Thread: Slipping clutch

Spyder Garage

Default Slipping clutch

I have a 2013 ST SE5 Limited that I live on. Since April 2016 when I bought it I have put on almost 30,000 miles. I love the ride. Then this AM as I was preparing for a 3 day ride into the Maine wilderness the clutch started to slip. I had the oil changed about 1,500 ago. I have had an occasional shutter when first starting in the AM. I checked the oil that was used when changed and it was the correct type. There is no code showing. It slips in reverse as well as first.
    What can I expect when I return it to the shop??

Spyder Garage

Clutch shudder when cold on a 2013 is normal because of the longer life clutch material used that year.
    Are you sure the clutch is slipping? It does not take much slippage to throw a code. Describe the actual symptoms you are experiencing.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Also you say it's the right oil. What oil is in it? You could try changing to the BRP oil to see if it is the oil formulation. SE5 is very picky on oil type.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Also you say it's the right oil. What oil is in it? You could try changing to the BRP oil to see if it is the oil formulation. SE5 is very picky on oil type.
    The clutch pack in a SE5 is the same as a SM5. So the oil requirement is the same. Just a myth that SE5 has a special oil requirement.

But you make a good point that oil could be the culpert but it's not clear if the clutch is slipping since it is not throwing a code.
    Last edited by billybovine; 10-01-2017 at 12:43 PM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The clutch pack in a SE5 is the same as a SM5. So the oil requirement is the same. Just a myth that SE5 has a special oil requirement.

But you make a good point that oil could be the culpert but it's not clear if the clutch is slipping since it is not throwing a code.
    Would still be nice to know what OK oil is in it.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

It is the oil specified by Can Am. The clutch does not even engage. I hear a slight click. I tried to look for codes by pressing the three buttons but nothing showed up.
    I'm not sure if I am doing this correctly

Spyder Garage

It is the correct oil as specified by Can Am. There is no code. I tried to view a code by pressing the three buttons but nothing showed up. The clutch only makes a slight click. It was a spinning sound in the beginning.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by frenchbz View Post
    It is the correct oil as specified by Can Am. There is no code. I tried to view a code by pressing the three buttons but nothing showed up. The clutch only makes a slight click. It was a spinning sound in the beginning.
    Sorry, I don't understand what you're saying. Let's try this.

Does the engine start?
    If the engine starts. Does is shift into 1st or reverse gear from neutral?
    If it shifts into gear. Does the parking brake release?
    If the parking brake releases. Does the Spyder move under it's own power after revving the engine to 2,000 rpm or more.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Sorry, I don't understand what you're saying. Let's try this.

Does the engine start?
    If the engine starts. Does is shift into 1st or reverse gear from neutral?
    If it shifts into gear. Does the parking brake release?
    If the parking brake releases. Does the Spyder move under it's own power after revving the engine to 2,000 rpm or more.

The engine starts as normal. I can shift into 1st or reverse then I hear a slight click and then a scraping sound as the clutch doesn't want to engage. I can set and release the parking brake. The Spider will not move as there is only a scraping sound as the clutch tries to engage.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by frenchbz View Post
    The engine starts as normal. I can shift into 1st or reverse then I hear a slight click and then a scraping sound as the clutch doesn't want to engage. I can set and release the parking brake. The Spider will not move as there is only a scraping sound as the clutch tries to engage.
    Sounds like the clutch has failed. Not a slippage problem. A part has broken. I would say it needs to be taken apart and repaired.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting....

When the clutch plates fail you will generally get the rpm's going up but you are not moving any faster. Yours sounds more like the engaging components are failing. Or your plates are worn down to the metal... do tell when you find out....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Cool

"The Spider will not move as there is only a scraping sound as the clutch tries to engage."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This may not a clutch problem ... if you are hearing a scraping sound... may be worth checking the front drive pulley ... the retaining bolt has been known to come loose in some cases allowing the splines to strip out.... if this is the case it is a much cheaper fix than replacing the clutch....

Ride Safe ...Col...

Spyder Garage

Default Possible...

Possible but not likely as the symptoms for that are more noticable as it worsens. If so and you only needed to change the front sprocket and bolt you are right, it is a cheaper fix but if in fact you can no longer move you will have damaged the splines on the output shaft and that will be a very expensive repair...The best scenario would be the wrong oil or the plates have failed.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ccol View Post
    "The Spider will not move as there is only a scraping sound as the clutch tries to engage."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This may not a clutch problem ... if you are hearing a scraping sound... may be worth checking the front drive pulley ... the retaining bolt has been known to come loose in some cases allowing the splines to strip out.... if this is the case it is a much cheaper fix than replacing the clutch....

Ride Safe ...Col...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black