Spyder Garage

Default Can anyone help??

We have our Spyder (7600 miles) at the dealership for an oil leak. They called today to say its the oil pan gasket, which they say means they have to pull the engine out to fix it. Anyone have any experience with this problem??
    The dealer also told us that their mechanic has never worked on a problem this extensive before? Said its a 3 day job. Not sure we trust them to tackle it.

It also has a coolant leak that they can't locate and has been giving us a Limp Home mode twice with the code saying its an issue with the brake light switch.

Does anyone know of a GOOD, EXPERIENCED dealership in the New England or New York area where we could take our Spyder for this repair?? Can anyone help?? Thank you.
    Nate and Lori

2021 Spyder RT Limited--Deep Marsala Red--Chrome Edition

[/B]​Nelson-Rigg half cover, Hopnel side bags and trunk liner bags, , Driver's Backrest, BRP Trailer hitch and control module, 131 DB horn from TricLED, "Shadow" trailer from Mini Trailer USA,

Spyder Garage

Bob's skidoo in Easton works on my spider and quad give them a call

Spyder Garage

Arctic Adventures in Rosendale NY, Land 'N Sea Marine, in Waterbury,CT, were mentioned in the I'm Fed Up thread as being good dealers in the area. Have you checked the Spydercodes app for others closest to you?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer...!

Hope you can find another dealer cause if this one can't find the coolant leak I wonder if they have the right oil leak. always good to get a second opinion if in doubt..you have suggestions aboveto try out...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I am sorry to hear you are having this problem. I spoke to both of you briefly on the Mt. Equinox ride at Spyderquest 2016. Seymour's Motorized Sports in Cohoes, NY did the 2013 high heat recall work on my spyder and they did a great job.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

I wonder how a Can Am Dealer doesn't have an experienced tech to service the bikes they sell. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence for long term ownership of the bike. I sure hope you can get it to a qualified dealer, I wonder if the oil leak repair is really the correct call?

Spyder Garage

Freedom Cycle in Concord NH

Spyder Garage

Definitely get a second opinion before they yank that motor. Did they happen to clean the oil from the leak and add dye to determine where it is actually leaking? I would find a dealer with a Master Spyder tech if that motor truly has to come out.

Gunner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The 1330 doesn't break enough for many techs to have experience pulling the engine. My shop had to order an engine removal tool before they could pull mine.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you!

Thanks to all who offered support and advice and dealer recommendations. Captgeorge, we've taken your advice and have the Spyder at Bob's Skidoo in Easton, MA Just dropped it off today, and are very impressed with the fact that all they sell are BRP products, have been in business since the 60's, and have master techs with many years of experienced who were trained in Valcourt. They have experience with wrecks, pulling engines, big and small jobs! They know Spyder's!!
    Let's see what they can do for us.

Thanks again everyone!
    Nate and Lori

[/B]​Nelson-Rigg half cover, Hopnel side bags and trunk liner bags, , Driver's Backrest, BRP Trailer hitch and control module, 131 DB horn from TricLED, "Shadow" trailer from Mini Trailer USA,

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    I wonder how a Can Am Dealer doesn't have an experienced tech to service the bikes they sell. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence for long term ownership of the bike. I sure hope you can get it to a qualified dealer, I wonder if the oil leak repair is really the correct call?
    There is some of that going around. Checking on that before making a purchase may help to weed out the substandard dealers.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Asking to talk with the mechanic or mechanics is a good way to find out if they have any techs. The dealership usually proudly displays the certificates of those who had the "proper" training. Checking the years on the dates and talking to the actual person would also help to verify.

I know a dealer that proudly displays the Platinum dealer designation. However, that was in 2012.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Marks motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderBears View Post
    We have our Spyder (7600 miles) at the dealership for an oil leak. They called today to say its the oil pan gasket, which they say means they have to pull the engine out to fix it. Anyone have any experience with this problem??
    The dealer also told us that their mechanic has never worked on a problem this extensive before? Said its a 3 day job. Not sure we trust them to tackle it.

It also has a coolant leak that they can't locate and has been giving us a Limp Home mode twice with the code saying its an issue with the brake light switch.

