Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NUMBER OF MILES - AFTER - THE LOW WARNING COMES ON

In 8 years since I started owning Spyders , I had never run out of Gas ..... until today, I was stretching it, and not going slow to extend my run time .... actually I was still Cranking ( like to pass etc. ).... from the time the Low Light stayed on steadily , I went another 40 miles ( 2014 RT ) .... if I had slowed down I think it would have been 45..... after it shut down, I hit the " kill " switch and rolled to a stop off the road .... I emptied my Sauza Tequila bottle ( 750 ml. ) and traveled another 8 miles and got a fill-up ...6.5 gal,.... Mike

Spyder Garage

After finally finding the bottom of the tank, I hope you emptied the Sauza in the appropriate orifice.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    In 8 years since I started owning Spyders , I had never run out of Gas ..... until today, I was stretching it, and not going slow to extend my run time .... actually I was still Cranking ( like to pass etc. ).... from the time the Low Light stayed on steadily , I went another 40 miles ( 2014 RT ) .... if I had slowed down I think it would have been 45..... after it shut down, I hit the " kill " switch and rolled to a stop off the road .... I emptied my Sauza Tequila bottle ( 750 ml. ) and traveled another 8 miles and got a fill-up ...6.5 gal,.... Mike
    I have always been warned not to let an injected engine run out of gas as damage to the injectors could result.

Spyder Garage

Default Always do....

I have run all my bikes all the way to empty. That way when the light comes on I set the trip and know how far I can go. Like you I have a liter fuel bottle just in case.. but mine is a fuel bottle metal.... no mistakes....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

It is pretty easy math. Ride it until the light come on. Fill it up. Subtract the gallons it took to fill it up from how many gallons the tank is. I don't remember tank size off the top of my head. Once you do the math, you will know how many gallons you had when the light came on. If you keep track of your mileage, you should know what kind of mileage you normally get. Don't go by the computer. Calculate you mileage each time you fill up. Then use your worst mileage you've gotten and multiply it by the gallons of fuel you had when you filled up.

That way way you know how far you can go without running out of gas.
    2016 F3T SM6 - Wife's Bike - Blank Canvas
    2017 Kawasaki Concours 14
    2016 Victory Magnum - Mods in progress
    2013 Suzuki M109R - Has a few mods

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On the F3 the light comes on as soon as the gauge drops to the last bar and I figure that will get me about 25 miles.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My Bike's light would reliably let me know when I had reached a 5.5 gallon fill-up. If you went another 40 or so miles past that: it sure would put you at the 6.5 gallon mark.
    So now you know!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mike, was wondering about that. Have the same Spyder and yesterday on my ride to Red Rock my low fuel light came on and in Utah stations are miles apart. I made it however and took 5.8 gal. Kind of had me worried for a bit, and I haven't ever carried extra fuel. Might be an option.
    American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of GOD.

The Older I get the Better I Was.

Spyder Garage

Default gas

On a recent trip I ran until the last bar showed. It took 6.23 gallons in my '17 FE SE6.
    Too close for me
    [SIGPIC]

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    It is pretty easy math. Ride it until the light come on. Fill it up. Subtract the gallons it took to fill it up from how many gallons the tank is. I don't remember tank size off the top of my head. Once you do the math, you will know how many gallons you had when the light came on. If you keep track of your mileage, you should know what kind of mileage you normally get. Don't go by the computer. Calculate you mileage each time you fill up. Then use your worst mileage you've gotten and multiply it by the gallons of fuel you had when you filled up. That way way you know how far you can go without running out of gas.
    That sounds good in theory and works for me most of the time. But variables like headwinds, road speed, long mountain grades, etc can play havoc with anticipated mpg.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gator37 View Post
    Thanks Mike, was wondering about that. Have the same Spyder and yesterday on my ride to Red Rock my low fuel light came on and in Utah stations are miles apart. I made it however and took 5.8 gal. Kind of had me worried for a bit, and I haven't ever carried extra fuel. Might be an option.
    Nevada is worse. There is one stretch of road that has 206 miles between any services.

