Spyder Garage

Default Front tires for a 2012 rt limited

Looking for recommendations for long wearing front and rear tires for my 2012 rt limited.... Maybe auto tires instead of motorcycle..... tire size is 165/65/14
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

On my 2011 RTS I am running General Altimax Rt43s on front. I really lIke them. The size is a little larger. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default FRONT TIRES

Quote Originally Posted by Ramrover View Post
    Looking for recommendations for long wearing front and rear tires for my 2012 rt limited.... Maybe auto tires instead of motorcycle..... tire size is 165/65/14
    IMHO there should be no " maybe " about it ..... I have done quite a bit of research on Tires . I don't like the Kenda brand for many reasons ..... but they aren't bad for the front .... however they are Expensive compared to practically every compatible car size tire .... just for that reason alone get car tires ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

When I had my 08, same front tire size, I ran the Altimax on the front and was very pleased with them.

For a longer lasting rear, on my 2014 I'm currently running a Cooper Tire CS5 Ultra Touring. It is a harder compound than most people are running, but so far (about 10,000 miles) is running well under a variety of conditions and handles very well. As stated many times in other threads, with car tires you do have to lower the inflation pressure, but otherwise it has been a fantastic tire for about $80 to your door.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ramrover View Post
    The search feature should give you more information/opinions than you ever wanted to see !!

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had 185/60/14 Generals on my 2012 RT. If you want to stay with stock size many use Bridgestone Potenzas.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default What tire sizes will fit a 2012 RTLimited front and back.....

I know the standard size, but the selections are very limited.... What sizes beside the 165/65/14 will fit my 2012 RT Limited.... Also what sizes will fit the rear other than stock....Thanks for any advice...

Spyder Garage

Default Tire Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    I had 185/60/14 Generals on my 2012 RT. If you want to stay with stock size many use Bridgestone Potenzas.
    What kind of mileage do you have on the Generals. I have the same bike, and would like to know if you had to make any adjustment for the width of the 185 tire....Thanks for any info....

Spyder Garage

Default Wheel setback

I just had a nightmare experience. 175/65/14 barum tires, installed on a spare set of 3spoke rims, so I had the 6 spokes and original shaky kendas as backup. Everything seemed fine going on, but 1/2 mile into the test ride all heck broke loose. All kinds of warnings, and locked into first gear. After getting home, it wouldn’t even go into first. Massive fender support rubbing, to the point of eating the wiring and shorting it out. After fixing the light wires and replacing the fuse, all is well, all alarms off, moves fine, on the original tires.
    Lots of shim would be required to make this work, which made no sense. So, on a whim, I measured the wheel backspacing. Both sets of rims are 14x5, but the 3 spoke wheel has 1/2 inch more backspace! To the outside of the rim, the 6 spoke wheels are 3 5/8” backspace. The 3 spoke wheels are 4 1/8-4 1/2” backspace.
    Now I see the problem! I picked up the 3 spoke wheels cheap, never imagined they would be a different offset.
    2012 RT-S Pure Magnesium Metallic, Web Boards in Black Line-X Closed pattern, Bajaron sway bar and links, Spyderpop's Bump Skid, GloRyder remote controlled lights, show chrome rear rack, cargo nets in the all three rear bags, more to come........

Spyder Garage

Default Double Dark Sider with pressure questions.

Quote Originally Posted by safecracker View Post
    On my 2011 RTS I am running General Altimax Rt43s on front. I really lIke them. The size is a little larger. Bruce
    I have same rear tire on my 2014 RT. I just bought the Spyder a month ago and I need to determine the correct pressure. Right now it is at 23.5 @72 deg f. Question is, what pressure should I run?

Let me tag this on too... I have Federal Formoza A201 in the front, currently at 16 psi @72 f. Can anyone help me with proper pressure to start out with? Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Car tires on any Spyder for best performance should have 17 - 18 psi in rear 14 -15 in the front ....@ 16 psi your fine ........The more pressure in car tire on a Spyder is going to reduce traction W & D ...plus the ride will suffer ...... Mike

Thanks Mike. (for your msg too). I ran car tires on my Goldwing as well... great performance. On the Spyder, I will be tracking tire wear across the tire, as well as pressure, temp, mileage, date. I dunno what I'll learn, but I'm born to look at the data! Also, the rear has a bit more wear in the center so that probably validates your 17-18 psi in the rear figures. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by reverendg View Post
    I just had a nightmare experience. 175/65/14 barum tires, installed on a spare set of 3spoke rims, so I had the 6 spokes and original shaky kendas as backup. Everything seemed fine going on, but 1/2 mile into the test ride all heck broke loose. All kinds of warnings, and locked into first gear. After getting home, it wouldn’t even go into first. Massive fender support rubbing, to the point of eating the wiring and shorting it out. After fixing the light wires and replacing the fuse, all is well, all alarms off, moves fine, on the original tires.
    Lots of shim would be required to make this work, which made no sense. So, on a whim, I measured the wheel backspacing. Both sets of rims are 14x5, but the 3 spoke wheel has 1/2 inch more backspace! To the outside of the rim, the 6 spoke wheels are 3 5/8” backspace. The 3 spoke wheels are 4 1/8-4 1/2” backspace.
    Now I see the problem! I picked up the 3 spoke wheels cheap, never imagined they would be a different offset.
    I'm running 175/65/14 on my 3 spoke rims on my 08 GS Spyder and not having any problems at all. But the 3 spokes came on my Sypder. I didn't know there was any difference myself. Thanks for the info on the rims.
    David

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    I'm running 175/65/14 on my 3 spoke rims on my 08 GS Spyder and not having any problems at all. But the 3 spokes came on my Sypder. I didn't know there was any difference myself. Thanks for the info on the rims.
    David
    GS/RS 14 inch rims have different backset then RT 14 inch rims. 2013 went to 15 inch rims with the same backset for all models.

2018 F3 LIMITED