Spyder Garage

Default How do you slide the rear tire over in an enclosed trailer? 16 rts

got to be a better way...any suggestions are welcome.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SLIDE

I've been very successful by putting down a piece of sheet metal..... then another piece on top of it ..... the sheet metal will stick to the floor and the bottom of the tire, but will slide between the sheets ..... if the bottom piece is 12 X 18 0r longer ... that's how far the rear tire will move ..... Oh and the rear tire must go the sheet metal .............. Mike

Spyder Garage

Grab the passenger handgripl and in a quick motion, push down and on the rebound of the suspension, pull the bike over
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Grab the handgrips and yank.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I've been very successful by putting down a piece of sheet metal..... then another piece on top of it ..... the sheet metal will stick to the floor and the bottom of the tire, but will slide between the sheets ..... if the bottom piece is 12 X 18 0r longer ... that's how far the rear tire will move ..... Oh and the rear tire must go the sheet metal .............. Mike

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

WD40 works for me.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by marty1096 View Post
    got to be a better way...any suggestions are welcome.
    Put down a piece of carpet. Put a piece of plywood with 4 plastic furniture sliders attached to the plywood. Drive onto the plywood and just slide it over.

Spyder Garage

Default depends....

How often will you be doing this..?? Harbor freight has a pump wheel dolly. Pump the pedal to raise the wheel and roll it around release to stop it from rolling..a bit more costly than Mike's two pieces of sheet metal....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Some good options already presented, here's another couple that havd worked for me.

Have you got a smooth metal or polished wood floor in your enclosed trailer?? Drop a non-slip floor mat/carpet square upside down on the floor where the rear tire stops when you ride it in (before you move it across) & make sure the non-slip stuff is UP & the carpet side is DOWN on the smooth/polished floor & make sure the rear tire is parked on/about the centre of the carpet/mat - then you can just grab a grab rail up the back & slide the rear of the bike across, easy as!! The non-slip bit hangs onto the tire while the carpet/mat slides readily on the smooth polished floor. Pushing down on the suspension then releasing it only to pull sideways on the bike as the suspension unloads will help, but usually it really doesn't take much to make even the heaviest bike slide sideways on a relatively smooth floor.

Now, if your trailer floor is chequerplate or rough sawn wood or is otherwise only about as smooth as USN or RAN issued Pussers' deck tread, then it's gonna be more expensive whatever way you go - but I reckon your best bet is to look at the jack-up dolly type wheel options - ride it into the trailer, stop, fit the dolly, jack thdd rear tire up, push the bike sideways, release the dolly jack, strap the bike down, job done!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-02-2017 at 02:36 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Default Slide

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Sorry it took so long to get back with you.

I wanted you to know the slide did work for me "today". We just tried it.

However, what I thought was going to be another RT or RTL purchase for the sometimes weak kneed man that I love ended as we walked in a warehouse full of used mc's and can ams....because all of a sudden his demeanor was like a dog seeing a squirrel. All bets were off for buying anything. He saw a 1999 Valkryie with a gold wing engine with 6 carbs. So the guy told him 4700 and he told him ok he would come back and look after they cleaned it up and put on a new front tire....guy called him a week later and told him his bike was ready for $7500...uh no, he said and hung up. Disillusioned he went to online sales by private owner and came up with a 1997 Valkryie no. 175 off line first year manufactured. One owner 26,000 mi. On his 32 hour reset from driving semi he drove from az to ca to pick up his love. This weekend we changed out all the fluids..clutch, rear end, oil, antifreeze. So I have to wait for him again to commit to riding a 3 wheeler...the day will come I just have to be patient. In the meantime, we do know the "slide" advice you gave works well for our 8.5 x 16 enclosed low hauler.
    Thank You and Happy New Year!
    p.s. Do you happen to know of a cooler (air conditioner) we could put inside our low hauler edge trailer...a portable that we can bolt down. I think it will primarily be used to load up the trailer in 115 deg heat...