Does anyone know of a GOOD, EXPERIENCED dealership in the New England or New York area where we could take our Spyder for this repair?? Can anyone help?? Thank you.
    I have had good luck with Marks motorsports in Enfield CT. almost on the Mass. line rt.5
    Leon
    2022 marsala red RTL
    AND

2014 RT S SE-6 COGNAC, 2010 RT 622 TRAILER TIMELESS BLACK
    BRP trailer hitch, Utopia back rest, Baja Ron sway bar , heim links. Elka stage 2 shocks front and rear.
    TricLed fender lights, saddlebag lights and mirror lights. LED headlights and fog lights, Wide vu mirrors.
    spyderpops LED bumpskid ,zippered cargo bag linings, Laser Alignment by Netzleys Tire, Stebal air horn
    stant gas cap,( Dimple oil plugs REMOVED ) JT dash mount.
    (Onboard) Lamonster Garage air compressor and intelliboost charger.

Spyder Garage

rode up to bobs yesterday for kicks, seem like nice people.. spoke to the owners sister asked about mechanics most have been there for a very long time.. The only thing that i wondered about, was i asked them if they did laser alignments. They said they did but i checked sypder comfort and they are not listed as having the equipment.. I told them if they have it to start to advertise the fact that they do
    JIM EVANS
    2014 RTL, cb,all panels color matched over 300 LEDs, pass armrests sat radio chrome WS brkt, larger w.s, more to come

Spyder Garage

Default Limp Mode Issue

My 2016 F3 Limited had the brake limp mode thing happen to it just after 2500 miles. It was an adjustment that had to be made with the switch and also in BUDS. that was a fairly easy fix at dealer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderBears View Post
    Thanks to all who offered support and advice and dealer recommendations. Captgeorge, we've taken your advice and have the Spyder at Bob's Skidoo in Easton, MA Just dropped it off today, and are very impressed with the fact that all they sell are BRP products, have been in business since the 60's, and have master techs with many years of experienced who were trained in Valcourt. They have experience with wrecks, pulling engines, big and small jobs! They know Spyder's!!
    Let's see what they can do for us.

Thanks again everyone!
    In 2009 my wife and I rode around the country doing a Bucket List. By the time we got to Mass. our rear tire was getting a bit slick. A rider from the Cape called his dealer, Bob, and rode with us to get the tire changed. Bob's is a family owned business and is not a "fast buck" conglomerate operating for your money. When you see him again tell him Dudley and Jennifer from California say "Hi". Remind him we were there in 2009 with a customer from Mashpee.
    Last edited by Dudley; 10-08-2017 at 12:31 PM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

SpyderBears, How did you make out?
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bensonoid View Post
    SpyderBears, How did you make out?

Spyder is still at Bob's Skidoo. A few weeks ago they called to say they'd cleaned it all up, took it around the block for a few test drives, let it idle, and no leaks can be found. We drove the 3 hour trip with our trailer to pick it up and decided to take it out ourselves since it was a beautiful day. Drove it for about an hour and stopped to check, and , sure enough, its leaking. Took it back to Bob's and both the service manager and tech got underneath and can see it actively leaking.......so... mixed blessings I guess.
    Had to leave it there, but were encouraged that they actually saw it leaking. They cleaned it up again, and at BRP's suggestion, "powdered" it (not sure exactly how that happens) and took it for a long ride to see if it would leak for them. For some reason, it needs a good long ride not just a buzz around the block to get the leak going.
    Anyway, they found that the oil tank cover is where the leak is coming from and BRP is sending them the part to replace the whole oil tank. May or may not have to pull the engine to do the job. The part was due yesterday, so we're waiting to hear.
    We're hoping for some weather at least in the 40's so we can take it for a good long ride once we get it back to convince ourselves that the leak is indeed fixed.
    Thanks for asking, Bensonoid.
    Nate and Lori

Spyder Garage

Default WOW!!!

What an ordeal.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Default Powder

I've used the powder technique on my V-Max to find a mysterious leak. Ya---- a Yamaha actually leaked oil. It was on the top of the left side engine cover at the gasket. But would only leak a higher revs on a hot motor.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Powder

We Did this (powder) on Heavy Equipment a lot. IT is just a powder dye that you put in the engine oil and then run or work the Equipment. Then checked with special light to find an oil leak.
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue