Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default my 2015 rts engine with a low RPM knock starting off

My 2015 RTS with the 1330 engine has a consistent knock when I start off from a stop. I use regular Shell or Exxon gas.
    High test gas eliminates it. The computer system is supposed to compensate for lower octane fuel and the manual does not state you must use High test octane gas.
    Has anyone else found this to be an issue.

Bikerjays
    2015 Spyder RTS

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting. ...🤔

Looks like your machine want the good stuff . If this is a first you may have gotten some missed labled gas. Try a different station if always your system for adjusting the mixture may be off. For the buck you save using regular I would just go with the highest they have...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

My 2015 RTL does it all of the time. I have 30k miles on it. Doesn't matter how premium the premium is, if my bike is warm it detonates on initial acceleration. I am not necessarily happy about this, but I haven't found a solution.

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=bikerjays;1303208]My 2015 RTS with the 1330 engine has a consistent knock when I start off from a stop. I use regular Shell or Exxon gas.
    High test gas eliminates it. The computer system is supposed to compensate for lower octane fuel and the manual does not state you must use High test octane gas.

Bikerjays
    2015 Spyder

My 2016 RT Limited also pings on take off on 87 Octane, any brand. But only a couple of seconds, then is fine. I started using it when Premium increased 75 cents per U.S. Gal. over Regular after the Houston Refineries shut down because of floods. I used to only pay 20 cents a Gal. more, so went for it. I will stay with the cheap stuff as long as the Ping only happens at take off. My Dealer Tech Service told me 99% of their Customers use only the cheap stuff, in all their Brands.
    2016 RT Limited , Black & Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Default 990

sounds like the 990`s are some what a solid motor , I haven`t had this problem --- yet ---- has any 990`s ?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerjays View Post
    The computer system is supposed to compensate for lower octane fuel and the manual does not state you must use High test octane gas.
    Your manual recommends high octane and mine does NOT say anywhere that lower octane fuel is OK.

And the "computer should compensate" is a common misconception. The computer can ONLY compensate for "spark knock".
    It can do absolutely nothing for "compression ignition" whether or not that is aggravated by carbon deposits.

Just use premium fuel like the company recommends.
    The knocking can hurt your engine if it goes on long enough.
    Last edited by Easy Rider; 09-24-2017 at 05:58 PM.

Spyder Garage

I find it kind of funny that someone who spends $20-$30 grand on their Spyder and puts hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in accessories on it, many just for looks, will hesitate to put 91 octane fuel into it for the sake of saving 20-30 cents a gallon. If you drive 15k miles a year, which is a lot for most Spyder riders, and get about 35 mpg, then you are talking an extra $85-$125 per year in fuel when using premium. I just don't get why you would try to save money where it can do the most good, which is in how your Spyder runs. Just my 2 cents worth.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
    I find it kind of funny that someone who spends $20-$30 grand on their Spyder and puts hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in accessories on it, many just for looks, will hesitate to put 91 octane fuel into it for the sake of saving 20-30 cents a gallon. If you drive 15k miles a year, which is a lot for most Spyder riders, and get about 35 mpg, then you are talking an extra $85-$125 per year in fuel when using premium. I just don't get why you would try to save money where it can do the most good, which is in how your Spyder runs. Just my 2 cents worth.

I only use premium, In my case, I was stating, that no matter the brand, or the label of 91 or 93 doesn't stop the ping. In Minnesota we can even get ethanol free premium (for a really premium price) still no improvement.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PapaHotel View Post
    I only use premium, In my case, I was stating, that no matter the brand, or the label of 91 or 93 doesn't stop the ping. In Minnesota we can even get ethanol free premium (for a really premium price) still no improvement.
    That is different and I would definitely be having the dealer look at it until fixed under warranty. Anything that doesn't work right when following all of the recommendations in the manual would be reported to the dealer immediately by me. Maybe you have already done that, idk.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
    I just don't get why you would try to save money where it can do the most good, which is in how your Spyder runs. Just my 2 cents worth.
    +2 more cents from me.
    Penny wise and pound foolish.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PapaHotel View Post
    I only use premium, In my case, I was stating, that no matter the brand, or the label of 91 or 93 doesn't stop the ping.
    Then it likely is NOT fuel knock or ping......and you should have a shop check it out.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default PINGING = KNOCK

I have been using 87* since I bought my 2014 RT in Apr. of 14 ..... 35,000 miles , NO pinging and the bike is quite fast.... The gas isn't your issue . If the computer isn't doing what it's supposed to do ..... it needs to be corrected ................ Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911;1303465[SIZE=3
    If the computer isn't doing what it's supposed to do ..... it needs to be corrected ................ [/SIZE]
    I don't think you understand what the computer is supposed to do.......and what it can't do.

