powersport (Des Moines, IA)

BaJaRon Swaybar, Custom Painted (Sue Hopper), Dashmount, Dongle - BRP, FOBO Tire Monitoring System, Lidlox, Magic Mirror Mounts , Safety Light Package,
    Wide-Vu Mirrors, Hopnel Saddlebag Liners, Saddlebag Nets, F$ Tall Boy Windshield (without Vent)

Odds & Ends
    Ron Bandy Motorcycle Driving Course - ronbandy.com
    1000A Battery Pack, Air Pack, Black Dymond Detailer
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Default I have Been Using

A bluetooth device that I have on the trumk. I have it on my phone and when we go for rides I just connect my phone and use the Aux setting on the bike. we either use my amazon playlist or pandora whichever button gets pressed first, we dont care to shuffle etc. just listen. Got the bluetooth adapter from Lamonster works great

Dave

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris View Post
    I did try going with the bluetooth receiver into the audio cable but experienced quite a few drops for some reason and I thought the sound was of lower quality than being hard-wired.
    I'm inclined to think that either your BT adapter or your phone has a problem handling BT, more likely your BT adapter. I have two BT adapters, one for audio in the trunk, and one up front plugged into the GPS input for my Samsung Tab A tablet that I use for GPS. Once paired and connected I've never had a problem of drop outs.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fire34 View Post
    A bluetooth device that I have on the trumk. I have it on my phone and when we go for rides I just connect my phone and use the Aux setting on the bike. we either use my amazon playlist or pandora whichever button gets pressed first, we dont care to shuffle etc. just listen. Got the bluetooth adapter from Lamonster works great

Dave
    Any specific bluetooth adapter?
    2016 RT Limited - Hicklin Powersport (Des Moines, IA)

BaJaRon Swaybar, Custom Painted (Sue Hopper), Dashmount, Dongle - BRP, FOBO Tire Monitoring System, Lidlox, Magic Mirror Mounts , Safety Light Package,
    Wide-Vu Mirrors, Hopnel Saddlebag Liners, Saddlebag Nets, F$ Tall Boy Windshield (without Vent)

Odds & Ends
    Ron Bandy Motorcycle Driving Course - ronbandy.com
    1000A Battery Pack, Air Pack, Black Dymond Detailer
    2016 RT Limited , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris View Post
    Any specific bluetooth adapter?
    I'd say go with this one. http://www.lamonstergarage.com/bluetooth-receiver-for-rt-f3t-st-br1/ Lamont don't sell no junk if he can help it!

There are dozens of them out there, most no name or odd ball name and you have no way of knowing how good they are. I bought mine from Amazon, or maybe eBay, accepting the gamble about them being good or not. I may have bought one from a cardboard display at Lowes. In any case I lucked out and came out a winner.

2014 Copper RTS