Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member SteveLaoyster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    I have a carby HD. The blip is done before taking off from a stop so it doesn't stall. That has already been discussed here.

In the carburetor days, you had to warm the engine up before riding or you'll have a cranky, stuttering ride. At least that's how my Evo acts.
    I did find that by putting Iridium plugs on both my HD's shortened my warm up time significantly.
    AKA Jud Smales, Four Year Spyder Ryder!
    "Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati"

The Critter 2016 RT-S
    Cat Bypass from Lamonster
    BajaRon Sway Bar
    Hella dual horns with relay
    BRP Hitch with trailer module
    Foam Grips
    Adjustable Air Deflectors
    Driver & Passenger Gel Pads in Seat
    Shorty antenna
    Ultraguard half cover
    Gremlin bell from my son
    Break Stripe Kit from Wrap My Spyder
    2016 RT-S , stock not yet Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Our fleet of many different tastes...

I have (and still regularly ride) a 75 FX-E that looks like an FL (created by my late brother who was somewhat confused). When I took over custody and care it had an old S & S 2 throat that he SWORE worked perfectly. I could not agree LESS - so I replaced it with a S & S Super E. Allegedly the BEST S & S ever... Bottom line? Taking off you've got to give it a bit of throttle and feed out the clutch perfectly or you sit there and wonder what happened. My thought? Old Harleys are just plain ornery - and I would love to find a way to hang EFI on the 'ol shovel just to see how good it could get.

Which explains a lot of why we have 2 RTs for the days when the Harley gets fussy!
    Chris Kovachevich, CDS
    Independence, MO

HOG # US5032392
    BCA #47866

Growing old is mandatory; growing UP is optional!

Spyder Garage

My 99 and 2003 Harleys have carburetors and I just pull the choke, start the bike and ride off with no issue.
    I do not have to let them "warm up" to ride.
    I am old school and I have always worked with carburetors and if they are adjusted right you can set the choke, start the car/motorcycle and go.
    No need to let them warm up.
    2015 RTs , Black

Spyder Garage

Well, since we are here now, another HD question............why all the black t-shirts and/or black vests?
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

I have a neighbor with a Harley that lets hers warm up for about 15 minutes before she rides. My next door neighbor with a V Star does the same thing. I know the V Star will stall out if he doesn't warm it up. Quite frankly, it sounds like it's sick all the time (the bike, not the neighbor ). Both bikes sound like they have mechanical issues.....
    Magnesium 2011 RS SE5

Very Active Member BoilerAnimal's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mxz600 View Post
    Not sure why they let them idle for 15 minutes, but this is why they throttle them up and down.

Well color me a moron. Everything I have has an aftermarket exhaust (except my sleds. That pipe dumps out down by my right foot, the noise can be excruciating). I love the sound of unbridled HP and it just is not the same with a quiet exhaust. In fact I just love loud stuff. I watch my movies loud, listen to loud music, love to shoot my guns and blow stuff up (boom boom, exploding targets anyone). I am the neighbor from hell.

I used to. Now I use hearing aids to hear what I used to be able to hear before I damaged my hearing. Now I limit the volume of everything that I can. Too little, too late, however.
    On the road again...........and forever young!

2013 RT-S SE 5

Yesterday is a cancelled check.
    Tomorrow is a promissory note.
    Today is cash.......spend it wisely.

Spyder Garage

Please accept the Big Pete comeback of the day award, asp. That is just brilliant...you've made my day.....thanks.....Pete

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Old HDs with carbs might need some blipping to clear its throat. Those with EFI just like the noise. Just like those sport bikers who don't know when to shift; hitting the rev limiter in each gear. But seriously guys, how many of you pull these out of the drawer and give these a squeeze or two before using?
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARNIE R View Post
    Well, since we are here now, another HD question............why all the black t-shirts and/or black vests?
    Pink and purple just does not cut it.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-28-2017 at 02:54 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vampyregirl View Post
    I have a neighbor with a Harley that lets hers warm up for about 15 minutes before she rides. My next door neighbor with a V Star does the same thing. I know the V Star will stall out if he doesn't warm it up. Quite frankly, it sounds like it's sick all the time (the bike, not the neighbor ). Both bikes sound like they have mechanical issues.....

I started this and and it has all been very interesting, thank you.

What I find interesting in so many of the posts is that so many people have, did, or know someone, that does this long warm up thing, especially like my neighbors on newer HD machines.

We are talking ten to fifteen minutes, while the delay for start on the Spyder is 15 seconds. And people bitch like crazy about it to the point of being angry!

It is a Mad, Mad, Mad World out there.

Joe
    Last edited by Buckeye Bleau; 09-28-2017 at 06:13 AM.
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARNIE R View Post
    Because black doesn't show road grime. I wore a white t-shirt riding once and the front was a medium grey by the end of the ride. That was back before using a windshield, but I still wear dark shirts while riding now.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Potato Noise

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLaoyster View Post
    The way I understand it is a HD with a carb doesn't pull quite enough air/fuel mixture at idle and that gives it the potato noise with an occasional miss.