Spyder Garage

You may have answered your own question. If premium stops the ping....

Cost is a bit of an issue here. Each grade is mostly 10 cents higher than the other. Premium costs usually 20 cents more per gallon than regular. I use premium (90) octane whenever I can for the 's. My Vulcan and Subaru like 87 regular.

I don't care to much about the technical aspects. My story and I am sticking to it.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-25-2017 at 10:32 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default UNDERSTANDING

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Rider View Post
    I don't think you understand what the computer is supposed to do.......and what it can't do.
    REALLY ...... what do you think activates / controls the ANTI-KNOCK settings the engine has !!! ..... tiny Spyders ........ Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 09-26-2017 at 08:55 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    REALLY ...... what do you think activates / controls the ANTI-KNOCK settings the engine has !!! ..... tiny Spyders ........ Mike
    If you really want to learn something about spark knock versus compression knock and how the timing control works.......then show a little respect.
    Otherwise buzz off.

Spyder Garage

Default BUZZING

If you really want to learn something about spark knock versus compression knock and how the timing control works.......then show a little respect.
    Otherwise buzz off.
    ..... I do have respect !!!~ for those who warrant it ......... and please tell me how many you have DESIGNED & BUILT for your Spyder or anyone else's ..... Mike .................. PS , " Jealousy " is not an attractive Trait .... your welcome
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 09-26-2017 at 05:36 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ..... I do have respect !!!~ for those who warrant it ......... and please tell me how many you have DESIGNED & BUILT for your Spyder or anyone else's ..... Mike .................. PS , " Jealousy " is not an attractive Trait .... your welcome
    Demented rant ignored.

Spyder Garage

You didn't mention whether or not you have the manual or SE6, or whether or not you've had it checked with BUDS. It may not be the fuel you're using. There is a setting that can be changed using BUDS concerning the rpm at which the clutch grabs in the SE6. Obviously not in the manual. If you have an SE6 and this setting is too low, you will probably be lugging the engine. As the compression is very high on this engine, loading it at too low a speed can cause what you hear.
    2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Here's what happens to Triumph 1050 triples after using low octane fuel.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=t...w=1153&bih=805
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Default IGNORED ?????

Demented rant ignored.
    ... if you actually ignored MY post...then why is there another post ( from you ) ... this is how / what " Ignored " is ... you may read a post but you don't comment about it ........... Love - Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 09-26-2017 at 09:37 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default TRIUMPH

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    Here's what happens to Triumph 1050 triples after using low octane fuel.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=t...w=1153&bih=805
    It's sad that Triumph has fallen so far down the Technology ladder .... .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerjays View Post
    The computer system is supposed to compensate for lower octane fuel and the manual does not state you must use High test octane gas.

Bikerjays
    2015 Spyder RTS
    IDK about 2015 but my 2017 manual states:

Recommended FuelUse premium unleaded gasoline with
    an AKI (RON+MON)/2 octane rating of
    91, or an RON octane rating of 95.
    AFAIK, the computer, upon sensing what it perceives as knock from the knock sensor, retards the timing. So yes, it can compensate UP TO A POINT (determined by the program). It might retard timing till it hears the knock go away. So if it can do it within a window, you shouldn't hear anything. When it cannot, you will hear it. Keep it up and your engine goes south. So I would think that just because YOU cannot hear it doesn't mean the sensor cannot and has not acted upon it. On my car, we can scan it with a scanner. Not sure how to do it on a Sypder without BUDS. From what I understand, if the window is 20 degrees of retard, as long as the ECM can adjust by retarding the timing up to 20 degrees before the KS doesn't hear the knock, you won't see a "Check Engine" light.
    2017 F3 Limited , White

Spyder Garage

Where is the KS located on a 1330 and what's the p/number please?

Found it - item 26. Noise sensor. It can't be doing its job very well if you can hear pinging.

http://www.powersportsdiscount.com/o...a768/crankcase
    Last edited by Freddy; 09-28-2017 at 01:50 AM.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    W It can't be doing its job very well if you can hear pinging.
    More than one thing can cause knock or ping in the combustion chamber.

Several of those things are NOT AFFECTED AT ALL by retarding the timing.