Spyder Garage

Default backfiring increasing....pls help.

Have a 2010 RS. Nothings changed in the last week. Drove a 150 mile ride a week ago, took it today and after 30 min on a warm day... high 80s I noticed backfiring increasing on acceleration and deceleration. Started at third gear but soon it was 1st and 2nd as well. I noticed from first when taking off, it seemed a bit sluggish before backfiring but did not die. No error codes.

Got it home, checked oil which was full but dark.

Could the issue be transmission related or oil because it is darker than normal? Don't want to drive it until I know more.

Spyder Garage

Someone, please correct me if I am wrong (been a while since I did mine).
    Check the exhaust gaskets that connect the header pipes to the muffler. Look under the bike on the right-hand side to see where the y-pipe joins the muffler. The factory gaskets usually give out between 8k to 10k miles or so. Separate the pipes to see. Replace them with Honda Gasket [goldwing]# 18392-MAM-000.

Also, the factory spark plug wires are not the best quality and will fail sooner than you think. If they are original, replace them with Accell wires. Baja Ron (an excellent sponsor on this forum) sells them and Iridium spark plugs.

Another thing to inspect are two short tubes on the left side of the throttle body. If they are factory as well, engine heat will cause them fail in short time. You will need to replace them if you see cracks in the tubing (when the tubing is flexed by hand) with silicon tubing with an internal diameter of 3mm. The length of the hose is critical too, so make sure the replacement tubing is the exact length of the original. I think Napa sells the tubing under part number H466.

If you have an aftermarket exhaust such as HMF, that and those like it need to be repacked every so often, depending on how often you ride it. Blown out packing can also help cause backfiring.
    2010 Full Moon Silver RS SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

+1. I noticed our GS popping on deceleration about the same time as the Y gasket starting to go.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default What they said....

good place to start. The two upper Y gaskets one on each side above the foot pegs. Depending on the muffler there may be one there. There are also seals at the heads but the likely ones are the Y gaskets. Then move on to the plug wires.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Web Runner View Post
    Someone, please correct me if I am wrong (been a while since I did mine).
    Check the exhaust gaskets that connect the header pipes to the muffler. Look under the bike on the right-hand side to see where the y-pipe joins the muffler. The factory gaskets usually give out between 8k to 10k miles or so. Separate the pipes to see. Replace them with Honda Gasket [goldwing]# 18392-MAM-000.

Also, the factory spark plug wires are not the best quality and will fail sooner than you think. If they are original, replace them with Accell wires. Baja Ron (an excellent sponsor on this forum) sells them and Iridium spark plugs.

Another thing to inspect are two short tubes on the left side of the throttle body. If they are factory as well, engine heat will cause them fail in short time. You will need to replace them if you see cracks in the tubing (when the tubing is flexed by hand) with silicon tubing with an internal diameter of 3mm. The length of the hose is critical too, so make sure the replacement tubing is the exact length of the original. I think Napa sells the tubing under part number H466.

If you have an aftermarket exhaust such as HMF, that and those like it need to be repacked every so often, depending on how often you ride it. Blown out packing can also help cause backfiring.
    Ordered the GL1800 gaskets for the Y pipes just to be safe. going to replace them this weekend or later in the week if they come in on time.
    Can they just start acting up right away like that because it was really hot yesterday?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by marcs0809 View Post
    another thought that just came to mind is that i added a new tank of fuel just the night before this ride. possibility I got bad gas but it would run fine for the first 20 miles?
    That could certainly be it. You probably had at least a gallon of good gas in there, so when mixed the bad gas would go a while before causing trouble.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Great tips for everybody to heed and take notes , I did thanks for sharing.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-man View Post
    That could certainly be it. You probably had at least a gallon of good gas in there, so when mixed the bad gas would go a while before causing trouble.

Went and drove another 25 miles tonight trying to burn off that fuel. After 18 miles it started popping again. Looks like I have another behalf tank to go still.....hope it does not harm the engine.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Went and drove another 25 miles tonight trying to burn off that fuel. After 18 miles it started popping again. Looks like I have another behalf tank to go still.....hope it does not harm the engine.
    Either drain the tank and refill with good gas or use a fuel additive with existing 'bad' gas. Can't hurt. Worth a try.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Ordered the GL1800 gaskets for the Y pipes just to be safe. going to replace them this weekend or later in the week if they come in on time.
    Can they just start acting up right away like that because it was really hot yesterday?
    When the gaskets failed on my spyder, I remember it progressing from a pop here and there to quite often within a short time, say about 4 or 5 weeks while riding it every day in cooler weather. When I removed mine, one of the gaskets was almost completely gone, like it disintegrated into dust. The other gasket was mostly in one piece, but badly worn away on one side.
    To answer your question, if your gaskets are just as worn as mine were, I could see it happening.
    2010 Full Moon Silver RS SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

More on the subject. If you notice the heat between your knees is increasing, or exhaust fumes while idling/going slow, it's another indicator that your Y gaskets are failing.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The first thing to check, unless you have evidence of a badly leaking exhaust system, would be the fuel since this started right after he filled the tank. Don't ya think?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Bookmarked for future reference.

So I don't need to ask questions or spend a great deal of time looking, I bookmark as I read the forums and just refer to my bookmarks when there's an issue. Thanks for this one
    2011 Spyder RT-S
    LtCol, USAF Ret
    Proud Patriot Guard Rider
    2011 RT , Yes Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I started checking for exhaust leak, looking at the canister connections and came across the antifreeze reservoir. It only had about an inch of antifreeze in it. Apparently because it was so low, the engine heats up, the computer calls for more fuel to compensate and try to cool the injectors or pistons and makes it run rich therefore causing the backfiring and popping. I filled it up with 50/50 mix and guess what, ran it for 50 miles with only 2 or 3 pops when decelerating. No more crazy wild multiple backfiring.
    Good to know; I wouldn't have thought of that!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Hi marcs,

Re: It only had about an inch of antifreeze in it.

Last year I had something similar. I eventually found a hairline vertical crack in the coolant bottle. It could not be seen unless you pushed at with your finger. But it would leak coolant.

You might just 'push' around and see if there is a crack anywhere.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    More on the subject. If you notice the heat between your knees is increasing, or exhaust fumes while idling/going slow, it's another indicator that your Y gaskets are failing.
    Even though i topped off the antifreeze and it ran better, i took the Y gaskets apart and found the right side one was only in tact half way. missing the other half of the gasket which would explain why it was so hot and i could smell exhaust I suppose.

20170927_105840.jpg

Replacing them today as the new ones are coming in the mail this afternoon. Will let you all know how i make out. Thanks for the comments and feedback as well.

Spyder Garage

Even though i topped off the antifreeze and it ran better, i took the Y gaskets apart and found the right side one was only in tact half way. missing the other half of the gasket which would explain why it was so hot and i could smell exhaust I suppose.

20170927_105840.jpg

Replacing them today as the new ones are coming in the mail this afternoon. Will let you all know how i make out. Thanks for the comments and feedback as well.

PROBLEM SOLVED - TWO GL1800 Y GASKETS REPLACED ON THE Y PIPE AND WHALA! RAN LIKE A CHAMP THE NEXT DAY ON MY 125 MILE CHARITY RYDE. THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE FEEDBACK AND COMMENTS.