Spyder Garage

Default airbag not inflating on my 2010 rt techno amended

Hi all I posted eirlier about my airbag, but now I explain it in detail.I arrived home yesterday after my RT SE5 Techno was serviced and I went to inflate my airbag with a hand held pump. I can't get air into the airbag and the reading was zero when I put a digital air pressure gauge on top of the Schrader Valve. This model Spyder can only be inflated manualy because it does not have the on bard compressor like the RTS. It feels like the airbag is blocked and will not let air in. The Schrader valve is working and the hose going down to the top part of the airbag is not blocked. there is a problem at the fitting on top of the airbag I think. Regards Peter

Spyder Garage

What exactly did they do during the servicing??

It sounds like whoever was working around the back end has kinked or cramped the air hose so that it no longer lets air thru. If you look at the parts fiche, it shows you that those Spyders without a compressor pretty much have a straight shot for a single length of hose to run from the Schraeder valve directly to the top of the air bag. Seeing that fiche pic, & bearing in mind that you told us earlier that you tried to put air in after you'd completely removed the valve (so it shouldn't be a blocked valve) then I cannot perceive any way that they could solidly block off the air bag itself, so I believe it's gotta be the hose that's blocked or been clamped in or between something the service bods had taken off & then put back & tightened it up..... I don't really see much else that would give you the symptoms described - unless maybe someone jammed a ball bearing into one end of the air hose??
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-29-2017 at 06:01 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BLOCKED AIR HOSE

I know BRP tells you to use a hand pump ( because it can blow-up if over pressurized ) ..... That being said ...I don't own a hand pump so I use either my compressor and sometimes the one at the Gas station ........ What I do is just to use it like a switch On / Off very quickly ... If the hose isn't blocked the rear of the RT will rise instantly but only slightly .... if this doesn't work either your bag has a Large hole in it or something is blocking in the hose .............. good luck ... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by peterRT View Post
    Hi all I posted eirlier about my airbag, but now I explain it in detail.
    It would be MUCH better if you just posted the additional details in the first thread that you started.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    It would be MUCH better if you just posted the additional details in the first thread that you started.
    Hi mate", sorry about that. So does that mean that there is so MUCH resistance that you can't pump the pump at all ??

Does the pump work when not connected........or when connected to something else ?

Details are important.

Yes their is so much resistance that I can't pump at all.

The pump works when I connect it to the two front tyres on the spyder

Yes it works when connected to other things,

regards Peter

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I know BRP tells you to use a hand pump ( because it can blow-up if over pressurized ) ..... That being said ...I don't own a hand pump so I use either my compressor and sometimes the one at the Gas station ........ What I do is just to use it like a switch On / Off very quickly ... If the hose isn't blocked the rear of the RT will rise instantly but only slightly .... if this doesn't work either your bag has a Large hole in it or something is blocking in the hose .............. good luck ... Mike
    Hi Mike", I think something is blocking the hose because when I connect the pump to the schrader valve under the seat and try to inflate airbag, no air goes in. It's like their is a blockage. I keep all posted about the issue,

regards Peter

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post

It sounds like whoever was working around the back end has kinked or cramped the air hose so that it no longer lets air thru. If you look at the parts fiche, it shows you that those Spyders without a compressor pretty much have a straight shot for a single length of hose to run from the Schraeder valve directly to the top of the air bag. Seeing that fiche pic, & bearing in mind that you told us earlier that you tried to put air in after you'd completely removed the valve (so it shouldn't be a blocked valve) then I cannot perceive any way that they could solidly block off the air bag itself, so I believe it's gotta be the hose that's blocked or been clamped in or between something the service bods had taken off & then put back & tightened it up..... I don't really see much else that would give you the symptoms described - unless maybe someone jammed a ball bearing into one end of the air hose??
    Hi Peter I think that you may be right because it was working ok a couple of weeks ago, and I keep all here posted on what the problem is

Regards Peter

Spyder Garage

Hi Peter", it was the 45000 kms service and I think they would have had the back wheel off. I had the coolant leak fixed and it was the 2 hoses at the top of the engine on the right hand side that were leaking. spark plugs changed. oil and filters changed. etc

regards Peter

Spyder Garage

Default RT airbag not inflating

Hi Peter", took the Spyder to the bike shop today and the airbag has to be replaced. It will be replaced under extended warranty. This is and was a known issue with this Spyder and BRP said that on the phone

Regards Peter