Spyder Garage

Default 2012 Rt-S stalling and not downshifting SE 5

I have a 2012 RT S, I am the original owner, yesterday after riding a couple of hours, we took a break and when I started the bike it was idling very rough, went down the road and got up to speed and it ran fine, came up to a stop sign and it would not automatically down shift and stalled. I got it to start back up and had to rock it back and forth to get it back to first gear. Mind you I am over a hundred miles from home in Amish country. Started down the road again to another stop sign, so I manually down shifted to first and it stalled again. I finally made it home, now where do I start to troubleshooting or do I just limp it to a dealership which is an hour away?
    Thanks in advance.
    The Wife of Mongo

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Vacuum Lines

Hey Wife of Mongo,

Since we don't have the service history, I'll start at the beginning. At this point in the life of a 2012 RT, those symptoms are classic of vacuum leaks from the two vacuum lines on the MAP sensor. Have they ever been replaced? Left side of motor on throttle body under air box. See attachment-click for a larger version. Replace with 3mm ID silicon line. Cut to exactly same length of 85mm. It's a good DIY project and if they've never been replaced, it's the most probable place to start. Front line is hard to see and get to, but trust that there are two of them, and it doesn't take many cracks to cause your problems. Let's start there. The second thing to look at if the vacuum line replacement doesn't solve it is the purge valve. Just a simple replacement of that. Right hand side above the charcoal canister. While you have it all apart, it's time to replace the fuel filter if not already done. Not the cause of your problem, it's just time. Right side, behind the canister. Can't miss it. Additionally, run a couple of tanks of Sea Foam though it just for good measure.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Default Vacuum Lines

Thanks for the information, I tore in to it tonight, the hose easiest to see looked good, but the back one was severely cracked, I will pick up the new hose on Wednesday and let you know if it fixed it.
    Thanks,
    Mongo

Spyder Garage

Default Fixed

Well after $1.68 the wife's bike is running normal again, Thanks for the advice, spot on.
    Mongo
    Last edited by Mongo; 10-07-2017 at 10:55 AM.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    Well after $1.68 the wife big is running normal again, Thanks for the advice, spot on.
    Mongo
    And one last thing....at every oil change when you have that lower left panel off, it's a good practice to put the torque wrench on that front sprocket bolt. 92 ft/lbs.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 10-06-2017 at 07:03 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

question now is did you replace it with a synthetic hose. When I had problems with mine (Turned out to not be a cracked hose) i still replaced every hose I could find with a synthetic one. Elleminate the problem now since i had it apart.

Jim
    2012 Can am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Chevy Camaro SS