How far did you travel between when the warning light came on and the next fillup? Sounds like you had at least 1 gallon left at fillup. My rough calculations indicate 1-1/2 gals at warning light and 1 gallon at the white line.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I led a group of riders on a ride this weekend and when we got to the last gas station that we were going to pass for a good 80 miles I asked the one 998 rider how much gas she had and she said "3 bars" stupid me took that to mean 3/4 tank left and I said OK any one who wants to top off do it now, she chose not to. the route I was taking them was a scenic byway up over a mountain pass that was curvy and about half was single lane . When we stopped at a campground that had a rest room she asked me when the next gas station was and I told her a good 40 miles. She then told me she would not make it , when I said you told me you had 3/4 she said no I said 3 bars I then understood she meant 3/8 tank left. Of course since it was a day ride and I knew the roads I was not packing my extra fuel cell, It was down hill all the way to town and her light was on when got to the station but she made it. That is the big reason I don't pass a gas station if I don't know the route myself. I have always wanted to run mine out then see how far I can make it but never had the nerve, I'm always afraid it will run out on a bad stretch of road.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Nevada is worse. There is one stretch of road that has 206 miles between any services.

How far did you travel between when the warning light came on and the next fillup? Sounds like you had at least 1 gallon left at fillup. My rough calculations indicate 1-1/2 gals at warning light and 1 gallon at the white line.
    Pete, you must have been on Highway 50! I know the stations on Highway 80 are much closer together. We were able to stop every 100 miles or so on 80.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Yeah, rode that Hwy back in July. Gas stations are few and far between.

IMG_0435.jpg

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Pete, you must have been on Highway 50! I know the stations on Highway 80 are much closer together. We were able to stop every 100 miles or so on 80.
    Actually, it was further south. From Caliente to Tonopah. Nothing there.

The ironic part is that I had no problem making it that distance with gas to spare because conditions were ideal. It was the return trip, this time on US-6 and US-50, that I ran out of gas twice, even though the distance between fillups in places was only 165 miles or so, because adverse weather and road conditions gave me much lower mileage than what I was figuring.

I definitely need to start carrying spare gas going through Nevada...
    Last edited by UtahPete; 09-25-2017 at 10:38 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ENGINE DAMAGE

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    I have always been warned not to let an injected engine run out of gas as damage to the injectors could result.
    .... Do you think I did it on Purpose .... ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Question Which road??

Thanks Pete,

I've come close, Nova was a "bit " upset. Got gas in a place called Rattlesnake, in Calif desert.

Kaos

PS: I think that's hwy 6. Some great woops on that road. ( it taken at speed)
    Last edited by Lew L; 09-25-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kaos View Post
    Thanks Pete, I've come close, Nova was a "bit " upset. Got gas in a place called Rattlesnake, in Calif desert. PS: I think that's hwy 6. Some great woops on that road. ( it taken at speed)
    From Panaca (point C) to Tonopah (point D) heading west on my southern route.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7029...FBwo8NZ8jDv5mA
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't let it worry you: Sh... Crap happens!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    That sounds good in theory and works for me most of the time. But variables like headwinds, road speed, long mountain grades, etc can play havoc with anticipated mpg.
    Re-read Poseidon's next to last sentence. Pretty much covers your scenarios.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by classicvw View Post
    Re-read Poseidon's next to last sentence. Pretty much covers your scenarios.
    Yes, but up until then I had been averaging between 36 to 42 mpg at each fillup. My overall for the 2000 mile trip was 36.6 mpg. The stretch where I ran out I got less than 30 mpg.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RinconRyder View Post
    It is not the injectors so much as it is the high pressure fuel pump.......that can't run very long without the liquid fuel to cool it.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

From your post I thought it was intentional BUT my post was not intended to be critical. I was posting the warning (1) to see if it was true (I believe it is) and (2) to warn others who might think there is no problem running out of gas.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    It is not the injectors so much as it is the high pressure fuel pump.......that can't run very long without the liquid fuel to cool it.
    That is true for cars and trucks but I didn't know the Spyder's fuel pump was located inside the gas tank. Probably should have assumed.

Spyder Garage

I normally don't take chances as I do not like being stuck on the side of the highway. The farthest I have ever traveled without stopping was 125 miles. Usually I try and stop about every hundred miles if something is close. I have just never been one to push it.

Jim
    2012 Can am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Chevy Camaro SS