Blipping the throttle before taking off insures that the bike doesn't stall. Yes, I did experience this with both my HD's.

Once HD put the EFI on the bikes, this problem disappeared. No need to blip the gas anymore. Just a macho thing IMO.
    I think it's actually caused by the firing timeing (?). But I may be wrong on that ..... Mike

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

as those young rascals said about them on south park, they are fags

Spyder Garage

Here's To A Great Riding Season, Snowmobile That Is

"​Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
    Give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish"

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mxz600 View Post
    yes that is the ones that the word was redefined for

Spyder Garage

And you folks talk about those snotty HD folks

3........2..........1..........fire

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

had two Harleys, a Softtail Classic and a Road King.
    Neither one needed to warm up for more than a minute or two. Then driven slowly for a few min. to get it warm.
    20W 50 oil in the engine and 75-90 gear oil in the trans, never had an issue.
    15 minute warm-ups are probably more like 5, they're just so darn loud it seems longer. The engine would be very near overheating if it idled for 15 min.
    Blipping is a throwback to when bikes (not only Harleys) didn't idle well and a quick blip kept them going.
    The practice today likely has nothing to do with that, it's just because the rider thinks he/she has to and it's cool.

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    had two Harleys, a Softtail Classic and a Road King.
    Neither one needed to warm up for more than a minute or two. Then driven slowly for a few min. to get it warm.
    20W 50 oil in the engine and 75-90 gear oil in the trans, never had an issue.
    15 minute warm-ups are probably more like 5, they're just so darn loud it seems longer. The engine would be very near overheating if it idled for 15 min.
    Blipping is a throwback to when bikes (not only Harleys) didn't idle well and a quick blip kept them going.
    The practice today likely has nothing to do with that, it's just because the rider thinks he/she has to and it's cool.

Correct. The blipping was to keep the older bikes running. The new ones are fuel injected and do not need any blipping. A short warm up, while i put on my jacket and helmet, and ride away.

Spyder Garage

The blipping when letting out the clutch on older bikes (all of them, not just HD) did indeed clear the carb a bit so it wouldn't stall. Totally unnecessary these days.

But, I have a buddy who does it from every stop on his 17 HD FLQRPLSMFT. I have a great time asking him when HD is finally going to go with fuel injection so he can stop that annoying blipping.

2014 RT-S Cognac
    2008 Victory Vision
    Iron Butt Assn #23572
    Victory Motorcycle Club #533

Spyder Garage

Default So much love for HD riders

I don’t have to warm up my HD any more than my spyder. I use to have to let my V-Star warm for a while especially in the cold.
    2015 F3S SE6
    You don't stop riding because you get old, you get old because you stop riding

2015 F3s , Orange/black

Spyder Garage

Scenario...

Traffic lite....

Side by side...or, behind me....

First throttle blip, loud.....

Second throttle blip, louder and longer...

Third throttle blip, can't hear myself think.....

Fourth one, Geez, can't the lite just turn green and let this guy go ahead......?
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

When I met my husband, he owned a HD, and I rode on the back with him for about 5 years. Then I found scooters, and went from a small scooter, to a medium size, then a large one.

My scooter club always loved that he rode sweep with us, and the loud pipes kept the cagers off our butts.

He loved his loud pipes, and it is a 'Harley' thing. But he wasn't one to sit and rev the throttle over and over. That is not a 'Harley' thing, but a show of testosterone ☺

When my husband passed away almost a year ago, we buried his favorite belt buckle with him, which read 'Live Free, Ride Free'. Now I see Spyder memorabilia that reads ' Live Free, Ryde Free'. He would have loved that

P.S. As you can see, my avatar is HD. It will forever be a part of my life
    Live Laugh Love 💞

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Maddoggie501 View Post
    Correct. The blipping was to keep the older bikes running. The new ones are fuel injected and do not need any blipping. A short warm up, while i put on my jacket and helmet, and ride away.
    Maybe it's so the HD rider can keep the fillings in his teeth from vibrating out? I always laugh my butt off when I'm stopped next to a HD at a traffic light and you can't even read the license plate because it's a vibrating blur. That can't be comfortable if its transmitted to the rider.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by classicvw View Post
    Maybe it's so the HD rider can keep the fillings in his teeth from vibrating out? I always laugh my butt off when I'm stopped next to a HD at a traffic light and you can't even read the license plate because it's a vibrating blur. That can't be comfortable if its transmitted to the rider.

that vibration is on the rubber mounted engines
    above 1500 rpm or so when riding it is not felt by the rider

2017 F3, SM6-basic black, plain and simple

Spyder Garage

Default Street Vibrations

Reno has Street Vibrations!!!! Thousands of bikes in town. 2 fatalities so far. My bikes stay in the garage this weekend.

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    that vibration is on the rubber mounted engine

above 1500 rpm or so when riding it is not felt by the rider
    I just purchased a 2018 Softail Slim with the 107 motor. It has dual counter balancers. Nothing shakes at idle.