Spyder Garage

Default Battery and Tenders

I'm now on my 3rd battery for 2010 RT-S, seems 2+ is about as good as it's going to get, but what does suprize me is the short term... if I happen to forget to put it on the tender it's dead in a weeks time, a quick overnight charge brings it back to life, but is this normal? I keep bringing this to the attention of my service tech at dealership and all he says is "there's a lot of stuff going on in the background pulling power... keep it on a tender"

Spyder Bytes: Kury ISO Grips, GL1500 Windshield Vent w/ accent, Heel-Toe Shifter(inspectorgadget), HMT Brake Light, 12v outlet in frunk, GPS-Phone mount w/ case(techmounts.com), seat seal, Right Side Grill Covers(customdynamics.com), Fan Can10(ISCIrides.com), CAT Shields(SpyderPops.com), Elka Shocks, PressurePro TPMS, Cobra CB....and of course Cup Holders(mycupholders.com)

Spyder Garage

If it's not running, plug it in. Besides the constant draw on the battery. A battery will start to sulfate if not on a trickle charger. So, plug it in. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery tender

I have used Deltran Battery Tenders exclusively for many years. I used them on a car and a motorcycle while we were in Florida for 5 months of winter. Never had a failure to start in the spring.

Spyder Garage

Default I got

6 years out of my OEM battery in my 2010 RTSE5, never kept it on a battery maintainer, However I only got 13 months out of the replacement but that was in HOT SW Florida. I still do not put it on a maintainer but it is driven daily since it is the only vehicle I have other than a motor home in storage.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Gunns View Post
    I'm now on my 3rd battery for 2010 RT-S, seems 2+ is about as good as it's going to get, but what does suprize me is the short term... if I happen to forget to put it on the tender it's dead in a weeks time, a quick overnight charge brings it back to life, but is this normal? I keep bringing this to the attention of my service tech at dealership and all he says is "there's a lot of stuff going on in the background pulling power... keep it on a tender"

Spyder Garage

If you killed it once you probably damaged it and thus it will never be as good and won't last long. If you have a tender,,, use it all the time. A BATTERY TENDER is not a TRICKEL CHARGER!
    If you don't change anything,,,
    nothing is going to change!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by timeless View Post
    6 years out of my OEM battery in my 2010 RTSE5, never kept it on a battery maintainer, However I only got 13 months out of the replacement but that was in HOT SW Florida. I still do not put it on a maintainer but it is driven daily since it is the only vehicle I have other than a motor home in storage.

If you use it every day,,, keeping it on a tender is certainly not needed.

SiverFox
    If you don't change anything,,,
    nothing is going to change!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    A battery will start to sulfate if not on a trickle charger.
    Can't let this go by without a couple of comments.

IF.....the machine is ridden at least every few days for a decent amount of miles (10+), there is really no need for an external charger.

IF.....the machine has an AGM battery, which I believe all the newer ones do, sulfation will NOT be a problem unless it is allowed to go stone cold dead.
    AGMs don't suffer from the condition like wet-cell types do.

Then there is the charger: Anything marked as a "trickle charger" is NOT good to leave connected all the time. It could do more harm than good.
    You need a small tender-type fully automatic charger.

Spyder Garage

I was told to only put it on the charger if it not going to be driven for an extended period of time. Mine sat for a week without turning it on and it fired right up. I think you may have another issue.

Jim
    2012 Can am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Chevy Camaro SS